PDA

View Full Version : Old Pictures - Presentation Work Bench

MajorPanic
5th January 2004, 10:01 PM
G'day All

Have just found some pictures of a presentation workbench that I made a couple of years ago for the father-in-law's 60th birthday.

It's 2400mm wide by 850mm deep by 1000mm high. The frame is Australian Rosewood and Silky Oak panelling, the top is made of Silver Ash with a Rosewood frame and New Guinea Rosewood vice faces. The interior shelves are Black Wattle.

He thought it was too nice to use and it now resides in his lounge room, supporting his stereo components ;(

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/Bench-1.jpg
http://www.majorpanic.com/images/Bench-2.jpg
http://www.majorpanic.com/images/Bench-3.jpg

Tonyz
5th January 2004, 10:27 PM
Damit your an embarrasement to other woodies just starting out, how are we supposed to feel proud of our own stuff when projects of this quality sort keep popping up:cool: congrat. you can make me one anytime:D
Tony

MajorPanic
5th January 2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Tonto
Damit your an embarrasement to other woodies just starting out, how are we supposed to feel proud of our own stuff when projects of this quality sort keep popping up:cool: congrat. you can make me one anytime:D
Tony

Thanks Tonto ;)

It wasn't that complicated to build but it took some time :mad:
This one I designed in about 4 hours and then just worked off the drawings.
My next bench will be a monster 3000mm wide and 1000mm deep with a full depth end vice (chain driven) and 2 front vices.
I've been stockpiling timber for it for about 4 years!!

jhunt_2000
6th January 2004, 07:54 AM
That is an extroadinarily stunning workbench, love to get a look at your sawhorses;)

Wongo
6th January 2004, 09:38 AM
“Its nice and I like it”. You must get along very well with your father-in-law. Both of you should be very proud.

My in-laws are great. They have been very loving and supportive. I also built a model ship (took 9 months) for my father-in-law’s 60th birthday and a number of items for my mother-in-law over the years.

Well done!!!
:)

crozdog
13th January 2004, 02:27 PM
Sensational piece. Congratulations. Any chance of getting a copy of your plans?

If possible please email me on philip_crossleyatyahoo.com (substitute the at with@).

Thanks

Crozdog

Dougre
27th March 2011, 09:04 PM
Absolutely Gorgeous !!!

Just a couple of VERY minor points I might add:
1. Knobs are too close together (its always good not to have to be too careful when grabbing a knob).
2. Rails at base of doors should be deeper (looks balanced and they are structurally significant ... just look at a well-made entrance door).

Notwithstanding, great piece !!!

Sawdust Maker
28th March 2011, 09:03 PM
Superb bench :2tsup:

what does he use the vices for in the Living room - to hold the remotes?

murray44
28th March 2011, 09:48 PM
what does he use the vices for in the Living room?

mmm.....I think I have a few vices in the living room.....:wink:

BobL
29th March 2011, 10:09 AM
Looks great MP :2tsup:

I have a vice above a door on my bench like that and every time I have something held in the vice I need to get something out of the door and invariably the knob on the end of the vice handle is in the way.

MajorPanic
5th May 2011, 11:19 PM
Well, it looks like I'll be getting the workbench back. :sad1:

The FIL has had a stroke & is now in a retirement home. I can see the family wants me to remove the bench after the FIL's house has been sold.

Now comes the problem of finding room in the shed for it :o

thompy
7th May 2011, 01:46 AM
Its a stunning bench, and i'm sorry to hear about your FIL.

Two rather scarey points come to mind, firstly that you'd consider using it a a bench (i'd be scared of doing it with the quality of it) and, secondly whats in the shed that you couldn't possibly displace or move for this stunning piece.

Neal.

Groggy
7th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the FIL. Maybe you could get rid of the big belt sander to someone to make some room (me, for instance :D )

RufflyRustic
8th May 2011, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your FIL, Major. :C

How many router bits could you store underneath the work bench?:; :D

cheers
Wendy

MajorPanic
8th May 2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear about the FIL. Maybe you could get rid of the big belt sander to someone to make some room (me, for instance :D )No worries Groggy!! I'll swap ya! that beautiful bench you building for the sander ;) :)

Sorry to hear about your FIL, Major. :C

How many router bits could you store underneath the work bench?:; :D

cheers
WendyDunno Wendy but I need the storage as there are heaps of hand planes lying around the workshop taking up room.

Groggy
8th May 2011, 10:32 AM
No worries Groggy!! I'll swap ya! that beautiful bench you building for the sander ;) :):whip::tth::no:

MajorPanic
8th May 2011, 10:53 AM
Somehow I didn't think that'd fly :B but ya gotta try :D :D :D

sysiphus
8th May 2011, 11:53 AM
If I was still in Brisbane, I could offer to... lend.. you some space to.. store.. the bench. Yes... store... you'd get it back.

Honest ;)

(unfortunately, I'm in Mackay until next year, otherwise I'd try :p)