PDA

View Full Version : Report on building a GIS in the Netherlands (2008-2011)

SOLing
19th February 2008, 12:46 AM
Hello WoodWorkers!
while building a GIS I will try to keep a kind of report on the progress, with some comments and maybe some pictures.

As I am not so very experienced (I build a Waarschip 600 SV in the seventies, well actually my father build most of it and I paid for it all..) and after that sailed only in GRP boats (eq a Soling) this thread will be more interesting for starters like me I think.

First some info: I live in a small village in the southern part of Netherlands and wanted to do something with my hands, for as a tax attorney I do very little with my hands. After a lot of thinking I decided to build a small sailboat, that would have to fit into the garage.

after making a long list of all the (excluding) requirements I came up with a few designs and decided for the GIS, because of the simplicity in building and design ( I think: you have reached perfection if nothing can be left out) as well as the beauty of the boat, the rig and the information on the site of Michael Storer.

I will build the GIS in the garage of our second house in the Eifel in Germany, so there will be some delays in the progress. Also work takes up a lot of spare time, so do my wife, daughter, some excersise (ice speed skating, MTB) in the continuing battle to keep in shape / my weight down. But the remaining time will be spent on building the GIS.

Right now I have started and ended the marking of all ply, jigsawing it and planing the side panels of the hull. Last weekend I started on the mast: one of the narrow staves of the hollow mast is planed to size, next week hopefully the other one.

I planned the following order:
* woodwork
- marking and cutting the ply parts;
- mast, boom, lug yard,
- rudder and centreboard;
- centreboard case;
- preparing the bulkheads, transom;
- hull,
and from there on the instruction book.
* epoxy and glassing
* painting
* launching (planned for may 12 2011: I love to be able to make my planning and even be faster :wink:)

You can see some pictures on my blog:

http://soling133.blogspot.com

I will update it next week: duty calls!:(

bitingmidge
19th February 2008, 01:03 AM
I'm looking forward to it I must say, but your blogspot address is a dud at the moment!

Cheers,

P
:D

SOLing
19th February 2008, 03:00 AM
I'm looking forward to it I must say, but your blogspot address is a dud at the moment!

Cheers,

P
:D
Well, thanks. Sorry about the link!

I learned a lot in the last few hours about metatags, searchengines, html etc. I also had to change the name of the blog for some reason: here it is:

http://soling133.blogspot.com

It worked for me some five minutes ago. But I learned about computers, software etc: what functions one moment, does not neccesary function the next. Keep me informed!

I also will / have put some more pictures on:

http://soling.smugmug.com/

More room and possibilities!

Boatmik
19th February 2008, 09:54 AM
Howdy Soling,

You can use direct links to your photos like this if you put them up on "smugmug".

http://soling.smugmug.com/photos/254083348_4zNoJ-M.jpg
This image is SOLing's and shows he has built the best table in the world for doing many sorts of woodwork.

Or you can upload images you have on your computer - when writing a reply look further down the page to see a button saying "manage attachments.

The images do have to be edited down to 100kb and 800 x 600 or less.

A neat little applet if you are using windows XP or Vista is to use a Microsoft applet for resizing - Photo resizer - it allows you to right click with the mouse on the image file and the menu gives you the choice to resize.
Look on this page for Image Resizer in the right margin
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Michael

SOLing
19th February 2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the information. I wil learn probably more about the use of computers than on woodworking or boatbuilding!

Ab

SOLing
21st February 2008, 08:23 PM
Boatmik told me, that inserting the pictures is much easier. So here are the first.

pic 1: the two sheets ready to be marked for the hull panels
pic 2: the "ever-ready-to-be-consulted" instructions
pic 3: the first side panel cut out
pic 4: first hull panet to be planed to size
pic 5: removed...
pic 6: the jigsaw with the tape marker for the extra mm to be added
pic 7: all ply parts ready for the rest of the work
pic 8: a view from the "wharf" the garage. No water to be seen..

Seeing this and reading it: I think it is a bit boring, isn't it?:C

Oh well (part1) I will go on until the comments start to bore me:D

Next weekend I will make some pictures of marking and planing the mast parts.

Boatmik
21st February 2008, 09:07 PM
How are you finding the table? Did you make that from Biting Midge's suggestions? He has one too and loves it.

I've used it a lot now - and I agree - it makes it easy to clamp things down and to cut them with different types of saws too.

MIK

SOLing
21st February 2008, 11:16 PM
Hello Mike,

the table is indeed "stolen" from the idea of Biting Midge, although I can remember that in my fathers shed there was somting like that, only smaller: he used that to take with him when he had a job to do at a client (he did not have a car, so everything had to be light and multi functional). It works great, I only have made a horizontal connection between the legs as to make it more stabel: I use it as a table to plane the large parts. I connect them to the side of the table and then it is easy to make long and comfortable strokes.

SOLing
26th February 2008, 01:30 AM
This saturday I could work on the GIS all day:), as my wife was busy writing a book (on quality in project management in the schoolsystem...isn't that nice?).

I did the second narrow stave of the mast, made the the internal blocks to size, so now the mast is ready to assemble , prepared the centreboard and rudder for the glueing. After that I had some time left to start on the tiller, as I want to do all "small" parts before actually starting on the boat itself. Because of the temperature I think I can start doing the glueing next week or so. Then I will start on the boom and the lugyard.

The pictures will come later this week, I hope, as I forgot to take my camera back home ( or forgot to take my laptop to the Eifel, the same result: no pictures yet). But maybe I can blame my neighbour, who is a cattle farmer: he wanted to discuss the impossibilities of the German Taxsystem for farmers to earn a nice living, over a beer or two..three.:? I cannot remember.

As promised: the pictures will follow.:B

SOLing

SOLing
29th February 2008, 06:07 AM
Here some pictures of the progress of this week.

pic 1: the start of the hollow mast with fairing batten
pic 2: mast plus inner spacers: a try out
pic 3: a detail
pic 4: centerboard + rudder ready to be glued
pic 5: tiller
pic 6: a space of the tiller (to be grinded etc)
pic 7: boom marked and ready to be rounded
pic 8: two corners have gone
pic 9: an octagonal
pic 10: 16-sided
pic 11: almost round
pic12: where did this come from?

see you next time!

