PDA

View Full Version : Pine Cone Casting

PenTurner
22nd February 2008, 11:53 PM
I would not class these as very good, tried to resin cast WHOLE pine cones, then cut up into blanks , reason, I didn't want to waste any cone or resin. I really needed to colour the brass tubes but didn't, where there was incomplete casting(I didn't do it in a vacuum or pressure), I tried to fill with Ca, I used some CA and Ebony shavings on one of them. I post them so you can see my experiment. Amos:)

tea lady
22nd February 2008, 11:55 PM
Interesting. The ones where you can see the middle of the cone look cool.

Woodlee
23rd February 2008, 12:27 AM
Id keep trying ,these are very very nice .
Kev

ss_11000
23rd February 2008, 12:29 AM
interesting....but the brass tube showing make its look dodgy IMO.

corbs
23rd February 2008, 07:52 AM
Amos,
Certainly some potential with those so don't give up. I agree with Stirlo about the tubes, but colouring them would make a dramatic difference I think. What type of resin did you use?

Corbs

Simomatra
23rd February 2008, 08:17 AM
Great experiment Amos a little colour on the tube and you will be there

You have definitely got a spurt on:2tsup:

artme
23rd February 2008, 09:23 AM
They are fantstic Amos and with a little colouring on the tubes will be really fantastic!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Congrats for experimenting.

dai sensei
23rd February 2008, 10:45 AM
Looks like your getting the process down pat.

You could use paint as others have suggested, or use tinted or metal (ie brass, gold or silver) filled resin, next time to overcome the problem with the sleeves.

Big Shed
23rd February 2008, 11:09 AM
They look great Amos:2tsup:

As dai-sensei suggests, metal powder filled casting resin would be an interesting thing to try. There have been a few articles in the UK magazine Woodturning on this subject with banksia cones, will bring a copy with me next week.

Now there's a thought for pen blanks, banksia cones......................

Edit:

Must be getting old and suffering from CRAFT disease. This has of course been done before, see WIP (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=56021&highlight=banksia) by dai sensei

NewLondon88
23rd February 2008, 12:41 PM
You know .. I don't really mind the brass tubes at all. They could be cleaned up a little, sure.. maybe touch them with 320 sandpaper on the mandrel to give them a uniform scratch pattern so they look cleaner.. but I don't mind it. Sort of like seeing the working parts of a clock or watch .. some are designed that way. You get a little 'sneak peek' behind the pine cone.

tea lady
23rd February 2008, 06:04 PM
What about black resin around the pinecone. Would really show up the pattern. I don't mind the metal ring either.

Sawdust Maker
23rd February 2008, 10:45 PM
Very interesting
on the whole I think the experimenting is worthwhile:2tsup::2tsup:

markharrison
24th February 2008, 10:26 AM
I also like the look of the brass tubing. Maybe just go with it and polish the tubes first?

PenTurner
24th February 2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you for constructive and encouraging criticism, I need it, Amos:):2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2008, 09:11 PM
Another of my posts seems to have ended up in the bit-bucket. :roll:

I really like the 3D effect the clear resin gives to the cone, but the brass tube does make it look a bit tacky. However, if it was of the same gold finish as the rest of the trim it'd be a seriously nice effect - as then it'd look as though the trim/tube were turned from the one piece of metal and would have people puzzled over "how did you do that?" (And look bloody nice, too! :;)

As it is, it's obvious the tube is a seperate piece, giving the "trick" away as it were.

Painting the tube first would improve the overall appearance better than colouring the epoxy, IMHO, in that it keeps the 3D effect of the cone... but it wouldn't look as good as a matching "gold" tube.

Just my opinion.

PenTurner
25th February 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas Skew, when I get you down here I will let you show me how!:D Thanks again for the comments, Amos

NewLondon88
25th February 2008, 11:35 PM
Another of my posts seems to have ended up in the bit-bucket. :roll:

I really like the 3D effect the clear resin gives to the cone, but the brass tube does make it look a bit tacky. However, if it was of the same gold finish as the rest of the trim it'd be a seriously nice effect - as then it'd look as though the trim/tube were turned from the one piece of metal and would have people puzzled over "how did you do that?" (And look bloody nice, too! :;)

:exactly:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the ideas Skew, when I get you down here I will let you show me how!:D Thanks again for the comments, Amos

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your latest creations "in the flesh." Pictures never do a pen justice.

BTW, even though my last post was a bit of a critique, it's still a very, very nice pen. :2tsup:

PenTurner
26th February 2008, 09:44 AM
Skew, I know the "spirit" inwhich you give your critique and am very happy to get good advice. Amos:)