PDA

View Full Version : Qld Wooden Boat Assoc or Museum

Clinton1
25th February 2008, 02:32 PM
Hey, any of you lot involved in the Qld Wooden Boat Assoc or the Qld Maritime Museum?
I've seen a few boats over here in East Timor that were donated by the above two groups and wouldn't mind having a chat about them.

Thanks....

bitingmidge
25th February 2008, 03:29 PM
Go on then.
Or do you mean maybe not on the forum sort of chat?

P
:wink:

onthebeachalone
25th February 2008, 04:32 PM
Your pictures look interesting. What did you want to say about the boats?

I do recall something about that project quite a few years ago.
Other members may be interested in some feedback about it.

Clinton1
28th February 2008, 07:27 PM
I saw two ply boats with "QLD Wooden Boat Assoc" and/or "Qld Wooden boat/Maritime Museum" written on them out at Tibar, a 20 minute drive west of Dili. Tibar is a very nice little harbour, and will eventually be the maritime industry focus.
There is also a Portuguese run technical school out there training construction industry students.

I'd like to find out a little more, as the wooden boat industry here is only wooden dug-outs with a pair of outriggers, hence fishermen can't go to sea when the chop is over about 30cm.

The larger boats come in from Indonesia.

I'll try to put up some pics after the weekend.

Anyway, my boss is thinking of getting a Dragon boat made and a team trained, later on they might do some Dragon boat races in Australia.

I'm thinking talking him into paying to have the Dragon Boats made here, combine it with a ply/fiberglass boat making program... and get some other fishing boat plans available to the local boys.

Or something else thats just as beyond my capabilities to do. :D

so..... I wouldn't mind having a chat to someone that can help me get enough info on the subject to allow me to write up the funding submission.