SOLing

Boatmik
29th February 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi SOLing,

It is great to have some good pictures of making the components of the Goat.

Would it be possible for you to show a picture of the spar gauge and also one of how you hold it on the spar to mark the octagon?

This is a great series - thankyou!

Michael

robhosailor
1st March 2008, 04:16 AM
It is great to have some good pictures of making the components of the Goat.

Exactly MIK,

I've linked this topic (especially last pictures of mast building) for my yahoo michalak-polska group for friend who looking for how to build great wooden mast!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michalak-polska/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michalak-polska/message/2255

My friend Wojtek seriously consider to build his masts by your way :)

Thank you MIK and SOLing :):):)

SOLing
2nd March 2008, 07:21 AM
Hello MIK,

unfortunately I donot use a gauge, as I find that to complicated. I used an old fashioned way as you can see in the pictures. All it takes is a pencil and some experience. I can draw rather exact lines some 25 mm from the side, more experienced people can even do 60mm.

I think the advantage is, that I can apply some pressure on the pencil and in that way make a line thati s good visible.

SOLIng

SOLing
2nd March 2008, 07:49 AM
Saturday I could go to the "wharf" and do some work on the GIS :). Made some good progress, as you will see.

pic 1: boom + yard, rounded, tapered
pic 2: the rounded top of the yard (or boom)
pic 3: the "washers" for the screws are prepared
pic 4: the "washers" sawn and lying on the floor, waiting to be collected
pic 5: putting the screws in
pic 6: working on the transom
pic 7: bulkhead 1
pic 8: bulkhead 2

For the framing I used a (lightweight) mahogany. It adds some weight (sorry MIK:B), but I love the look of varnished gaboon and mahogany. I had that on my Waarschip too. The insides and transom will be varnished, the hull painted. As I bought a cream sail (Ken O'Brien, Aus) the hull will be dark green (racing green, as the old Jaguars) or a very dark blue (Gelders Blue it is called in Holland). I will keep you informed.

SOLing

SOLing
2nd March 2008, 08:51 AM
Exactly MIK,

I've linked this topic (especially last pictures of mast building) for my yahoo michalak-polska group for friend who looking for how to build great wooden mast!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michalak-polska/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michalak-polska/message/2255

My friend Wojtek seriously consider to build his masts by your way :)

Thank you MIK and SOLing :):):)

Thank you, robhosailor for the linking.
On my smugmug site are more pictures (see earlier in this thread) I will make a special thread on making the mast and maybe some other things after all the woodwork has been done.

SOLing

Boatmik
2nd March 2008, 06:43 PM
Hello MIK,

unfortunately I donot use a gauge, as I find that to complicated. I used an old fashioned way as you can see in the pictures. All it takes is a pencil and some experience. I can draw rather exact lines some 25 mm from the side, more experienced people can even do 60mm.

I think the advantage is, that I can apply some pressure on the pencil and in that way make a line thati s good visible.

SOLIng

For other readers ... I don't recommend this method. The spar gauge makes sure that at each point along the spar that the spar ends up being an octagon.

The spars are tapered - ie the cross section changes so the spar guage is the best way of accounting for this.

Looks like SOLing has done a good job - but I do recommend using the gauge that is in the plans.

Best wishes
Michael

SOLing
3rd March 2008, 12:02 AM
Hello MIK,

thanks for the reply. You are right, using a gauge is better.

However, as I do not have a table saw, circular saw or band saw I had to do the ripp sawing for the tapering by hand :(. Considering the small amount, that had to go for tapering, I first made a straight octagon, than straight 16-sided, then round.

The last phase was tapering it, all by hand planing it. I took about two hours for the boom and lug yard. And I liked it (and that is why I build the boat, just for the fun of buillding it. But I am also looking forward to sailing if, of course!:wink:)

SOLing

Boatmik
4th March 2008, 01:19 PM
(I had to write that for other people SOLing - glad you are enjoying the process!!!)
MIK

SOLing
28th January 2009, 01:35 AM
After a long delay (almost all planned for...:rolleyes:) here some more pictures on the building.

Right now the situation is this: all parts are ready (mast, boom, yard, centre board case, centre board, rudder), most parts are epoxied or glassed, hull is assembled, except for the bottom. sail has been ordered and delivered (Ken O'Brien from Australia: faster and cheaper (including taxes) than when ordered in Holland! Maybe better too?). Next weekend the bottom goes.

The neighbors were quite surprised, that something that starts to look like a real boat came from all those sheets. I will have to do morein the future to keep suprising those nice beer drinking (part of the delay) German neighbors.

here the pictures: (follow later: problems with the connection)

SOLing
1st February 2009, 08:16 AM
Notes by Boatmik

A beautiful centreboard.

Bulkhead - number 2 I would guess - without framing.

Joining up the bottom using "Gravity Clamps!". Can also use the plasterboard/drywall screws as suggested in the plan. A couple of fine nails will prevent any accidental movement if not using screws.

Hull shell assembled. After lots of preparation a boat suddenly appears.

View showing the aggressive bow that gives the boat so much character.

SOLing
3rd February 2009, 12:35 AM
THANKS Mike for the comments you added: I was too fast with sending the pics to the server. If I was as fast with building...:wink:

Here some more pics. Yesterday I put the bottom under. It really looks like a boat now. And a nice one too. It looked good in the pictures, but in real life it is even better. I cannot wait for the finishing and then: The Open Dutch GIS Championship?? If Joost is ready for it...but when will I be? still planning for 2011, but maybe 2010...2009???

95514the hull with one gunwale attached

95515the hull with 2 gun wales attached. still a dry run.

95516 hull turned, rough planing of the chine logs done.

95518chine logs and bulkheads planed. Checking the bevels.

95519 dry run of the bottom

95517 hull ready, waiting for the glue and bottom.

95521 bottom ready for glue

95520 idem

95522 bottom glued on hull. waiting to dry.

