PDA

View Full Version : Flared Bedside - My Latest Sketching

BozInOz
23rd February 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty happy with how this project is coming together. Construction should start next week, in time for a present for a friend's wedding... just don't tell him.

Andy Mac
23rd February 2008, 07:44 PM
Looks good Boz, I like the flared legs. How are those tabs connected to the side walls, and for that matter, the top? Also, the wood grain, is that a standard Sketchup skin or something you've added?

Cheers,

BozInOz
23rd February 2008, 08:48 PM
Not sure which joint you're talking about, but here's the blown up pic. I spent a fair while pondering how to attach everything and maximise drawer space. I think this works well. I'm very keen for any suggestions though.

As for the texture. I typed "camphor laurel" into google images and added it. I added a high amount of textures from a link on the forums, which I don't have the link at the moment. Looks great, but doesn't have the textures names matched to timbers.

Andy Mac
23rd February 2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks Boz. I see now they're like table buttons which locate in a groove along the sides. But how do you access the screws when tightening them onto the top? Does the bottom slide in afterwards?
I should look up some extra textures like that...

Cheers

BozInOz
29th February 2008, 09:18 AM
I'm going to use part of a 50mm slab to make the legs.
Meaning the original 50x50 leg is now going to be 45x55, and for simplicity I'll put the curve on 2 sides only. Since it's wider and only one side I've made the curve go in 20mm on the 55 side instead of 10mm.

Now my question is, on the short side 45, should it go in 10 or 20. 20 makes it thin (35x25 in the middle) but I only need one pattern... i could make it go in 10 (35x35 in the middle)...

I've included sketches of both.

BozInOz
21st March 2008, 08:05 AM
With still a fair bit of work to do here's the latest.

I used a 27mm CMT pattern bit and home made jig to cut the curve in the legs after rough cut on the bandsaw. Now i'm going over them with a scraper because when I flipped them it wasn't 100% perfect. I tried to minise it by making a half pattern and flipping it to make my full pattern.

Frame and panel at the base. Spline to join bookmatch.

Top is thinner then I wanted. Ran it through thicknesser the wrong way once and lost 2-3mm to fix it. Next step is plane the edge and dowel the joint. Will roundover the edge.

Joints you can see in plan, compound stepped m&t. Mostly cut on router. Some chiselling and bradpoint debulking. Still need to tidy them up a bit.

Rattrap
21st March 2008, 08:45 AM
Good job Boz! I've only just installed sketchup & i'm still working out how to use it. I was wondering what it was capable of. Do u fully design your projects with sketchup as u did in your first post before u start your projects, exploded views & all?