PDA

View Full Version : Mishaps - Mistakes - Disasters....... and Recoveries

Hardenfast
24th February 2008, 04:58 PM
I’ve witnessed with some interest a few posts herein regarding various turning projects which have gone wrong for one reason or another – whether it be vagaries of the timber used (warping, shrinkage, splitting), failure or destabilisation due to inherent defects, equipment deficiency and user error. I’ve also read the horror stories of lathes which have flung pieces of disintegrating bowls etc around the workshop like deadly ninja knives.

I have also seen some brilliant recoveries of projects which weren’t completely destroyed, and thought I would add a couple of my own for consideration and comment by the learned assemblage. I have written this thread over a little while, so I hope it doesn’t bore the bejesus out of you all.

Although I’ve only been at this turning discipline for a little while I already have a couple of faux pas worthy of mention, as well as recoveries and completion techniques which may be of interest to some.
The first was to be a fairly simple bowl from a nice little piece of spalted root stock found in a local paddock after some clearing works. Steve from the Lumber Bunker recently identified the piece as most likely to be from a Sydney Blue Gum, which would seem to be consistent with local timbers - so SBG it is. The piece was already quite dry when found it but I kept it for 6 months or so before roughing it out to a bowl of about 200mm diameter. It had some brittle edges and associated cracking, as well as a large-ish split near the base, but I thought these defects would just add to the appeal of the piece if finished correctly.

I decided to try a bit of the Turquoise filler I had purchased to fill the crack at the base and make it a feature, and persevered with turning the bowl to about 10mm thick even though the rim was getting a little fragile. Of course the inevitable happened. A chunk of the rim caught on the gouge and went whistling off somewhere, at the same time tearing the base of the piece out of the chuck. Not sure that these photos are great, but you can probably see the cracked edge of the bowl and the missing piece, and the torn out chuck mortice adjacent to the Turquoise filler. You can see the rim a little better in the photo below as I set it back on the chuck a few months later to amputate the offending section. Anyway, I quickly lost interest in this piece and set it aside with a few others for future contemplation.

67877 67878
<o></o>The second was to be my 4<sup>th</sup> segmented bowl. Flushed with moderate success after a few previous pieces - http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=550499#post550499

- I started to cut and glue together some random offcuts that I had gathered. I had some small chain-sawn pieces of She-Oak from a family property down at Goulburn - a few offcuts of the Sydney Blue Gum from the above piece – a few small strips of White Beech – and a small section of Eucalyptus burl which I had obtained from the Lumber Bunker. Something good must come of all this this!

As usual I didn’t bother with any setout detail or any idea of the shape of the finished piece – just start glueing some pieces together and see what we end up with is my usual modus operandi. Well, we ended up with something which was perhaps architecturally interesting, but which left a nasty little hollow at the intersection of the top hexagonal Eucalyptus burl sections. I tried to be inventive and fill these missing sections with some more of the coloured fillers used in the Turquoise experiment above – this time using some rose stone chunks in a pink resin just to see how it looked. How it looked was actually shitehouse – and this piece ended up on the unwanted/unemployed pile as well.

67888 67889

So, a few months later my wife spotted the SBG bowl and commented that our daughter’s birth stone was Turquoise, and that she would probably like that bowl for herself. Could it be repaired? I therefore decided to revisit this bowl and consider the recovery options, and at the same time have a shot at fixing the segmented piece as well.

The first thing was to cut a new chuck mortice on the first one. Luckily there was still plenty of thickness in the base, so I was able to simply drop a forstner bit into the original mortice and cut it a little deeper. I then remounted it and reshaped the bottom section up to the chuck. I then decided to cut the unstable rim section completely off the bowl. I used a parting-off chisel to cut a small trench and then grabbed a handsaw and held it in the trench as the piece was turning.

67879 67880

Even at slow speed the pieces soon started flying off everywhere and the process was getting a little hairy, so I switched off the machine and finished the saw cut with the piece still in the chuck. Easy. I then trimmed up the new edge to a nice flat finish. Once the rim was cut off the bowl was shallow enough to be able to remount the piece from the inside, so I turned another chuck mortice in the bottom and remounted it to re-finish the external base.

The new rim still had a few cracks which I thought looked ordinary, so I decided to laminate a new top edge to it – from the perspective of both stability and aesthetics. It was already finished down to a fairly thin wall thickness (6mm-7mm) so it had to be a good fit – but what to use? I had recently found a section of old hardwood ceiling joist while doing some renovation works on an old townhouse in Redfern. The building was over 130 years old and this stuff was hard – I mean it was hard. Still, I had re-sawn a piece of it and it looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go. My best guess is that its Brush Box but I’m happy to be corrected. I cut some small sections around 35mmx20mm and fitted a hexagonal layer to the rim using Selleys Tradesmans Choice PVA. It’s all I ever use and have had no failures to date.