Next week: fitting the centreboardcase, making a nice bow, partners, rear tank seat and mid seat. No glueing, only lovely woodwork! (I have some problems with the epoxy: I notice I am very sensitive to the epoxy, so I have to be careful to take a lot of precautions: gloves, mask, safety glasses, cream etc etc...But it is worth the trouble!:U

Joost
3rd February 2009, 04:52 AM
Good to see the progress made on SOling's GIS!

I am definately up for a Dutch GIS meet and great. Unfortunately I am still stuck in the finishing phase after a major mishap when painting the outside of the hull. :doh:

Let’s say it like this: I shouldn’t have ignored my girlfriend’s advice and the boat would have been in the water months ago! :bigcry:

Lessons learned in the process: always make sure the surface is very, very clean (using water with ammonia diluted in it rather than pure cleaning spirit) before painting, definitely ensure that the paint is fully cured before sanding it, and always check whether dilution of the paint is required due to low temperatures.

After this disastrous first try to paint the outside of the hull, I decided to strip the boat of all layers of paint (a lot of scraping and sanding) and to start allover. The outside of the hull was faired again with epoxy filler and re-coated with an additional 2 layers of epoxy (the outside was already coated with the recommended 3 layers of epoxy).

Then, lots of sanding by hand ensured a smooth hull without dents and such. She now has some 6 layers of primer and final coats on the outside. One final coat on the outside is to follow (I am not happy with the last layer which should have been the last one) and 5 coats of varnish on the inside should finish her.

Boatmik
3rd February 2009, 12:25 PM
Haha ... what a great idea ... two GISs in the Netherlands ... make sure you get some windmills or a field of Tulips in the background guys!!!!

But in the meantime .. it is nice to see that you are both getting on with the building and overcoming some setbacks to get closer to launching when the weather gets nicer.

Best wishes
Michael!

SOLing
16th February 2009, 07:39 PM
Here some more pictures. Side supports for the front and rear tank, mast support and partner, fitting the seats. All parts for the hull are ready, this week the assembly of the seat supports, the seats! Oh, donot forget the epoxy for the inside of the tanks, and the bottom. And the outide of the hull. And the filling of all the holes. And the fillets..aAnd.. :rolleyes: But first things first: skiing in Switzerland next week. :D Then some work :q. Then starting in march: the gunwales, breasthook, knees, sanding, varnishing, painting...: I will keep you informed.

bottom completed: planed, rounded. A major milestone in my planning:U
some home made casters to make moving the hull around in the shop easier. I will make the supports a bit higher: easier on my back!
the centreboard, but this time glued to the hull.
working on the mast partner and mast support.
the mast partner ready to be put into the hull
the mast support into the hull
a jig to mark the side supports for the front and rear seat.
the same. The clamp is just for the picture.
the side supports for the seat. Some bevelled, some not
side supports front seat with clamps.
centreboard and gusset
rear seat supports with clamps
some extra pressure on the supports for the front seat. this method works fine!
the same method with the rear seat supports
mast partner and supports glued, using cheap gravity clamps, as Mike calls them.
all seats fitted in place. took more time than I thought: measuring, planing, measuring, planing...
rear seat
mid seat, centreboard, gusset
front seat

SOLing
5th April 2009, 11:12 PM
Yesterday I attached the inner gunwales to the hull. All that has to be done is glueing the front and rear seat to the hull. And then just the painting...:rolleyes: Maybe some sailing this year? I will keep you informed.

I also bought all the stuff (blocks, sheets etc) for the rigging. The rudder fittings were not the ones I wanted to buy, as the pins of the fittings are quite long. And the hole for the helm is quite narrow... So I will have to make the pins smaller or the hole in the transom bigger. Anyone another idea (except buying new fittings, I thought of that)??

I could cheaply buy an excellent Andersen ratchet main sheet block ( I love the Andersen winches) at a shop that stopped selling dinghy equipment. But even with that: buying a boat is almost the same as sailing one: you need time and money and you never have enough of either one.

Here some pictures:

Outer gunwale attached
spacers on the (future?) starboard side
inner gunwales attached

For the inner gunwales I used almost all clamps: as i wanted to have mahogany gunwales. How stupid can one be? But i really looks nice. That is the best part. of it.

Boatmik
6th April 2009, 12:34 AM
Looking Great Soling!

The front end the boat looks very aggressive from that angle!

BTW .. have you got a piece supporting the front edge of the middle seat yet ... it should be 19 x 45 with the 45mm vertical.

Boat looks great!

MIK

Joost
6th April 2009, 06:41 AM
Hello Soling,

Good to hear that fine progress is made on your GIS!

I see a GIS get together coming up here. Would be nice to sail two GIS's on the same stretch of water. Perhaps we can comply with Boatmik's request for windmills in the pictures...

Keep up the good work.

Joost

SOLing
6th April 2009, 06:08 PM
Looking Great Soling!

The front end the boat looks very aggressive from that angle!

BTW .. have you got a piece supporting the front edge of the middle seat yet ... it should be 19 x 45 with the 45mm vertical.

Boat looks great!

MIK

Hello Mik,

I have made a support from WRC 19*19. Maybe I should add some more to get a 19 * 45? or will a 19 * 19 do?

Good to have your knowledge..!

thanks

SOLing

SOLing
6th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Hello Soling,

Good to hear that fine progress is made on your GIS!

I see a GIS get together coming up here. Would be nice to sail two GIS's on the same stretch of water. Perhaps we can comply with Boatmik's request for windmills in the pictures...

Keep up the good work.

Joost

hello Joost,

I am working hard to get the boat ready this year. (Which by the way causes a small problem, as my planning was for 2011. And my wife already told me, that she expects met to have all my work done withing the planned period in the future....).

It really would be nice to have a come together somewhere. The windmills can be photoshopped if necessary! As I live in Limburg we have some windmills, but none near the water. But a nice picture with a windmill on the grass can be made within 4 km of my house. and the Lakes of the river Maas are from there only 3 km.

Maybe you have better ideas? BTW, where did you buy the sail?

greetings

Ab

Joost
7th April 2009, 07:41 AM
Hello Soling,

The sail was purchased from Duckworks in the States. They also provided me with the pintles and gudgeons and some very nice leather to cover the spars where they touch the mast. The USD exchange rate has been very favourable for us the past year, just like the GBP exchange rate...

