View Full Version : how not to fell a tree

weisyboy
24th February 2008, 11:13 PM
this guy is hopless.

YouTube - From woods to the mill

are tehy trying to kill someone.

Koala-Man
25th February 2008, 11:47 AM
They drive on the wrong side of the road too.

weisyboy
25th February 2008, 04:32 PM
sure do.

they do some stupid things over there. y cant they belike the rest of us

echnidna
25th February 2008, 04:34 PM
fertiliser (in 4 letters)

I wouldn't go out in the bush with him.

No wonder we have chainsaw licenses over here

bitingmidge
25th February 2008, 05:46 PM
Looks fine to me.

But then I dont' have a clue about this sort of stuff.

How about one of you blokes that do, point out the error of his ways, maybe you could make the relevant comments related to the time into the vid:

Something like 1:27 - don't plunge the tip in to the tree, it could kick back.

I made that up by the way, but that would make it a very useful document for those of us with little chainsaw experience. I know it will take ten or fifteen minutes of your life, but what a useful ten or fifteen minutes it would be!

Cheers,
P
:)

echnidna
25th February 2008, 06:05 PM
Have a look here (http://www.expertvillage.com/results.aspx?q=How+to+Fell+a+Tree+Safely+&search.x=21&search.y=10), there is a complete series on tree felling.
I haven't viewed them all but it seems to be a reasonable series

Firstly he is using safety gear, the cowboy in the first video didn't.

Note the camera hasn't been held straight in some vids

weisyboy
25th February 2008, 06:31 PM
here ya go midg

0.10 - first cut should not slope down

0.38 - no matter how hollow the tree is you should have the whole bar in the tree so it will cut all the timber inside the cut.

0.50 - first cut should not extend beyond belly cut.

0.55 - only using the tip again.

1.44 - banging the belly slice that hard is a good way to ruin your saw

2.30 - you should not cut back form the belly.

3.10 - plunge cuts should only be used on large trees wheree the bar will only reach halfway threw.

3.27 - should never cut the sides away after a plnge cut or on a hollow tree.

4.00 - what is it with this guy and plunge cuts

bitingmidge
25th February 2008, 07:26 PM
Have a look here, there is a complete series on tree felling.:no:

Need a link Bob!

Thanks Weisy, I reckon I should add your comments to youtube!

P
:rolleyes:

echnidna
25th February 2008, 07:38 PM
Have a look here (http://www.expertvillage.com/results.aspx?q=How+to+Fell+a+Tree+Safely+&search.x=21&search.y=10), there is a complete series on tree felling.
I haven't viewed them all but it seems to be a reasonable series

Firstly he is using safety gear, the cowboy in the first video didn't.

Note the camera hasn't been held straight in some vids

Sorry about that I have put the link in

To add to weisy's comments, he likes to use the back of the bar, if he slips he will likely get a kickback.

charlsie
25th February 2008, 09:15 PM
why dont you blokes leave the good ol' boy alone ! i use "pludge" cuts all the time:2tsup: my homelite with the 15" bar that i got from the last garage sale goes great. and if i remember real good, the bloke in the video tort me chainsaw '101' back in the good ol' days

weisyboy
25th February 2008, 09:23 PM
im amazed your still alive:o

Ivan in Oz
25th February 2008, 09:30 PM
im amazed your still alive:o

Carl,
Surely he's Pulling your Pud:oo:

I do hope so......................so to speak.

hybridfiat
26th February 2008, 09:55 AM
Its'story time, are we sitting comfortably, then Ill begin.
I was helping a freind cut trees on his farm in Broomehill, Western Australia when he got the 3'bar of his McCulloch pinched by a very large dead York gum.
His solution, you cut the other side and as it falls Ill pull the saw out.
I thought this was a spectaculaly stupid idea and told him so but he is one of those bright eyed bushy tailed people full of missplaced confidence in their own ability.
So I cut he pulled and the tree came down. Chris yelled its' coming and then leapt out of the way, sans saw. The tree in what seemed like revenge came down right on top of the chainsaw. In fact it pounded the saw into the ground twice. I cut it into logs and we excavated the saw, a twin cylinder 250cc professional unit from its grave and inspected the damage.
The blade was bent at a right angle, the top handle was bent and the main handle cracked but it started first pull.
Ive heard stories since of amazing acts of stupidity but this is the only one Ive had the shame of being directly invoved in.

weisyboy
26th February 2008, 12:28 PM
didnt you have any wedges?

Toyboy
26th February 2008, 02:50 PM
I reckon your wedgie would be well and truly blown out after that.:doh:

Hafgan
26th February 2008, 03:22 PM
OH!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day.....

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Hafgan

charlsie
26th February 2008, 08:57 PM
weisy i have sour cream with my wedgies, but not while i'm knocking down a couple of saplings like the the good ol' boys in the video i wait till' i get to the pub:doh:for them. as for the joker showing us good ol' american know how . on how to clear scrub trees ; i don't think they'll get a job over here teaching clear felling mountain ash. i still dont mind the tractor they had for dragging the stuff out. all horse power and no brains

weisyboy
26th February 2008, 09:06 PM
would be nice wooden it

charlsie
26th February 2008, 09:37 PM
hafgan what was the movie that line was out of? i think john cleese was singing it ? am i right?

Ianab
26th February 2008, 10:02 PM
Lumberjack song aside ( even though I'm a Monty Python fan) that was some pretty rough cutting.

First tree, the notch was stuffed up badly and seriously undercut causing a dutchman. As soon as the tree started to fall the notch closes up and can cause all sorts of mayhem. (barberchair or falling in the wrong place.)

2nd tree he was doing plunge cuts with the kickback corner of the bar, OK again it worked for him, this time. :rolleyes:

But if he went to sit his chainsaw 101 course, he's gonna fail. Thats all stuff we got taught in a one day farmers chainsaw course that OSH puts on for free. Pro loggers have much better training that they shuold be following. :-

Ian

charlsie
27th February 2008, 09:14 PM
Ian if you are a monty fan can you tell me the name of the movie, the lumber jack song came from?

ss_11000
27th February 2008, 09:55 PM
live at the hollywood bowl has it, charlsie

Ianab
28th February 2008, 10:50 AM
Yup.. The Lumberjack song was from the original TV series.

But if you want to get it on DVD then the Hollywood Bowl live concert has it as well.

Ian

artme
28th February 2008, 08:13 PM
The song was sung by Michael Palin.

My god! I saw my father cut down trees with an axe in less bloody time!!

If I had ever used a saw like that I would have taken the saw off myself, Locked myself up and thrown away the key!:oo::oo::oo:

weisyboy
28th February 2008, 08:24 PM
tell me about it

he could have had both those trees down in less than half the time it took him to do both.

echnidna
28th February 2008, 08:57 PM
and a lot more safely

Sawdust Maker
2nd March 2008, 08:16 AM
deathwish - I wouldn't have felt very secure being camera man:no:

and was he driving whilst fliming?