The next day I remounted the piece and quickly turned the rim down to suit the piece, then a careful scraper finish to whole thing. Sanding process up to a 500 grit finish and one heavy coat of Shellawax. I was quite happy with the finished item, as was wife & daughter.

67886 67887

The segmented bowl required a similar remedy, but I think I've run out of image space so I'll add another post.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms welcomed.

Wayne

Hardenfast
24th February 2008, 05:30 PM
This is the section of old ceiling joist used for the rim of the Sydney Blue Gum bowl. What do you think it is?

67895 67892
The segmented bowl problem required a similar remedy to the SBG bowl. I decided to cut out and replace the offending layer completely and then hopefully re-attach the hexagonal top. Same process – parting off chisel to cut a groove and then handsaw applied to the groove while the piece is spinning. Once the rim was off I trimmed the edge down to a nice flat profile on the Sydney Blue Gum layer.

I then made up a new ring comprised solely of 20mm thick hexagonal segments of the same Eucalypt burl and fixed this to the bowl. Then back on the lathe to turn this to a flat surface and to define a precise centre to re-attach the rim. This has now (today) been glued back on - I’ll provide a couple of finished shots shortly.<o></o>

As a matter of interest, the segment layers on this bowl are (from the bottom): 1/ She Oak, 2/ Eucalypt burl, 3/ She Oak & White Beech vertical staves/wedges, 4/ Sydney Blue Gum, 5/ Eucalypt burl (new), and the rim is Sydney Blue Gum with Eucalypt burl spacers.

robutacion
24th February 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Hardenfast,

Why would you be worried about the post end-up a little big?. That shows that you actually had something to say and show to us all. That is a lot better then those who don't have enough to say to even complete on single line. (just too much work...!)

When it comes to your 2 threads, I believe you done a good job in documenting the whole repair/modification/alteration/saving, of the 2 pieces. It takes skill and experience to do such jobs, to which most would prefer to have add to the firewood pile.

The way I see it, the greatest skill measurement method, is tested when things go wrong, as turning, is the easiest part...!
As per UFOs, the risks are a direct cause of the speed, some of us are just luckiest than others...!

Nice work!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

artme
24th February 2008, 09:02 PM
Great posts Hardenfast! really instructive!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
25th February 2008, 01:08 AM
Not boring AT ALL! Very nice dissertation, Wayne.

Joe

wheelinround
25th February 2008, 10:20 AM
Inspiring Wayne great saves excellent ideas

Had you thought of gluing epoxy or other wise a tenon to the base instead of Forstner an new one after cleaning up the damage of course.

Ray

bowl-basher
25th February 2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks Ray
I will have to have a look at the heap outside my garage door. great post
Graham

Hardenfast
25th February 2008, 12:05 PM
Many thanks for the comments, guys - much appreciated.

RBTCO: yes, I've got to work on my setout and planning procedures a little more. As you say, these are the things which can get you into trouble if not correct.

Ray: I went with the forstner bit and re-drilling the chuck mortice only because there was stilling plenty of depth in the bowl. Otherwise your suggestion of glueing on a new temporary base may have been another viable solution. I'm still learning here Ray, so all information is important.

Graham: I think we are all developing a nice little pile of rejects and temporarily abandoned projects. Nice to be able to salvage a few now & again, right?

Wayne

BernieP
25th February 2008, 06:55 PM
G'Day Wayne

Great fixes and handy thread, now if you could just give that B#$@@%$ horse another set of legs !

Cheers
Bernie

Sawdust Maker
25th February 2008, 09:02 PM
Moral of the story
don't throw it out, it is not necessarily rubbish

I should have taken a photo of one of my wet turnings/roughing outs and posted it for ideas.:D

Anyway well done - I'm impressed and welcome postings such as this, as the ideas can only help me in my experiments:2tsup::2tsup:

Hardenfast
3rd March 2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Bernie. Thanks for the comments, although I've become quite fond of my Quarter Horse - I think I'll keep him!

Many thanks SM. Everything I do at this stage is an experiment, as I haven't yet really had enough experience to become proficient at the various disciplines. Its all good fun though.

I have posted a couple of shots re finishing of the revised segmented bowl hereunder for further comment. I call it the Hat Bowl.

68456 68457

Regards. Wayne