I have used normal pintles (not the type with the long pin going through both gudgeons) and made the hole in the transom a bit bigger to be able to easily remove the rudder box (still an appr. 10 cm distance to the deck).

Next time I go sailing (might be a few weeks though due to other engagements), I will make some detailed pictures of the fittings and post them on my Flickr page.

Regards, Joost

Boatmik
7th April 2009, 09:03 AM
Hello Mik,

I have made a support from WRC 19*19. Maybe I should add some more to get a 19 * 45? or will a 19 * 19 do?

Good to have your knowledge..!

thanks

SOLing

Howdy SOLing,

Yes, it needs to be deeper. If you can add another piece to make it a total of 45mm deep it will be strong enough.

Best wishes
Michael

SOLing
20th April 2009, 06:35 AM
This Easter I was able to make som real progress, as you can see by the pictures! Great sailing on the beautiful Grass Lakes of Germany :D
(I just could not resist the hoisting of the sail).

GIS sailing on the Grass Lakes of Germany
GIS moored at the Eifel house
The support of the mid seat made stronger
The breasthook, just glued
The not so famous Dutch Shipyard at Euscheid
First painting job: varnishing the yard and boom
Glueing the rearseat
Glueing the frontseat

MiddleAgesMan
20th April 2009, 06:44 AM
Hey! I like the way you made parallelograms with your gunwale spacer blocks. :)

Good looking Goat, that!

SOLing
20th April 2009, 07:58 AM
Hey! I like the way to made parallelograms with your gunwale spacer blocks. :)

Good looking Goat, that!

I have to admit, I stole the idea from you! So thanks! But it took quite some time to make them and to make the spaces in between look good, spacxe the evenly also because I made the spacer where the rowing dolls a bit wider.

SOLing

MiddleAgesMan
20th April 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm sure I wasn't the first to cut angles on the spacers. I must have seen it somewhere on the intertubes, at some point.

Mine are cut at about 22 degrees IIRC. I was trying to avoid a drastic difference in the area of the gluing surfaces as you set them back and forth. I doubt that is critical, though.

Joost
21st April 2009, 04:31 AM
Good to see the progress SOLing!

If you continue with this pace, you should be on the water in a couple of months rather than 2011!!

Joost

SOLing
21st April 2009, 06:09 PM
I'm sure I wasn't the first to cut angles on the spacers. I must have seen it somewhere on the intertubes, at some point.

Mine are cut at about 22 degrees IIRC. I was trying to avoid a drastic difference in the area of the gluing surfaces as you set them back and forth. I doubt that is critical, though.

It took quite some time to make nice and even space between the spacers, keeping into account the frames, knees and the extra long spacer I made on the place where the rowing locks will come (as I am not a woodworker but a tax attorney, I like to build in extra safety on dangerous spots:wink:)

I made the spacers about 45 degrees, in that way the sides alway were parrallel. And it was easier to make)

I really liked the report on the building of your GIS. But I think I will take less time sanding and painting. More a like workin boat finish.:-

SOLing

SOLing
21st April 2009, 06:26 PM
Good to see the progress SOLing!

If you continue with this pace, you should be on the water in a couple of months rather than 2011!!

Joost

hello Joost,

I made the planning before actually strating the building , as you should do. Then I decided to work only 4 days a week. Well, I did all the normal work in 4 days, as it turned out. So I had a day extra for building the GIS. Unfortunately I told my wife I did not work on wednesday any more. So she reminded me, that I had made some promises on maintaining the house, visiting my mother, my mother-in -law, some friends, and then the garden also needed some work... But all in all: that extra day speeded up the work quite a lot.

But there is some difference in opinions what can be done, once the GIs is finished. I am looking for a new project. So is my wife. I will keep you informed, if my project comes through. Otherwise.. just the Open Dutch GIS Championship:D.

SOLing

SOLing
23rd April 2009, 05:25 AM
I have been working on the GIS today (wednesday). Beginning with the final stages of the building: making everything nice and round and smooth.

Today I did the spacers, the gunwales, the breasthook and the rear hooks. It took the whole day, so not much progress, but to have a good looking boat the painting must be good. And for the painting to be good the underground has to be good. And for the underground to be good you have to work hard with chisels, sandpaper, planes, patience...

With some parts the glue didnot fill completely the gap. I will take care of that later when filling other holes (wood dust epoxy filler I think).

Here are the pictures. Not very exciting, but part of the job.

The spacers. The bigger one is for the rowing lock

The "stem protector" and the end of the outer gunwale. Made of mahogany. Both will be varnished.

The rear hook

As I worked on the gunwale, I noticed I had forgotten to remove some glue from the portside. This is the stem side..

and this the stern side. That will take some time to repair:((

The breasthook.

I am still thinking of a way to attach the mooring rope: the idea of bitingmidge is nice, but the " protector" of the stem of mahogany I made, is to small. And making a hole in the breasthook for the rope looks awful (it took so much time to make this part:wink:). Any one an idea?

MiddleAgesMan
23rd April 2009, 07:21 AM
I believe you are referring to the towing eye Peter has in Gruff. I tried to put mine in the same way but I probably won't use it for anything other than securing the bow down on the trailer (or towing in an emergency of some sort).

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/GoatIslandSkiffConstruction021.jpg

I have the same small piece of mahogany as an outer stem that yours appears to have.

Before I put on the outer stem I drilled the holes for the bow eye through the stem and edges of the 6mm ply:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/GoatIslandSkiffConstruction011.jpg

Once the outer stem was glued on I used the holes in the true stem as a guide and using a long tapered bit I drilled out through the outer stem. As you said this piece is too narrow to take the bow eye so I cut a flat where the eye needed to go, almost back to the ply edge, then rounded the ends and shaped everything with a rasp. The bow eye thus sits about 9mm back from the rounded front of the outer stem. It was never my intention to leave this piece bright--it's painted white along with the rest of the hull.

