PDA

View Full Version : Attaching architraves/skirting

Tryhard
1st January 2004, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

First of all this is a great forum,very helpful for novices such as myself.
I have architraves on my 5 year old villa which are coming away from the window frame leaving unsightly gaps. This is also occurring around some door frames. I have investigated the problem and found that the nails are obviously pulling out of the timber frame allowing the architrave to sit proud.
What I would like to know is what type and size nails should be used as obviously they are not sufficient at the moment...can I use for example screws to ensure proper securing to window frame ?
The architraves are also made of that cheap compressed type of wood...is this part of the cause?
Kind regards
Tryhard.

barnsey
1st January 2004, 01:05 PM
Hi Tryhard, Happy New Year and welcome.

Sounds like you've got some shrinkage in the window frames which happens when the timber they are made from dries out.

You may find that giving them a tap with the hammer will reset them and you may not have to go through the hassle of refinishing them. Be sure to use a flat scrap of timber on the surface of the architrave so that you dont bruise the timber with the hammer head. Builders tend to use light gauge pneumatic nail guns on these areas to minimise the filling and finishing required.

If that doesn't achieve what you want then you might be wise to try and pull the architraves off with a flat wide register chisel - again to minimise any bruising - work from the window frame edge not the plaster board edge.

You will then be able to see what sort of fastenings were used and work out what you will need to get to refasten them. If you suspect there might be more shrinkage it might be advisable to use decking nails - you will see them at Bunnies - they have a twist in the body of the nail that resists pulling out. The trouble with all of this is you will have to refinish all the architraves and that might give you a massive job matching the existing finishes.

Try the first option making sure the scrap of timber is directly over the existing nail so it doesnt push the nailhead back out of the architrave or you still have the refinishing problem. Alternately forget it - only you and I will know that this has happened and I guarantee no-one else will even notice:rolleyes:

Others may well be able to advise differently but I removed all the old architraves in a Edwardian house and stripped and refinished them so I do know that what you are about to do could result in a mammoth job - try the easy way first.

Jamie

barnsey
1st January 2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Tryhard, Happy New Year and welcome.

Sounds like you've got some shrinkage in the window frames which happens when the timber they are made from dries out.

You may find that giving them a tap with the hammer will reset them and you may not have to go through the hassle of refinishing them. Be sure to use a flat scrap of timber on the surface of the architrave so that you dont bruise the timber with the hammer head. Builders tend to use light gauge pneumatic nail guns on these areas to minimise the filling and finishing required.

If that doesn't achieve what you want then you might be wise to try and pull the architraves off with a flat wide register chisel - again the minimise any bruising - work from the window frame edge not the plaster board edge.

You will then be able to see what sort of fastenings were used and work out what you will need to get to refasten them. If you suspect there might be more shrinkage it might be advisable to use decking nails - you will see them at Bunnies - they have a twist in the body of the nail that resists pulling out. The trouble with all of this is you will have to refinish all the architraves and that might give you a massive job matching the existing finishes.

Try the first option making sure the scrap of timber is directly over the existing nail so it doesnt push the nailhead back out of the architrave or you still have the refinishing problem. Alternately forget it - only you and I will know that this has happened and I guarantee no-one else will even notice:rolleyes: