PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL300 on Ebay

Sawdust Maker
19th February 2008, 04:29 PM
This could be a bargain for some happy turner:)

Sounds a bit sad that has to give up the hobby for health reasons

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VICMARC-VL-300-WOOD-LATHE_W0QQitemZ220203364041QQihZ012QQcategoryZ84012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd be interested meself except I spent all my loot late last year - Not sure I'd be able to sneak this past SHMBO and don't have any room in the fibro shed anyway.

good luck

Calm
19th February 2008, 06:01 PM
The last one was a long bed that made i think 3300 so whats this one worth. Closer to all you lot up north this time.

ss_11000
19th February 2008, 06:11 PM
:D that looks awesome enuf for me to buy. but how do i get mum to agree?

btw, where is heathcote?

Calm
19th February 2008, 06:19 PM
Come on Stirlo your birthday must be coming up soon - or give it to your mum for mothers day:D

This ones in your area:D

ss_11000
19th February 2008, 06:22 PM
well, its not looking good ATM...something about buying a car mid next yr.

BUT

theres six days to come up with a good reason...pay rise at maccas in april etc...

theres still a slight amount of hope ( providing it goes for less than 4k )

DavidG
19th February 2008, 08:23 PM
theres six days to come up with a good reason
1. I will be able to produce more and better quality works so it will pay for itself.
2. To show me how much you love me. (oops that one is for the women to use)
3. Because I need it to progress my skills.
4. It is just a loan. I will pay you back.

And the all time favorite (The one I used)
5. I will give up smoking. :roll:

Pat
19th February 2008, 08:29 PM
<small>View Larger Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heathcote,+nsw,australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.799691,151.144409&spn=1.23526,2.219238&z=9&source=embed)</small>"><iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heathcote,+nsw,australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.799691,151.144409&spn=1.23526,2.219238&z=9&output=embed&s=AARTsJredpsfaLV7sZmV6IMAsFc2Rj7zgg" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heathcote,+nsw,australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.799691,151.144409&spn=1.23526,2.219238&z=9&source=embed)</small>

killerbeast
19th February 2008, 09:11 PM
1. I will be able to produce more and better quality works so it will pay for itself.

Ohhhh option 5!!!! with that i should be able to get an new lathe and a bandsaw....

Sawdust Maker
19th February 2008, 09:59 PM
I tried that a few months ago
She reminded me that I gave up 20 odd years ago:D

PS Stirlo
cars are fairly boring and only contribute to traffic accidents and pollution
a bargain such as this - at the right price you could hand down to your grandkids

ss_11000
19th February 2008, 11:49 PM
PS Stirlo
cars are fairly boring and only contribute to traffic accidents and pollution
a bargain such as this - at the right price you could hand down to your grandkids so true:2tsup:

:2tsup:

i could also sell my mc 900:2tsup:

ss_11000
19th February 2008, 11:50 PM
um, btw.

i got enough money - mum just thinks it would be better spent on a car...also something about not using my existing lathe very often ( something called homework comes to mind with that...and maccas to:( )

Jim Carroll
20th February 2008, 08:08 AM
Stirlo you have got 3 years before you can legally drive on your own.
In the mean time drive your parents around in their cars. This saves you from buying petrol and paying rego and insurance. I know as we have just had one get his own car and licence and still working on number 2 who will get his own car and licence later this year.

Now we have got that out the way buy the lathe, just remind them it is a lifetime investment and cars are generally short term.:2tsup:

You still have many hours working at maccas to save up for a good car.

ss_11000
20th February 2008, 02:01 PM
Stirlo you have got 3 years before you can legally drive on your own.april 2009 is when i get my P's
In the mean time drive your parents around in their cars. This saves you from buying petrol and paying rego and insurance. I know as we have just had one get his own car and licence and still working on number 2 who will get his own car and licence later this year.insurance is a bugger isnt it. my brother (18 ) paid i think $1400 on a $4/5000 car.