MiddleAgesMan
23rd April 2009, 07:26 AM
Your breast hook is really nice--you even carried the angles of the last spacer blocks into the edge and then made a nice transition across to the other side. I was lazy when I put mine in, or in a hurry. I figured to give it a nice shape after it was installed but that was a mistake. Once in I realized I had made extra work so I left mine straight.

MiddleAgesMan
23rd April 2009, 07:39 AM
I had intended to drill a hole for a small line through the breast hook, rounding the edges nicely on the top. The line would just be secured with a stopper knot. But I never got around to drilling that hole and after all of the epoxy and varnish coats were on I was loath to mess it up. My Goat will live on a trailer but on those rare occasions I might want to tie alongside a dock I'll just pass the line through one of the spaces in the gunwale.

I did put holes in the quarter knees, however. Not round holes though, I just cut a little from the inner corner where the sides meet the transom. The gaps are sized to take a small line, secured in place with stopper knots.

SOLing
23rd April 2009, 06:04 PM
I had intended to drill a hole for a small line through the breast hook, rounding the edges nicely on the top. The line would just be secured with a stopper knot. But I never got around to drilling that hole and after all of the epoxy and varnish coats were on I was loath to mess it up. My Goat will live on a trailer but on those rare occasions I might want to tie alongside a dock I'll just pass the line through one of the spaces in the gunwale.

I did put holes in the quarter knees, however. Not round holes though, I just cut a little from the inner corner where the sides meet the transom. The gaps are sized to take a small line, secured in place with stopper knots.

Thanks MAM, for the kind words and the reaction to my question. Good idea to cut al little corner from the quarter knee. That will be a little difficult right now for my woodworking skills...:wink:But maybe a small round hole in the same place will work and lok nice too.

SOLing

joern
24th April 2009, 09:29 AM
I am still thinking of a way to attach the mooring rope: the idea of bitingmidge is nice, but the " protector" of the stem of mahogany I made, is to small. And making a hole in the breasthook for the rope looks awful (it took so much time to make this part:wink:). Any one an idea?

with my GIS, I'v done a hole 12 mm diameter across the inner stem parallel with the back side of the stem around 8 cm over the bottom. I will glue a short piece of tube (stainless) inside, so if needed, I can fit a 8/10 mm shacklebolt in or thread a rope directly through.
You will see only a small black spot at the bow and there is nothing to hook accidentally in/under.

My helling (Shipyard) is in Bonn (125 km north-east of Euscheid), I would like to have a closer look to your GIS. Would you mind?

Greetings - Jörn

SOLing
27th April 2009, 05:59 PM
Hello Joern,

Thanks for the idea. looks good. I never thought about putting a short tube in the stem!

No problem visiting me in Euscheid. Give me a PM and I will send you my Handynumber and the adress.

I will be in Euscheid next wednesday and next weekend. But just give me a call to maken an appointment

Greetings

SOLing

Boatmik
27th April 2009, 06:48 PM
Nice to see you all creating these networks! MIK

keyhavenpotter
27th April 2009, 06:49 PM
Chris has done a similar short tube, in copper, across the back of the stem on Trim.

http://strathkanchris.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/21-03-09-016.jpg

Chris has used this neat tube idea before. After cutting to length he uses a reamer to just open out the ends and soften the entry holes.

Brian

Boatmik
27th April 2009, 09:36 PM
It is a nice idea. Could be a bit higher from the water than this ... probably doesn't really matter, just a racing nicety on my side.

The stem won't be very deep in the water most of the time at all.

MIK

SOLing
28th April 2009, 06:22 AM
would a reinforcement be necessary (on the hull sides and / or the stem), when I put the tube just above the frontseat?
SOLing

joern
29th April 2009, 08:59 AM
No idea, but probably not. The load is distributed via stem to a lot of ply. But an attachment point for pulling lines low down is better for the boat if pulling the GIS with a fast (motor)boat. Therefore some inflatable dinghys have their pull-ring almost at the bottom. And it's for bigger boats as well: the wallys have their anchor gear in the bottom, not only for the look, but also for the better pulling angle with the anchor line/chain.

Jörn

Boatmik
29th April 2009, 09:17 AM
Howdy,

I don't think the GIS will be the easiest boat to tow ... not unmanned anyhow. That bow and chines are going to have a bit of bite to make her wander - though I will be interested to see what happens in reality.

The most common use for the rope at the bow is to tie the boat down. Putting the ring or U bolt near the front seat height is the strongest part of the boat.

So recommend either just above or just under that point.

If using a U bolt it goes over the seat height. I drill oversize holes (not if you are clear finishing the outside of the hull!), fill them with glue mix, redrill to the right diameter, glue a 6mm ply pad on the back of the stem to prevent splits. This is the simplest option.

The flared pipe method does require some reinforcement and you can even do it without pipe. So I would tend to put it just under the seat level. Have a look here for the method. Nick follows up with pics of doing it - bless his cotton socks!
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=746675#post746675

Best wishes
Michael

SOLing
25th May 2009, 05:59 AM
As I stated in my last post, I almost finished the building (only the bottom runners have to be fit to the hull). So now the best part comes (except for the sailing ofcourse): painting :rolleyes:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106112&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1243191012 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106112&d=1243191012)

So here are some pictures of the almost completed, varnished interior. I only have to put the hatches in.

In general the interior looks nice, if you donot come to close ,if you know about wooden boats. She even looks nice close, if you know nothing about boats (as do my nice German neighbours. They know about cows, hay, corn, beer. Even about wood. But fortunately nothing about wooden boats).

Here are the pictures I took this sunday after 6 layers of varnish.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106110&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1243191012 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106110&d=1243191012)

Now I only have to make the choice for the color of the hull. My German neighbors suggested a nice black/yellow/red. Or white topside and black hull. My friend a nice bright orange. They are too occupied with soccer. I am sure of that. They know nothing about wooden boats. But a lot about beer.

Wednesday I will start with the outside of the hull: three layers of epoxy. And glassing the rudder (forgot that when I did the centreboard. German beer is to blame. Not me).

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106117&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1243191012 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106117&d=1243191012)

I will keep sending pictures of this boring process.

