PDA

View Full Version : Making a Pool Stick

stick130
24th February 2008, 07:37 PM
Can someone advise me on what major equipment needed for adding wood inlay in a pool cue. I have a small lathe but I'm not sure which way to go cutting the wood out of the cue and replacing it with different wood inlay I've been hanging around watching a Violin Maker put small "mother of pearl' inlay in violins. I can do that but I want to put different large wood inlay in the cue sticks. I won't spend the money for an end mill. Any sugestions will be apreciated. I got some old broken sticks to practice on. I've been a machinist most of my life.Now I don't have access to those machines. I just retired so I need something to do. I love making things,I need the sense of accomplishment. Spelling ain't my strong suit as you can tell. I can't find spell check,

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 12:28 AM
this may just be me, but i think making a new one from scratch would be easier.

:shrug:

cheers

littlebuddha
25th February 2008, 11:07 AM
Depends on what sort of shape of inlay you are talking about, you can use a router setup in a box and indexing plate. Or its a matter of laminating in different ways... LB

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2008, 07:05 PM
If you do a search on pool cues you will find a fantastic work in progress that shows you how to make pool cues from scratch a reallly great read
bye Toni

hughie
25th February 2008, 07:28 PM
Try doing a search as this topic it has been covered extensively

icbm
26th November 2008, 09:05 AM
Purpleheart told a wonderful story in about 150 posts repleat with pictures