PDA

View Full Version : Furniture screws

tokevmur
25th February 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi! I'm completely new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right area.

I want to build a few bookcases [simple butt joint] from radiata pine to fit snugly into specific places in a home office that is being built in the next few weeks. I sometimes work from home and use a lot of reference books. [Dimension 1.5m high x 3m width and 2m high x 3m width

Normally I'd use a simple nailing system or screws with some glue for a job like this but I'd like to try using some tapered furniture screws — see

http://screw.hisupplier.com/product/99129/FLAT-HEAD-HEXAGON-SOCKET-FURNITURE-SCREW-WITH-TAPERED-ROD.html

I have a few IKEA bookcases that use these [sorry to mention that name here] and they are very easy to assemble and take apart.

Does anyone know where I could buy these sort of screws in Sydney? or something of a similar heavy gauge or style? The hex head isn't crucial.

Or could someone suggest an alternative heavy gauge screw?

Thanks in advance.

echnidna
25th February 2008, 05:31 PM
The link is not working

graemet
25th February 2008, 08:10 PM
The link is not working
It's OK for me.

Ashore
25th February 2008, 08:22 PM
Have gotten them from local miter 10 ? home hardwear shop ( one of them anyway ) :2tsup:

journeyman Mick
25th February 2008, 10:27 PM
They're called "Direktor" screws. Lincoln Sentry or any good cabinet maker's suppliers should carrry them.

Mick

Honorary Bloke
25th February 2008, 11:20 PM
What Mick said. Over here they are called Confirmat screws. Specially designed for MDF and particle board, actually.

ian
25th February 2008, 11:54 PM
Or could someone suggest an alternative heavy gauge screw?use a three 10 or 12 gauge screws instead of two furniture screws?

ian

echnidna
26th February 2008, 12:02 PM
I use ordinary chipboard screws, just drill a pilot hole the full length of screw

artme
26th February 2008, 08:52 PM
Welcome to our sanctary for the insane and the sane Tokevmur. All you need to do is choose a category and act accordingly.:D:p
Ikea in Brisbane has a bin full of " spare hardware" that includes those screws. $2 gets you plenty! Try your Sydney store for that (Bagain Corner).
Failing that try:

Lincoln Sentry or Haffele.
what Echidna says
Routing a groove and placing shelves in these hel in by a couple of shorter chip screws.
if you insist on using the screws you want PM me and I will scavenge on your behalf!:q:q