Greetings, Ab

BobWes
25th May 2009, 06:33 AM
Ab -

I know nothing about cows, hay, or corn... I know a little bit about beer and a little tiny bit about wooden boats, but your boat looks GREAT! :2tsup:

And there is nothing boring about seeing the pictures of your progress.

Bob

joern
25th May 2009, 06:34 AM
Well done. I'm not that far, still busy with (after doing a dry run) epoxying bulkheads in the flat stage. I hope for 3D next weekend. By the way- do you made your decision for a towing/tying down device? Greetings - Jörn

SOLing
25th May 2009, 07:09 AM
Well done. I'm not that far, still busy with (after doing a dry run) epoxying bulkheads in the flat stage. I hope for 3D next weekend. By the way- do you made your decision for a towing/tying down device? Greetings - Jörn

Hello Jörn,

Thanks. I hope you enjoy the building. I sure did, even with all things that went wrong. But the advantage of a wooden boat: just glue in an new piece!

I decided to use non of the towing things. I liked the pipe most. like the one MIK suggested, but I already had the front seat glued in..:rolleyes: So no towing thins. I will use for the time being the gunwales/spacers. And maybe later..just glue in a new piece??:)

Greetings, Ab

SOLing
25th May 2009, 07:16 AM
Ab -

I know nothing about cows, hay, or corn... I know a little bit about beer and a little tiny bit about wooden boats, but your boat looks GREAT! :2tsup:

And there is nothing boring about seeing the pictures of your progress.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I reffered to the painting, when I said boring. As a matter of fact I really enjoy the building process. But unfortunately the painting is a part of it..:wink:

Thanks for the compliments on the boat: My German neighbors yesterday wanted to name the GIS: "Das Boot" . But I have strong feelings against that name, as in the movie the U-Boot sinks... not a good omen for a boat. They will come up next weekend with a new name. If I have beer.

Greetings Ab

seajak
25th May 2009, 11:03 AM
But I have strong feelings against that name, as in the movie the U-Boot sinks... not a good omen for a boat.

My young bloke has christened our new dinghy "the Undertaker" :doh:. His mother is not impressed :o .

cheers,
clay

Boatmik
25th May 2009, 11:55 AM
Now I only have to make the choice for the color of the hull. My German neighbors suggested a nice black/yellow/red. Or white topside and black hull. My friend a nice bright orange.

They are too occupied with soccer.

Greetings, Ab

Howdy Ab,

That made me laugh out loud in the cafe I am sitting at (I am working .. OK!).

Lots of people looked at me!

The boat looks wonderful! It is really looking like you will be launched this season ... I mean the sailing season .. not the football season!

MIK

Boatmik
25th May 2009, 12:14 PM
I will use for the time being the gunwales/spacers. And maybe later..just glue in a new piece??:)

Greetings, Ab

Howdy, Be a little bit careful with the gunwales/spacers. They are strong enough and placed correctly for any load the boat can put on them - but if the boat is tied up and it moves suddenly the whole weight of the boat could be pulling one of the inwale blocks off the hull.

The good places to tie are around the mast, to the inwale where the traveller is (there should be a couple of screws put through the inwale right through to the gunwale to make sure those two blocks never come off the side of the hull.

Also the inwale close to the knees should be a lot stronger too.

MIK

SOLing
25th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Hello MIK,

thanks for the advice. I already thought about that. Maybe I will make an extra short frame against the frame at bhd 2 and 3, starboard and port, and make a hole in that extra frame to use for tieing the boat. For towing only the mast / partner will do :).

Now I think about the extra frames: no way. I am glad the varnishing is finished (for the moment) :wink:.

Ab

Boatmik
25th May 2009, 11:43 PM
Howdy .. the screw through the inwale block into the gunwale will be more effective than a fake frame anyhow. So you could go that way.

Or

You could put a horn cleat either
into the middle of the front seat toward the front of the boat, or
one each side screwed into the inwale, through the inwale spacer and into the gunwale.

I don't like horn cleats at the back of the boat as they will catch the mainsheet at a bad moment!

MIK

SOLing
28th May 2009, 06:02 AM
Today I had my day off and decided to go to Euscheid and do the thing I feared most: making the slot for the centreboard. And was I right!

Before glueing the centreboard in, I made some small holes into the hull to indicate where the slot would go. Bright Idea 1. Next I indicated on the outside of the hull with a pencil where the important holes were. Bright Idea 2.

Because the interior was almost ready, I turned the hull, looked for the holes and started to make the hole for the router with a speed drill where the slot would have to go. Athough the hull is only 6 mm, the hole was much deeper. And the wood that came out of the hole became white. I have used white wood in only one place in the boat: the spacers for the centre board case!

I looked better, looked under the hull, looked again and saw my mistake: the hole for the router was on the wrong side of the little holes :B:doh:

After some moments (I will not tell you what I said or thought) I made a new hole for the router and from there it went all right: made the slot, sanded the slot, sanded the hull, glued the bottom runners.

Pictures are here. Pay special attention for the picture with the two large holes:D

Greetings, Ab

NB I filled the first hole, no real harm done, just hurt my ego.

Boatmik
28th May 2009, 01:12 PM
Howdy ... at least it is done now.

Nice thing about getting past a stage that we fear ... is that the fear is gone after.

Maybe Rosa Luxemburg said something about that too? :-)

MIK

SOLing
28th May 2009, 08:27 PM
Howdy ... at least it is done now.

Nice thing about getting past a stage that we fear ... is that the fear is gone after.

Maybe Rosa Luxemburg said something about that too? :-)

MIK

Hello MIK,

"Order rules in Berlin. Thou stupid executioners! Your order has been build on sand! The revolution will already reverb loudly tomorrow and you will fearfully hear her say with the sound of trumpets: I was, I am and I will be!"

Does not have much to do with building boats, but her famous (if you are a special kind of old time socialist and an enemy of Lenin) last words still carry something to learn for us in the present, I think.

