PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get it?

craigb
5th January 2004, 03:53 PM
I'm need to buy some cut to size perspex and was wondering where others source it from.

I found a place in Artarmon that will do it for me but they aren't open on the weekends.

Anybody else got perspex cut to size in Sydney?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

TIA

Craig

Termite
5th January 2004, 04:00 PM
Look in the yellow pages under plastic. There is one in your area.
Regards
Termite

craigb
5th January 2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah. That's how I found the guy in Artarmon.

Unfortunately they are only open during business hours and I am at work then.

gatiep
5th January 2004, 04:39 PM
I use a lot of acrylic ( Perspex ), if you can buy a sheet of 1,22 x 2,4 m it is lots cheaper. The guys that cut must have close to 400% mark up.

If you get a guy that supplies cut to size AND after hours........take 3 credit cards with you.

Perspex sheet 1,22 x 2,4 m x 3 mm retails for anywhere between $80 to $90 plus GST per sheet in any color. Unfortunately places like Mulford Plastics and other main suppliers do not sell cut sheets. Perspex cuts well on a wood bandsaw, rout and sand well with the normal machines, but don't do it inside your workshop if you can, because the static lets the shavings/chips/dust stick to everything you own.

Cya
Joe

bsrlee
5th January 2004, 09:02 PM
You could try:

Cadilac Plastics @ Silverwater

They seem to cut-to-size as I have seen heaps of off cuts around the back office, and they are a big time distributor too.

Give them a ring & see what their hours are - they are polite & won't abuse you over the phone - I have a feeling they may be open Saturday mornings.

Or you could have the goods delivered to a friend if you can't take delivery at work.

craigb
6th January 2004, 09:11 AM
Cadilac Plastics @ Silverwater

Thanks I'll give them a call. And seeing that I'd be so close, I could drop into Carba-Tec as well.

I'm sure that there is something there that I need. :D

Craig

Chris Parker
6th January 2004, 08:00 PM
Try also:

The Plastics Centre
and
City West Plastics
and
my local glass shop also supplies - Cains Glass (Penrith)

I have purchased from the first two and the mark up for them to saw was not too ridiculous.

Why do you need them open after hours. I simply purchase over the phone and they deliver it.

Chris

sandman
6th January 2004, 08:50 PM
I have a friend who is foreman @ Pilkington's (glass merchant).
He works with it says it costs about $80 m sq, and he STRONGLY recommends that you get them to cut it to your exact size as it has a tendency to split/crack under cutting /drilling by novices!
I'm sure you must have a Pilk's trade outlet near you?
Good luck Regards,Sandman.