PDA

View Full Version : How to make my own Danish Oil

killerbeast
20th February 2008, 10:51 PM
im looking for information on making my own Dansih oil... Now that part i more or less easy there are more than enough recipes out there. But my big problem is that i am unsure with on to choose and how to get the right compounds for it. The English names are not that easy to translate into danish, and then find. So i would much appreciate any help and information that i can get. Pictures of the ingredients/the cans/bottles you buy them in. Translations into other languages of the compounds.

And witch recipes do you use? why and so on...

soundman
20th February 2008, 11:13 PM
Do you have any idea how funny this thread is..:rofl::rotfl::lolabove::lb:.dude from denmark asks how to make danish oil on an australina forum.....:2tsup:. you've made my day.

From what I gather the basic ingredients are a varnish of your choice, typiclay polyurathane, and some sort of cocktail of oils...boiled linseed often being the main one......:D

cheers

kekemo
20th February 2008, 11:25 PM
I would suggest you don't ask about "shellac".....try looking in the archives....and do lots of google searches.....LOL...good luck....:2tsup:

Yep, made me giggle too!:p ....But I will be following your thread...anything you can make yourself...must surely be more economical.....

Even ask your local University to give you break down of ingredients....of chemicals...then let us know!:no:
Good luck. Kekemo

killerbeast
20th February 2008, 11:34 PM
I know i had lots of fun myself when i wrote it :-)

OGYT
21st February 2008, 10:02 AM
Rasmus, if you'll go to the woodcentral woodturning forum, and look in the left column for "Russ' Corner", and click on that it'll take you to Russ Fairfield's articles. Then look for his 'homebrew'. It's pretty good stuff.

wheelinround
21st February 2008, 10:06 AM
Rasmus I just did a Google for Home Made Danish Oil and came up with pages worth of stuff.:2tsup:

echnidna
21st February 2008, 12:25 PM
equal parts of
turps or mineral spirits,
linseed or tung oil , (doesn't need blo as the poly has the driers in it)
polyurethane or varnish

OGYT
21st February 2008, 12:36 PM
Bob, that's what Russ uses. I copied this from his Homebrew article:
I use a mixture of equal parts 100% pure Tung Oil, Varnish, and Turpentine. The proportions aren't critical. If there is any error in the proportions, it should be towards a lesser amount of oil, and a greater quantity of thinner. Additional oil will improve its wiping properties, but it will also increase its drying time.

echnidna
21st February 2008, 12:43 PM
I've been using that for so many years that I've forgotten exactly where it came from,
Most likely from Frid, Krenov, Malouf, Hayward etc

rsser
21st February 2008, 05:21 PM
Do a search of the finishing sub-forum.

I posted a link there to yet another piece on DO put up on the Blue Mtns woodturners' website.

lubbing5cherubs
26th February 2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.pnc.com.au/~k_j/woodturner/Pages/TipsOils.htm
here is the page that Ern was talking about
Toni

killerbeast
26th February 2008, 10:00 PM
thank you all i will let u know how this turns out :-) I have allied myself with a chemical engenier who should be able to help figure out what to buy in Danish brands

Bluegum
28th February 2008, 08:43 PM
Hey killer beast just checked out your turning forum. Looked Good, if only I could speak Danish.....

killerbeast
28th February 2008, 09:07 PM
Thank you :-) dave.. we are not that many members yet but we are getting there. I promised that i would buy beers for everyone when we hit 100 members hehehe But seeing that the complete dk population is around 5 mill. that should be a long way off...

If you want to learn danish no problem just ask...