Greetings, Ab

(NB translation from the 1970-1975 edition of her collected works, translation from German by me, so quite inadequate)

CCBB
29th May 2009, 08:10 AM
Ab, The more boats you build the more surprisingly comfortable you get at making holes in your boats, i have found after quite a number of boats. BUT! You also get better at sucking it up when you make holes in the wrong place and fixing them!!!!! Don't worry...that was nothing based on the pics. Enjoy. Boat looks good. Keep steamin' ahead!

Cheers,
Clint

Boatmik
29th May 2009, 10:20 AM
Yes Ab,

I always like seeing Rosa's words at the bottom of your posts.

It is interesting how some words lose their power quickly as time goes by ... but others are just perfect forever!

I must have a closer look at the history too. I really only know as much about her as you have said above.

MIK

SOLing
29th May 2009, 06:27 PM
Ab, The more boats you build the more surprisingly comfortable you get at making holes in your boats, i have found after quite a number of boats. BUT! You also get better at sucking it up when you make holes in the wrong place and fixing them!!!!! Don't worry...that was nothing based on the pics. Enjoy. Boat looks good. Keep steamin' ahead!

Cheers,
Clint

Thanks Clint, for the encouragement. When I have built more boats, I will let you know if it worked the same for me. But I am a bit stubborn...

greetings

Ab

SOLing
29th May 2009, 06:35 PM
Yes Ab,

I always like seeing Rosa's words at the bottom of your posts.

It is interesting how some words lose their power quickly as time goes by ... but others are just perfect forever!

I must have a closer look at the history too. I really only know as much about her as you have said above.

MIK

Hello Mik,

way of topic (?). My grandfather was a great admirer of Rosa Luxemburg. And he influenced me a lot. He even arranged with my father, that I didnot have to leave school when my results were very, very bad (my father had to work a lot of overtime paying for my education).

My grandfather was a real old school communist up to 1956 (the revolution in Hungary). Then he left the Communist Party. He taught me some real useful things (as did my father and mother of course!). Two thing that I still live by are the words of Rosa Luxemburg in my signature and the saying: "rules are for people who cannot think".

If you want to now more about Rosa (who got executed during the Spartacus uprising in Berlin just after WW 1) , the Wikipedia page is a good start.

Nice that you are interested.

Kind regards, Ab

Boatmik
30th May 2009, 01:08 AM
I will head to wikipedia tomorrow. My father spent a lot of his life left of centre too. However he lost interest in dark red when the tanks rolled into Prague.

He actually attended one of the huge Communist Youth events in Moscow while he was living in England and Europe ... about 1954 I would guess.

There is a tray of photo transparencies somewhere. He ended up being invited to play football in a volunteer team of Australians against a Russian side who turned out to be professional.

He burst his spleen and ended up staying in the USSR a lot longer than he expected.

MIK

joe001
1st June 2009, 07:06 AM
Hi all!

Good to see that there are GIS builders in Europe. I thought about building a GIS about two years ago. My wife stopped me ;-) She wants to see one in reality before I'm "allowed" to build one...

We live in Switzerland, near Zurich. Maybe there are other GIS builders around here? If Bonn or Euscheid is the nearest, I'd be happy to met one or both of you in July. Around the 10th I'll be near Dusseldorf for a family event.

Best regards
Jürgen

SOLing
2nd June 2009, 06:38 AM
Hello Jurgen,

no problem, send me a PM and I will send you my mobile number to make an appointment

Hope your wife will be there too!

greetings

SOLing

Maximuss
2nd June 2009, 08:20 AM
Hi all!

Good to see that there are GIS builders in Europe. I thought about building a GIS about two years ago. My wife stopped me ;-) She wants to see one in reality before I'm "allowed" to build one...

We live in Switzerland, near Zurich. Maybe there are other GIS builders around here? If Bonn or Euscheid is the nearest, I'd be happy to met one or both of you in July. Around the 10th I'll be near Dusseldorf for a family event.

Best regards
Jürgen

If you ever get to Denmark, i have a boat almost finish now :)

Best Regards
Bjarne

joern
2nd June 2009, 09:45 AM
Hei Jürgen,

Same like SOLing - PM, phone number and appointment. But 10th of July I'l be in Gaastmeer (Frisland) - hopefully sailing some homegrown GIS...

Greetings - Jörn

SOLing
2nd June 2009, 07:49 PM
Hello Jörn,

great to hear you are going very well building the GIS. How is the situation? PICS please.

Right now there are THREE GIS's (almost) ready close together (Joost, you and me). A come-together and some beer? And sailing? And a picture for MIK of course?

Greetings Ab

SOLing
2nd June 2009, 07:55 PM
I will head to wikipedia tomorrow. My father spent a lot of his life left of centre too. However he lost interest in dark red when the tanks rolled into Prague.

He actually attended one of the huge Communist Youth events in Moscow while he was living in England and Europe ... about 1954 I would guess.

There is a tray of photo transparencies somewhere. He ended up being invited to play football in a volunteer team of Australians against a Russian side who turned out to be professional.

He burst his spleen and ended up staying in the USSR a lot longer than he expected.

MIK

Hello MIK,

As I understand your father didnot live in Australia, but in Europe part of his life? Must have been quite bad to be a stranger in Moscow in that time, as I read in some Dutch books from people, who have been there too in that time. But I really like people who have strong opinions and take the consequences for that.
Does your father live?

greetings, Ab

Boatmik
2nd June 2009, 10:40 PM
Yap ...

Both my parents ran away from Australia separately during the Cultural Wasteland that we had in Australia during the '50s. Many intellectuals, artists, writers and academics did the same.

Not that everyone belonged to those groups .. but the bulk of Australians still considered it an outpost of Britain, our main exports were wool and wheat.

We didn't have a dictionary of Australian words or an Australian encyclopaedia, there were no books on Australian Art, in fact there were no publishers here because books had to be printed in England - so they would choose what they thought was profitable in their own market. - so few Australian writers got published.

So both my parents left Australia between 1954 and 55 to live and work in England and travel around Europe. They met and got married in '57 '58 and on the 24 Jan 1959 they had a bouncing blonde boy and decided to come back to OZ.