Now we have got that out the way buy the lathe, just remind them it is a lifetime investment and cars are generally short term.:2tsup:good point there:cool:

You still have many hours working at maccas to save up for a good car.unfortunately:-

cheers

Jim Carroll
20th February 2008, 07:01 PM
Stirlo better change your age if you are going to be 18 next year.

So now that we have all that sorted out when do you want to get the lathe.
Keep in sweet with the olds as they will have to help pick it up.

Toolin Around
20th February 2008, 07:14 PM
um, btw.

i got enough money - mum just thinks it would be better spent on a car...also something about not using my existing lathe very often ( something called homework comes to mind with that...and maccas to:( )

My dad gave me the choice of a lathe or a car when I was 17. I took the lathe - never regreted it. That was 26 years ago. And I still got a car with the help of the money I was making with the lathe

DJ’s Timber
20th February 2008, 07:56 PM

Actually Stirlo's age is right, because in NSW they get their license at 17, so with that in mind, he will be turning 16 in about 6 weeks going by his profile :;, which would make him 17 next year :U

ss_11000
20th February 2008, 08:03 PM

So now that we have all that sorted out when do you want to get the lathe.
Keep in sweet with the olds as they will have to help pick it up.

17 next yr Jim...do you vic people have to wait untill your 18:?

My dad gave me the choice of a lathe or a car when I was 17. I took the lathe - never regreted it. That was 26 years ago. And I still got a car with the help of the money I was making with the lathe :2tsup:. great choice

Actually Stirlo's age is right, because in NSW they get their license at 17, so with that in mind, he will be turning 16 in about 6 weeks going by his profile :;, which would make him 17 next year :U correct.
hmm, six or seven weeks, i better decide what i want:D

artme
20th February 2008, 08:27 PM
that comes with such a decision!

If persuasion fails I can give you free tips for "Tantrum Throwing 101".:oo::o:o:D:D

Jim Carroll
21st February 2008, 07:50 AM
Stirlo sorry for the confusion,

Just assumed all states had the same age for getting licences at 18

Victoria was the slowest to let them get their learners at 16.

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2008, 10:47 AM
get the lathe
lot of things going for it
and you don't have to register it, buy tyres for it or queue for petrol on Tuesdays:no:
Can you pick up girls with a lathe?:o

ss_11000
21st February 2008, 01:11 PM
Stirlo sorry for the confusion,
.no worries jim.:cool:

how do you cope with having to wait another yr?:?

Can you pick up girls with a lathe?:oi'm sure it could hold them horizontally but i dont think it could pick em up:wink::D

Stuart
21st February 2008, 01:25 PM
I didn't - had car & motorbike at 15 (full license, none of this L or P stuff) (NZ) How do you cope having to wait another year Stirlo? :D (The rules have since changed over there)

But back to the lathe, (and still being frivolous), if I took up smoking, then quit, could I be given it?

ss_11000
21st February 2008, 02:48 PM
I didn't - had car & motorbike at 15 (full license, none of this L or P stuff) (NZ) How do you cope having to wait another year Stirlo? :D (The rules have since changed over there)

But back to the lathe, (and still being frivolous), if I took up smoking, then quit, could I be given it?
15:oo:...lucky you. i wish i had my license at 14, i dont want to have to wait till april:(

i once drove a car at a mates place out in the sticks and it was fun as. :cool:

but back to the lathe...mum wants to hear nothing about it.

Strategic plan #2... i have enuf money, i know dads ebay password etc. just buy the thing anyway:2tsup:...who needs parents permission :rolleyes::p

in all seriousness, i think dad wouldnt mind me buying it but mum thinks its going to take up more room and wont listen when i say its friggin smaller than my current lathe:((

Groggy
21st February 2008, 04:13 PM
in all seriousness, i think dad wouldnt mind me buying it but mum thinks its going to take up more room and wont listen when i say its friggin smaller than my current lathe:((
Stirlo, ever heard of reverse psychology? Agree with your mum.

