PDA

View Full Version : Elektra Beckum Lathe

Darrell
3rd January 2004, 08:19 PM
I was wondering if anybody has any info on the Elektra Beckum HDM 1000 Lathe.I saw one for sale today,and to me it look like a nice lathe?

Red neck
3rd January 2004, 10:25 PM
Darrell

I did research this lathe some time ago. From memory they were very similar to the Record CL series. The bed comprised two galvanised bars and the lathe offered four speeds. Driven by a half or three quarter HP motor. I guess the ‘Coronet’ CL 18 would be their nearest competitor. Can’t help with a new price.

Darrell
4th January 2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks Redneck

The research i have done tells me they are part of the Metabo group and the lathe is four speed 760-2200,and the one i looked is four speed 350-1100 would that be to slow.Apart from that i could not find much more info
The lathe comes with a Vicmarc VM90 Unichuck and a 3in1 faceplate for $850

Jeff
4th January 2004, 05:05 AM
Better a bit on the slow side than faster. Many new turners turn up the speed to get a "faster cut". Better to keep your tools sharp and go slower in many cases. I agree that a finishing cut is often best achieved at a higher speed but don't be tricked into buying a machine that doesn't have lower speed capability! Good luck

Red neck
4th January 2004, 12:58 PM
Darrell

Slow speeds are fine for ‘roughing-out’ work that is out of balance or needs the corners knocked off. But once the work piece is balanced and safe to turn at speed, the higher speeds will take you through to the finishing stages in a lot less time than slow speeds.

Mind you Nova Chuck jaw manuals advise that speeds between 600 and 1400 RPM are the maximum recommended for their various jaws. I guess most turners would use slightly higher speeds than these based on their experience and the size of the work-piece. Certainly if the piece is supported by the tailstock then some speed increase can be effected safely.

As Jeff said a sharp chisel will provide a good cut at slower speeds. Slow speed work also teaches good control of the chisel.

My last lathe was a three speed unit, 450 / 950 / 2000 RPM, and I made full use of the entire range with most work at 950 and 2000. I guess it comes back to the type of work you intend to do.

Another feature to look for in the smaller lathes is a swivel-head mechanism if you want to turn bowls as fixed head models don’t provide much swing over the bed, unless they have outboard turning capabilities.