I remember Dad saying he was quite scared/nervous to be left behind knowing nobody in Moscow once the whole Youth Event was over. He now lives in Cannes Cote d'Azur - ran an English language bookstore there with his newer family.

MIK

SOLing
2nd June 2009, 11:41 PM
In Holland we think the 50's were a Cultural Wasteland too. Only we didnot have the English to blame. Just ourselves. But we corrected that in the 60's and 70's and the 80's and the 90's. Not now anymore. Ever more repression (is my leftish opinion) after the murder on a rightwing politician and a movie director.:C

greetings, Ab

Boatmik
3rd June 2009, 12:11 AM
But then again ... sometimes something good appears where people show their tolerance and ability to understand differences ... this talks about the two.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,326261,00.html

SOLing
3rd June 2009, 01:07 AM
As is said in the interview: you have to learn tolerance. And that doesnot come easy. Even after a few hundred years of Implemented Enlightenment I see a lot of cracks in Holland. But we must keep moving..

Ab

Boatmik
3rd June 2009, 01:47 PM
Exactly ... the big drive is that most people want a simple and non stressful life and co-exist happily with others.

Even if some guy is wanting to blow up a bus ... he is doing it for the above reason. So the question becomes more about choosing means that really work to achieve those ends.

That wish for a quiet (or slightly noisy) happy life is the hidden power that works in the background.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
4th June 2009, 01:54 AM
I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the motives for blowing up busses MIK.
I read it as a grab at power over others, not peace with them. Something which nearly
all of us do in our own, more-or-less peaceful ways... :D
cheers
AJ

SOLing
5th June 2009, 08:03 AM
Between all the interesting posts I succeeded in making some progress. Sanded the outside of the hull, filled all holes (a big one twice), epoxied thoe outside twice. Decided on the color of the hull and bought it (today). Will do one more layer of epoxy this weekend. Next wednesday first coat of primer. That starts the real serious business: painting. I will ask Joost for advice:D

Greetings,

Ab

Boatmik
5th June 2009, 11:50 AM
Howdy AJ .. they want their lives to be peaceful! They don't realise that to get it then they have to create peace in other people's lives too :-)

MIK

Boatmik
5th June 2009, 11:52 AM
Howdy Ab,

Nice to hear progress. And nice that Joost is there for painting advice ... his boat looks really good. And nice if your paint is up to the standard of that great varnishing you are doing.

MIK

SOLing
16th July 2009, 03:49 AM
The last few weeks have seen some slow progress: fairing, sanding, painting, fairing, sanding, painting takes some time :rolleyes:. Also my job demands more time: because of the financial crisis I have more work than ever. Thanks to the banks, who want ever more and sooner answers, papers to be filled in, more "no" to clients asking for a loan etc etc. But here are some pictures. Status: today I took a day off and did the first layer of the final paint. Two or three more to go. I also did some work on the rudder, leather on the yard and boom and mast (I know, the glass should be enough. But not for me).

Planning is to launch in the first or second week of august, when I have a holiday. (My wife and daughter approved of going to London for a week and see a musical and some museums and do some shopping....I have asked the bank to have a higher limit on my card. Unfortunately they approved. To my wife...Then we have two weeks in our house in the Eifel, where I can (under strict conditions of course) work on the GIS.

The pictures come later: problems uploading. I will try later in the evening.

Here they are (I tried to upload the original RAW pictures. They were to big):

pictures 1, 2: after one coat of primer
picture 3: rudder, ready for the gudgeons. Because of the size I had do make the rudder a bit smaller where the gudgeons are attached.
picture 4, 5: after sanding.
picture 6: after second coat of primer
picture 7,8: one coat of the topcoat applied. I had to paint the rudder and centre board, because the glass was not applied very well. First time I did that. On the mast it went a bit better. On the chines it went perfect. Good learning curve, I guess.

Greetings, Ab

SOLing
17th July 2009, 12:13 AM
Looking at the pictures, you can see a hard spot at BH #3 :doh:: I did not notice that building and sanding. I noticed a hard spot at the butt strap while fairing and sanding, but I could correct that with some filler (2 components). Added some weight though :). But not as much as using mahogany all over :D.

Ab

Boatmik
17th July 2009, 09:34 AM
That does look very nice indeed! Looks like a very nice gloss too.

Is it a light blue or is it the camera changing the colour a bit?

Best wishes
Michael

SOLing
17th July 2009, 06:47 PM
That does look very nice indeed! Looks like a very nice gloss too.

Is it a light blue or is it the camera changing the colour a bit?

Best wishes
Michael

though a boat is supposed to be female, the colour surely shows it is a boy.:)

greetings ab

SOLing
10th August 2009, 01:09 AM
Today I will post the last building pictures and start a new thread: Die Jungfraufahrt (maiden trip) of the 2nd Dutch GIS. Last wednesday, 2nd August I did the last building jobs on my GIS. Actually it was not building, but painting: the name on the stern and some anti-skid (sugar on varnish) on the bottom.

The anti-skid went just fine

SOLing
10th August 2009, 01:19 AM
The name took some more thinking. First: what should the name be? I wanted a name thad had to do with boats, sounded nice, had some connection to Australia (thanks for MIK) and to Holland (where the GIS was not builded). After long thinking, reading talking to some friends we (SWMBO and me) decided on DUYFKEN, the Dutch yacht that "discovered" Australia.

As I am not a good painter, I decided to make a template of the name on my laptop, choosing a nice but not too difficult font, printed it, cut out the name and glued it to the stern with spray. All went fine :). Then I painted the template, waited about half an hour and removed the template. The result even surprised me!:o:o Even now I donot know what happened. But I decided that it looks very, very nice, specially from some distance.:D:D:D

SOLing
10th August 2009, 01:21 AM
Now i have finished the building, just the launching remains. For that I will open a new thread.

Thanks for listening in! And a special thanks to Boatmik for his design and advice (not always asked for, but always useful).

greetings,

SOLing / Ab

Boatmik
10th August 2009, 09:27 AM
Great News,

I can report the fleet of GISs sailing in Holland has increased by 100 percent this month!

More seriously ... congratulations Ab! I am sure getting on the water will be even more fun than building it.

best wishes
MIK