"Y'know mum, I've been thinking your right about the lathe. I can use that money to get some mags on the car when I get it, and soup up the engine. I'm bound to need new tyres within a month or so of buying it too, yeah, good idea, thanks"

Let her think about it for a while, make sure dad hears it. :D

echnidna
21st February 2008, 04:22 PM
forget the car, get a ute, then yer can pickup anything you can find

ss_11000
21st February 2008, 04:28 PM
forget the car, get a ute, then yer can pickup anything you can find

me agree with you:2tsup:

Stirlo, ever heard of reverse psychology? Agree with your mum.

"Y'know mum, I've been thinking your right about the lathe. I can use that money to get some mags on the car when I get it, and soup up the engine. I'm bound to need new tyres within a month or so of buying it too, yeah, good idea, thanks"

Let her think about it for a while, make sure dad hears it. :D:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Strategic plan #3 wat groggy said:2tsup:

ss_11000
21st February 2008, 06:12 PM
tis a wonder wat constant nagging does.

me: hey mum, you know, it think ur right. i dont need the lathe, i nbeed mag wheels etc. ( ta groggy:2tsup: ) .
mum: fine, write me a list of reasons and i'll consider it...it is a lot of money still tho:rolleyes:
me: r u serious

yeah...4 page essay to mum:2tsup:

lol. now, do i really want to spend 3 and half grand?:?

DJ’s Timber
21st February 2008, 06:24 PM
Here's a few reasons to get you started

Its quieter
Has an emergency stop bar
Solid and heavy, won't shake and roll all over the place
Slower speeds for those out of balance blanks

Groggy
21st February 2008, 07:52 PM
Stirlo, mention we're helping you and the deal will go badly wrong, we'll all get a serve and probably your dad too (just coz he's a man too, innocence won't matter :wink:)

Give her time for the annoyance to wear off and wait till she is in a really good mood and you've done all your chores, plus mown all the neighbourhood lawns just for good measure.

If you have brothers or sisters shout them to a movie to get them out the house (no competition)

Then, and only then, approach the subject again. Remember this opportunity may be a once-off so get your research done. Make sure you have all the bases covered, transport, load, unload etc. You need answers for everything ready.

Adding to DJ's start:

Its quieter
It will keep it's resale value better than a car (or most other machines)
You can earn income from it.
Part of the cost will be offset by selling the MC900 (Rule #1 - you have to say this even if you don't really mean it)
Your skills have gone past the learner-lathe stage (see Rule #1).
You are thinking of tutoring other turner's for money (see Rule #1)
You don't have to buy any more chisels, the others will work just fine with it (Rule #2 - this is to overwhelm her with superfluous information and make her want you gone)
It is so heavy it won't rattle around and annoy the neighbours (see Rule #2)Never, ever, mention my name. I'm leaving the country anyway :U

Calm
21st February 2008, 08:25 PM
Or you could be like every other 15 year old and say

"i'm gunna buy it, itd my money and you can't stop me" then sulk off to your room and dont talk to her for a week.

By then she will have got over it or she will be at the bedroom door yelling "get out here and listen to me mister smartypants".

Then the lecture will follow but she will let you buy it anyway.

As well as that tell her & Dj said you needed it.:D:D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2008, 08:56 PM
Stirlo

After all this ...
If you actually get it can I come up and have a play on it?

Don't know how you'll explain a 52 year old dude visiting to play on the lathe for an hour or so tho - better forget it

good luck

Calm
21st February 2008, 09:01 PM
Stirlo

After all this ...

Don't know how you'll explain a 52 year old dude visiting to play on the lathe for an hour or so tho - better forget it

good luck

You could always buy it yourself then you wouldnt need to ask stirlo if you can "come over to his house to play"

DavidG
21st February 2008, 09:13 PM
Stirlo
Tell your Mum that you are not interested in the lathe anymore but have decided to save up for a panel van.
At the same time, ask her where you can get a mattress and curtains for the van.:;

Cliff Rogers
21st February 2008, 11:40 PM
I also think it may be time to get some magazines with pictures of girls with LOTS of tatoos. :wink:

ss_11000
22nd February 2008, 12:13 AM
Here's a few reasons to get you started

Its quieter

hmm, i told her about the weight and speeds the other day...it momentarily caught her attention.

