PDA

View Full Version : Dairy free cooking

Andy Mac
18th February 2008, 03:56 PM
Hi there,
As I'm Chief Domestic Engineer now, I get to play in the kitchen more....more than I play in the shed!:( Tonight its pizza, and I have the dough in the bread maker, with herbs and garlic in the mix.
My main problem is I am lactose intolerant, like probably 20% of the population (or up to 95% if you're Asian, Maori or Negro:oo:), so I haven't cooked with cheese, cream or milk for 20yrs. Baking is generally pretty similar, just replace milk and butter with soy milk or margarine. However, I don't have to tell you pizza without cheese is a bit of an issue, and soy cheese is a complete waste of time! I could take Lactase tablets but they are a bit dear, and if my body doesn't deal with the dairy I don't reckon I should force it artificially.
So my way around it is make the pizza as you would any other, with all the favourite toppings, then I top it with beaten egg, slopping it around to cover everything. The egg sets and holds all the bits together, and it even looks the same as the cheesy ones...well that's what I tell myself:p. Full of fat and protein, just light on the lactose.
Tonight I'm going to try something a bit different in way of topping, and if it works I'll get back with a report.

Anyone else got any dairy free recipes they'd like to share?

Cheers,

echnidna
18th February 2008, 04:12 PM
what about using goats or sheep cheeese

Andy Mac
18th February 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through it.
I haven't really given goats or sheeps cheese a good go, maybe once or twice, but I guess I'm just leery of it. Getting rid of all the symptoms was such a relief, and whenever I inadvertently cop a dose I'm reminded of the worst!
Well, my experimental recipe for the evening was a success!:D My wife has decided she wants a break from tomato based things, although the kids and I love 'em. So I made a pizza using a thick white sauce, which I made from Nuttalex (marge), flour, & soy milk, with mustard and seasoning, then added fresh basil leaves at the end. Spread that on the pizza base, topped with sliced mushroom, white fish fillet (thinly sliced), chopped capsicum and anchovies. Added grated cheese inc. Parmesan to one half, and drizzled a bit of oil on mine. Really nice, a bit different! :2tsup: Should have put on a touch of garlic, although there was some in the dough base.

Cheers,

Wood Butcher
18th February 2008, 10:30 PM
Andy, Linda's almost drooling!!:D

Have to try that one for sure!!

echnidna
18th February 2008, 10:36 PM
I woz thinkin the same, now with a gluten free base.......

tea lady
18th February 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi Andy, I've been doing an easy pasta thing recently. It has tomatoes but not like a sauce.
Roasted vegetable pasta. Cut up red pepper, zuccinni, eggplant, 1/4red mushrooms, and whole cherry or mini roma tomatoes (Also good with yellow ones, and looks cool.:cool:) into 1 inchish cubes. Spread out on roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil (Lots) , sprinkle with chopped garlic. (Grind pepper over- goes without saying.) Roast for 45 minutes, tossing around a couple of times during cooking. (But if you forget its no disaster.) Sprinkle with chopped parsley and basil 10 minutes before end. Cook pasta (Penne is a good shape.) to be done at same time, drain and toss with vegetables. Can do this in roasting tray if there's room. Bung in bowls. I have parmigiana cheese on but I'm sure I would live without it. Whole little tomatoes are nice bursts of flavour. One of the few ways zucchinni is worth the trouble. Can leave eggplant out and not die too. Have also had asparagus in which is ok. Maybe add half way through roasting.

Andy Mac
18th February 2008, 11:40 PM
Hi Andy, I've been doing an easy pasta thing recently. It has tomatoes but not like a sauce.
Roasted vegetable pasta. Cut up red pepper, zuccinni, eggplant, 1/4red mushrooms, and whole cherry or mini roma tomatoes (Also good with yellow ones, and looks cool.:cool:) into 1 inchish cubes. Spread out on roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil (Lots) , sprinkle with chopped garlic. (Grind pepper over- goes without saying.) Roast for 45 minutes, tossing around a couple of times during cooking. (But if you forget its no disaster.) Sprinkle with chopped parsley and basil 10 minutes before end. Cook pasta (Penne is a good shape.) to be done at same time, drain and toss with vegetables. Can do this in roasting tray if there's room. Bung in bowls. I have parmigiana cheese on but I'm sure I would live without it. Whole little tomatoes are nice bursts of flavour. One of the few ways zucchinni is worth the trouble. Can leave eggplant out and not die too. Have also had asparagus in which is ok. Maybe add half way through roasting.

Thanks tea lady, that sounds good! The oil would coat the pasta? I'm going to try that soon.

Hi Rowan, Jules didn't seem too convinced at first, but afterwards reckons it was probably the meal I've ever cooked...in 15yrs, so I guess its a success:)

Cheers,

Andy Mac
2nd June 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi there,
Have been making a few dips lately, with hoummos the mainstay. I get well and truly sick of buying commercial dips that are traditionally made without dairy products only to get them home and find they've got the bl**dy stuff as an ingredient- like gaucamole and hoummos!:(( Not sure why, maybe something about limiting the shelf-life.
Anyway, here's my simple recipe:

1 can of chick peas, drained
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of minced chilli
juice of half a lemon
1 good tablespoon of tahini
1 dessertspoon of olive oil
pinch of salt

Blend it all together in a food processor. If its too dry add more oil, or even a dribble of soy milk to get it creamy, no need for cream or yoghurt, or any other rancid cow's secretion!!

Eat with toasted flat bread, YUM!:)

Cheers,

RufflyRustic
2nd June 2008, 04:57 PM
Very Yum!!! :):2tsup: