PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Variable Speed Lathes

Big Shed
20th February 2008, 02:51 PM
Have been looking at some mini lathes and would like variable speed, preferably electronic.

I currently use an MC900 and like the variable speed setup on it, but this setup does not seem to be available on mini lathes.

Looked at a Woodfast EVS mini lathe, but you still need to manually change the belt twice to get through all speeds, the EVS only works within a given manually selected speed range.

My question is, is this the way all lathes, especially mini lathes, work when they have EVS?

Does the Vicmarc VL100 work the same way, looked at their website and it isn't made clear.

I see Carbatec have an EVS lathe (http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_14570_14640) but it isn't a mini.

I suppose the other alternative is to buy a bare VL100 (no motor) and buy the variable speed motor setup from Jim Carroll.

Any comments any suggestions welcomed.

Cliff Rogers
20th February 2008, 03:47 PM
I can't really comment on the Mini lathes but even my Vicmarc has 2 mechanical speeds to cover the full range from 0 to 3000 rpm.
I use the low gear for my big bowls/platters & the high gear for smaller & spindle work.

DJ’s Timber
20th February 2008, 03:52 PM
:whs:

rsser
20th February 2008, 03:55 PM
Fred, suggest you call Vicmarc and ask. They can also advise about new models they're working on.

www.vicmarc.com

artme
20th February 2008, 05:26 PM
The belt changing is a pain in the nether regions for sure. Just think though about how often you have to change the belt and decide how much of a hassle it really is.
Another alternative to a new or different lathe is to obtain a new motor and speed control unit. Jim Carrol has these.
Another source is CMG whocan match a motor and control unit for you.

ss_11000
20th February 2008, 05:49 PM
dont you only have to change the belt to go from low range to high range? if so, then i cant see any hassles with this because not a lot of projects if any would need both ranges.

DavidG
20th February 2008, 06:47 PM
On the VL300 I change the belt to low range only occasionally (read one or twice per year) the rest of the time it stays on high.

Jim Carroll
20th February 2008, 06:54 PM
On a mini lathe you very rarely change the belt position.
It is not like a large lathe where you might want more torque for a large peice of timber.

Most things can be done on the one speed range easily,
The VL100 is 30-3000 in a couple of steps.

Mulgabill
21st February 2008, 07:01 PM
What the wise sage Jim said is true in some situations. I have never changed the speed on my mini lathe in perhaps 3 years. It is always set on mid-range and is used mostly for spindle, small bowl work and demonstrations.

oldiephred
23rd February 2008, 10:48 AM
Probably unecessary to say so BUT if you purchase an add on VS unit make sure it gives you full torque values over the full speed range. Some of the cheapies don't perform that well.
good luck