Stirlo, mention we're helping you and the deal will go badly wrong, we'll all get a serve and probably your dad too (just coz he's a man too, innocence won't matter :wink:)lol

Give her time for the annoyance to wear off and wait till she is in a really good mood and you've done all your chores, plus mown all the neighbourhood lawns just for good measure.i'll skip this bit lol

If you have brothers or sisters shout them to a movie to get them out the house (no competition)or, wait till the older one is at uni and the sis is locked in her room on msn:rolleyes:

Then, and only then, approach the subject again. Remember this opportunity may be a once-off so get your research done. Make sure you have all the bases covered, transport, load, unload etc. You need answers for everything ready.u and dj got it all covered for me:2tsup:

Adding to DJ's start:

Its quieter
It will keep it's resale value better than a car (or most other machines)
You can earn income from it.
Part of the cost will be offset by selling the MC900 (Rule #1 - you have to say this even if you don't really mean it)i told her that to. must remind her of it
Your skills have gone past the learner-lathe stage (see Rule #1).mmm, mum - the mc900 is more of a learners lathe that i'm to good for now:rolleyes:
You are thinking of tutoring other turner's for money (see Rule #1)
You don't have to buy any more chisels, the others will work just fine with it (Rule #2 - this is to overwhelm her with superfluous information and make her want you gone)
It is so heavy it won't rattle around and annoy the neighbours (see Rule #2)Never, ever, mention my name. I'm leaving the country anyway lol

Or you could be like every other 15 year old and say

"i'm gunna buy it, itd my money and you can't stop me" then sulk off to your room and dont talk to her for a week. i tried that...lets just say it didnt work real well:-

By then she will have got over it or she will be at the bedroom door yelling "get out here and listen to me mister smartypants".

Then the lecture will follow but she will let you buy it anyway.

As well as that tell her & Dj said you needed it.:D:D:D:Dlol

ss_11000
22nd February 2008, 12:16 AM
I also think it may be time to get some magazines with pictures of girls with LOTS of tatoos. :wink:
why the tats:?

Stirlo
Tell your Mum that you are not interested in the lathe anymore but have decided to save up for a panel van.
At the same time, ask her where you can get a mattress and curtains for the van.:;:D:D:2tsup:

Stirlo

After all this ...

good luck
lol...if u could be bothered travelling all this way. easy to get around - i'll just tell mum this turner from sydney is giving me free lessons:wink::cool:...

Frank&Earnest
22nd February 2008, 12:37 AM
Stirlo
At the same time, ask her where you can get a mattress and curtains for the van.:;

It might not work. If it were my child (let's not be sexist) I would think that they got their priorities right. 61 is not 16 (alas...:C)
I would make sure that they know about safe working practices, though...:D

ss_11000
22nd February 2008, 12:53 AM
another point is:

they rarely come out on the market. usually the reason is a deceased estate because vicmarcs will last forever and will certainly out live me.

DJ’s Timber
22nd February 2008, 07:39 AM
As well as that tell her & Dj said you needed it.:D:D:D:D

Hoy, don't go dragging me into this Calm :~ :q, I didn't say he needed it :doh::q:U, just giving him some options.

PS, for Stirlo's lovely Mum, Stirlo is twisting my arm and making me offer advice to make himself look good :U

Groggy
22nd February 2008, 08:13 AM
why the tats:?Cliff makes typos occasionally....:whistling2:

Jim Carroll
22nd February 2008, 05:16 PM
another point is:

they rarely come out on the market. usually the reason is a deceased estate because vicmarcs will last forever and will certainly out live me.

Now you are thinking.

