PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Mortiser

Peter Doobes
5th January 2004, 07:22 PM
This is my first posting, I have tried once so this may be the second one alive.

I am looking to purchase a chisel mortiser and I am seeking advice.

I use hardwoods and make furniture for myself. My last couple of projects were beds made out of spotted gum and I am looking to make a set of table and chairs out of Morton Bay Ash (Carbeen - Hardwood).

The model I am looking at is a Jet JBM-5. It is 1/2 hp, 1725rpm, 1/2 mortice capcity etc.

Does anybody have advice on this machine or others. Comments on tips for use or chisel maintenance are also welcome.

Cheers

kenmil
5th January 2004, 08:37 PM
Peter,

I have the Delta which is similar and I have found it to be very good. Both Jet & Delta are well known brands in the USA and are well regarded, so I think you would be safe with either.

DarrylF
5th January 2004, 08:42 PM
Welcome Peter :)

I have the Delta, which is very similar to the Jet. Mine does a nice job on everything I've tried (including Jarrah etc). My take would be to look at both and pick the one you like & get the best deal on.

The standard fence and base tables on these machines are too small really - but it's dead easy to replace the bolt-on wood. You definitely want to bolt the machine down to a bench - unless of course you want it in your lap.

Buy 2 or 3 different sized chisels with it - best you can afford. Carbatec have at least two brands, the cheap ones are OK, but not brilliant. I use the 3/8" chisel most of all. You need to sharpen even new chisels - preferably polish up the outer faces on a wheel with compound.

Pushing too hard when morticing hardwood, especially with a blunt chisel, will produce smoke - just back out the chisel and take it easier, small bites at a time. Also take note of the instructions for installing the chisel - there's a knack to it, and if you don't get the clearance between the bit and the chisel correct it will make a lotta noise, bind with chips or not clear them properly.

There is a mod you might like - where essentially you take main post off the base, turn it around 180 degrees and bolt it to the bench. You then bolt a cross-slide vice below the bit and use that to hold the wood to be morticed. Not for me, but each to his own.

Worth doing a search - there are a couple of US sites with good tutorials on using them.

Good luck with it.

Rocker
5th January 2004, 08:44 PM
Why not just rout your mortices using a precision morticing jig, and save yourself over $400?

See
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5633

Using this jig, you can rout an accurately dimensioned and accurately positioned mortice in a couple of minutes.