PDA

View Full Version : Carba-Tec BS1400 versus SW1401

AlexE
3rd January 2004, 03:10 PM
The Carba-Tec BS1400 is $750 and the SW1401 is usually $499, now on special at $459, is the BS1400 worth the extra dollars, as they both appear to be the same size?:confused:
I'm a newbie who wants to purchase a bandsaw for violin making and after looking at numerous posts believe I should purchase a 14" size rather than a cheaper, smaller one.
Any advice will be welcomed.

Added - I forgot to mention in my post, I need one capable of cutting aluminium sheet up to 2mm thick, as well.

Alex

Sprog
3rd January 2004, 07:41 PM
The 14" is the way to go, blades last longer with less tendancy to break.

I personally would get the cheaper one, in fact I did :D it works well.

The dearer one has a rip fence, dust extraction port and micro adjustable blade guides.

You can make your own rip fence for very little cost, the dust port costs about $10 and I purchased a set of Cool Blocks for the blade guide which cost about $45.

You would also need a blade capable of cutting aluminium.

derekcohen
3rd January 2004, 09:51 PM
Alex

The BS1400 is phenomenal value for money. Really. Yes, it is the same size and power as many others on the market. But ... in the USA it is marketed under the Ridgid brand. A recent review of 14" bandsaws in one mag gave it Best Buy, tying with Jet and Delta in most areas but outclassing them in band tension. Its ability to achieve a seriously high band tension - in the same league as steel saws = means that its potential for accurate re-sawing is very high.

Based on this info I went and bought one about 9 months ago. It is well worth a serious look.

Regards from Perth

Derek

DavidW
3rd January 2004, 11:42 PM
I don't mean to add to your confusion nor am I speaking from experience but have you considered the BAS-350.

It is a 2 speed machine with a 200mm depth of cut and 100mm dust port. Also appears to come with roller guides as standard.

It is the one I am most interested in ATM but its hard to tell which is better, there are 6 14" Bandsaws in the space of 2 pages in the 03 cattledog with similar specspriced from $499 to $799.

gatiep
4th January 2004, 12:01 AM
DavidW

The BS350 is on special At Carbatec WA ( Perth ) at $609-00 ( usually $735-00) at present in their Christmas catalog......http://www.carbatecwa.com.au/Acrobat%20Files/christmas.pdf

That is a super buy, with 1 1/2 hp motor, 8" depth of cut, micro adjustable bearing guides and 4 " dust extraction and 2 speed.
I upgraded to the BS350 just after the Perth WWW show and paid more.

Alex
Any descent wood bandsaw will cut aluminium. A blade at 10 TPI or more will do just fine, it is better to use a slower speed and a finer blade for a cleaner cut.

I know the BS14 has 4 speeds, I am not sure about the two you mentioned.

Cya
Joe

Dan
4th January 2004, 12:15 PM
Hey Derek,
Did the magazine article say how the BS1400 achieved its extra band tension? The only reasons I can think of would be a thicker casting in the riser, bigger shafts for the wheels or possibly a different tensioning mechanism. Any ideas?

Dan

gatiep
4th January 2004, 03:16 PM
Dan

My guess would be that the tensioning mechanism uses a different type of thread, giving one better 'leverage'. I'll be passing the shop this week to do some 'surveillance', will let you know the 'verdict'

Cya
Joe

derekcohen
4th January 2004, 05:03 PM
Dan

I can't answer "how" (I assume that the design is responsible) but I can show "by how much". Follow this link/thread and you will come to a table I pasted from the magazine review.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5244&highlight=BS1400

Regards from Perth

Derek