Better get those convincing boots on real quick as there is not much time left.

wheelinround
22nd February 2008, 05:40 PM
when you check out Jim's site you can tell why its a bargain

http://cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146804

Pat
22nd February 2008, 05:53 PM
No one has mentioned the extras included.

Sawdust Maker
22nd February 2008, 08:57 PM
You could always buy it yourself then you wouldnt need to ask stirlo if you can "come over to his house to play"

Now there's the quandary
I'd feel I'd ripped off Stirlo, especially after all this advice he'd been given.
and 2 especially since I got meself a DVR just before Christmas:D:D I'm even further behind the 8 ball with the chancellor of the exchequer than Stirlo and his mum.

But if it had been on ebay before the DVR then I'd be in like Flynn, and would probably bid too much and be in further trouble (I'm not sure I'm yet forgiven for the DVR)

PS Stirlo
mention the extras as a bytheway, chucks, tools, and burls - a sure way to mums heart

ss_11000
23rd February 2008, 12:19 AM
i rekon there would be close to 2K in extras....i will be sure to mention them:D

DJ’s Timber
23rd February 2008, 10:11 AM
I see you've been asking questions on the lathe Stirlo, looks look your style of writing anyway :rolleyes:

ss_11000
23rd February 2008, 12:12 PM
I see you've been asking questions on the lathe Stirlo, looks look your style of writing anyway :rolleyes:
perhaps... :cool::D

DJ’s Timber
23rd February 2008, 12:22 PM
I've got the exact same lathe, in fact mine was made in '02 as well and its a 1.5hp motor not 2hp as he thinks

This is wrong :aro-u:, please see post 50 :aro-d: to see correct HP

Groggy
23rd February 2008, 01:00 PM
I reckon DJ has read 1.5kw and thought 1.5hp.

1.5kw is 2hp.

DJ has scurried out to his shed armed with an inspection mirror and shall return shortly. Meantime the turning fraternity waits with bated breath, what'll it be, 1.5kw or 1.5hp? Well? Ya feeling lucky punk? :U

DJ’s Timber
23rd February 2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah yeah I jumped the gun a bit here :doh:.

The name plate on my lathe is at the back of the motor and is impossible see let alone read it :no:. So had to remove the 2 adjusting bars at the front to allow the motor to drop down far enough to be able to get a mirror in there and read it, wait for it....... :insert drumroll here: 1.5kw/2.0hp.

At the time of buying it, I was told that it was 1.5hp, so thats my defense story and I'm sticking to it :q :U

Groggy
23rd February 2008, 01:20 PM
First bloke I've ever met who could boost the output of a motor by 25% with a mirror :rotfl:

Calm
23rd February 2008, 02:58 PM
First bloke I've ever met who could boost the output of a motor by 25% with a mirror :rotfl:

Wish i could borrow that mirror, If it increases horse power by 25% if i used the other side it might reduce my slowest speed by 25% changing it from 500 to 375 RPM that would be really nice. -

Where do you buy these mirrors from Greg?

Groggy
23rd February 2008, 03:01 PM
Where do you buy these mirrors from Greg?No idea, it is DJ's secret weapon, not mine. Maybe he could lend it to you? :wink::)

funkychicken
23rd February 2008, 07:40 PM
Buy it!!

You get seven chisels, 2 chucks, plenty of wood and more! Don't forget to mention the health benefits of the free dust extractor (but do forget to tell her you already have one:D)

Also tell your folks it's the lathe or ballet!

Groggy
23rd February 2008, 07:43 PM
If you already have a dusty, tell the boss you can sell the other one to help bring the price down. Seven chisels should be worth a bit too (300-350?)

ss_11000
23rd February 2008, 08:27 PM
Buy it!!

You get seven chisels, 2 chucks, plenty of wood and more! Don't forget to mention the health benefits of the free dust extractor (but do forget to tell her you already have one:D)

Also tell your folks it's the lathe or ballet! ballet:?...

If you already have a dusty, tell the boss you can sell the other one to help bring the price down. Seven chisels should be worth a bit too (300-350?)

yeah, i will sell one of em with the lathe. depends on what the dusty is thats included.

the outrigger is also worth a fair bit i think.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd February 2008, 09:14 PM
Hmmm... 2 days to go?

C'mon Stirlo, you already have a lathe that's newer than that. 6yo? That's well past it's prime. Trust me, you don't want it. :innocent:

What you really need is a panel van with mag wheels and a BIG sound system. Don't waste your time by bidding against m^H others. :;

ss_11000
23rd February 2008, 09:48 PM
lol...good one skew

funkychicken
23rd February 2008, 11:31 PM
Don't sell the chisels!

Unless I'm the one buying them...:rolleyes:

And remember to tell your mum the bit about cars being bad for the environment bit, not forgetting to mention that lathes emit no hazardous emmisions that could kill whales living in the arctic

ss_11000
23rd February 2008, 11:36 PM
Don't sell the chisels!

Unless I'm the one buying them...:rolleyes:

And remember to tell your mum the bit about cars being bad for the environment bit, not forgetting to mention that lathes emit no hazardous emmisions that could kill whales living in the arctic
no way i would sell the chisels...although, maybe a few of the ones i have now so i can sell my lathe/dusty etc as a woodturjing starter set;)

hmm, i got to read up the verdict on how much a lathe costs to run. that thread got to long for me to read:rolleyes:. guess i have to now:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th February 2008, 02:24 AM
:U

You're lucky it's in NSW or I would be bidding on it... well, up to a limit. [sigh]

Calm
24th February 2008, 09:44 AM
:U

You're lucky it's in NSW or I would be bidding on it... well, up to a limit. [sigh]

Skew i have a trailer, you pay the petrol i drive.:D:D

Calm
24th February 2008, 12:53 PM
1st bid is up - Come on fess up who couldn't wait 1 day 8 hours 50 minutes ????

Groggy
24th February 2008, 01:07 PM
Wasn't me. :no: If it was the wife would half kill me, call an ambulance to recover me and then do the other half.

I'd say someone is fishing to get a feel for any competition, or is a rello of the seller; more likely the former though.

ss_11000
24th February 2008, 03:24 PM
hmm. tis not looking very good atm.:(

Pat
24th February 2008, 07:12 PM
Groggy, my MBGitW is a nurse and she always tells me that she will "kill me dead" then resuscitate me to "kill me dead" again:U.

I didn't bid on it, to afraid of the nurse:q

funkychicken
25th February 2008, 08:18 PM
An hour and a half left - $3250!

Sawdust Maker
25th February 2008, 09:05 PM
forty minutes left and I'm all nerves and I'm not even bidding:U

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 09:34 PM
less than ten to go:o

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 09:37 PM
bugga. tis at 3.8k now

Groggy
25th February 2008, 09:38 PM
they've lost it I reckon, it'll go over 4, probably 4 1/2

Snipers any second now....

funkychicken
25th February 2008, 09:44 PM
Sold for $4450!

Groggy
Yep, $4450.

ss_11000
congrats to whoever won it.:2tsup:

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 09:46 PM
hmmm. i wonder what else i can convince mum to let me buy.:D

Calm
25th February 2008, 09:47 PM
Well done Stirlo when are you picking it up:2tsup::2tsup:

Bet you cant wait to test it out.

:D:D

Groggy
25th February 2008, 09:48 PM
hmmm. i wonder what else i can convince mum to let me buy.:DLol, it wasn't to be Stirlo. Now, about those mag wheels - there's a nice set on eBay ...:p

funkychicken
25th February 2008, 09:50 PM

Gun licence:D

David...He missed out...It was tragic for all of us...

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 09:51 PM

i wish:cool:.

what i meant was, i convinced mum to let me spend a couple of grand so i wonder what else i could convince her to let me spend that on:cool:.

Calm
25th February 2008, 09:53 PM

read the post fc:D:D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
25th February 2008, 09:58 PM
Bad luck Stirlo, not to be:no:

Still seems to be a bit of a bargain

ok own up who got it