PDA

View Full Version : Staplers

`Felix`
6th January 2004, 02:25 PM
Hello,

Currently I am looking to purchase a finishing stapler for assembling some draws, ply and MDF. I have seen many cabnets assembled using a staple (I am not sure but i think they are called Crown staples).

I have seen Brad Nailer Finishing Staplers that i thought would be ideal, however i wanted to find out more before i go and buy something.

Any information or advise most welcome.

Ben from Vic.
6th January 2004, 03:08 PM
STAPLES!?! gasp, room goes quiet. :eek:

Sturdee
6th January 2004, 04:32 PM
Felix, what kind of stapler are you looking at. I have a stapler that uses normal staples running from my air compresser and that works well for stapling the ply backs to cabinets etc.

Peter.

`Felix`
6th January 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Sturdee
what kind of stapler are you looking at.

Peter,

Basically i have a compressor so i would be looking at stapler/nail gun that will run with that. I would like to get something that is dual purpose like a Brad Nailer Finisher Gun, however i have not used Crown Staples before. I have see the Crown staples great for draw bottoms bookcase backs etc and the Brad Nailer for many projects.

Sturdee
6th January 2004, 06:42 PM
Sorry Daz, I can't help you as I have separate tools ( framing gun, brad nailer, finish nailer and a stapler ) not a combination type.
I don't know if combination machines are available but at the prices the DIY quality tools are now I would get a finish nailer ( not a brad nailer unless you do very small or delicate work) and a stapler.

Regards,

Peter.

`Felix`
6th January 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Sturdee
I don't know if combination machines are available Medalist do one for $139.00 from Bunnings..

but at the prices the DIY quality tools are now I would get a finish nailer ( not a brad nailer unless you do very small or delicate work) and a stapler.

I am rather new to some of these tools and to some of the types of projects i am planning - What is the difference between a finish nailer and a brad nailer (I thought the Brad nailer was a pin like nail gun?) and what sort of stapler would you suggest - a Crown stapler?

Sturdee
6th January 2004, 07:53 PM
Daz,
I have an Airy brad nailer which uses a light gauge nail ( thickness 1.05 mm ) which is fine for delicate work and attaching small trims etc. and a Senco finish nailer. The Senco uses an heavier gauge ( thickness of nails 2.0 mm ) which can drive nails upto 50 mm in lenght into most timbers. I have used it to built cupboards, shelves, attaching skirting boards and door trims, nailing weatherboards and nailed down a deck using galvinised nails in this gun.

I don't know about the crown staplers as mine uses the normal size type of staples albeit longer than normal so I can staple masonite and ply etc.

Peter.

Gumby
6th January 2004, 09:10 PM
Don't know if this is what you want but Super Cheap Autos have a set consisting of a brad nail gun, staple gun and about 4000 nails and staples for around $150. Bloody good value. There is a thread in here going back a few weeks in which this is mentioned by a few who have bought it. Search for the thread entitled 'el cheapo nail gun' and you'll find it.

Sturdee
6th January 2004, 10:34 PM
I agree it is good value as when I bought my setup being the four tools , hoses and compresser I paid approx $ 2000.
But then again I have had years of use doing my renovations and never anything went wrong with them. Best investment in tools I have made as I now could not do without them.

Peter.

Dean
7th January 2004, 11:11 AM
I believe those brad nail/stapler combo guns leave a nasty long staple driver mark when you are driving the brads. Not so good.
Go for separate guns.
The Supercheap Auto combo kit is a good option on a budget.

soundman
8th January 2004, 12:00 AM
I have both a "C1" series brad nailer & a 6mm narrow crown stapler.
the brad nailer is realy good when you dont want to do much surface damage but has limited holding power.

the narrow crown stapler holds much better beacuse the legs of the staple spread and there is the bridge areoss the head but it buggers the surface prety good.

finish nailer is realy a building reference becaise they use em to put the fiddly bits up when "finishing"

brad nailers are more a cabinet making tool.

generaly two sizes

"C" series wich is 16guage wire

"C1" series wich is 18 guage wire ( thinner)

there are a number of manual & air machines that ake a "C1" series brad "T50" staples which are realy an upholstery staple.

You'd put 3mm masonite backs in with a T50 but not much more.

If you are planning on more cabintey stuff a brad nailer is probably better.

Mostly I would use a brad nailer to nail on parts that will also be glued.

position it with one hand & shoot a brad thru it.

P.S.
Buy a good pair of nail pullers & keep Em in your back pocket while you using the nailer.

Theres only one thing worse than the pain of shooting a nail thru your finger. & that is realising you are nailed to the job just out of reach of the pliers.:eek:

`Felix`
8th January 2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by soundman
I have both a "C1" series brad nailer & a 6mm narrow crown stapler.
the brad nailer is realy good when you dont want to do much surface damage but has limited holding power.

the narrow crown stapler holds much better beacuse the legs of the staple spread and there is the bridge areoss the head but it buggers the surface prety good.

finish nailer is realy a building reference becaise they use em to put the fiddly bits up when "finishing"

Hi Soundman,

Thankyou for the information - very helpful. I was planning on using the stapler for draw bottoms and cabnet backs etc. And yes the brad nailer for joint assembly when glue is going to be used. What do you suggest in this regard - and if you suggest a stapler - what type of stapler would you suggest?

`Felix`
8th January 2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Gumby
Don't know if this is what you want but Super Cheap Autos have a set consisting of a brad nail gun, staple gun and about 4000 nails and staples for around $150. Bloody good value. There is a thread in here going back a few weeks in which this is mentioned by a few who have bought it. Search for the thread entitled 'el cheapo nail gun' and you'll find it.

Hi Gumby,

I went to a Super Cheap Auto store here in WA yesterday looking for the kits and was told they didn't have any - some problem with trading 7 days here in WA and having to send all stocks back. So i couldn't even have a look at one let alone buy one! BUGGER! Will keep looking however... See my response to Soundman this may give you a better idea of my intended usage and maybe you can advise if this kit would be suitable.

Gumby
8th January 2004, 02:00 PM
Felix,
I've only just got mine and had a short play around so I can't really give you much idea on how it lasts but the posts in that other thread were enough to convince me to buy one. I also have a builder here working on my garage and he aslo told me they were good guns for the price. He reckons his current one, which was a lot more expensive isn't any better. It certainly belts the brad nails right into the pine. Having the 2 sizes of brad (30 and 50mm) is very handy too.
Maybe you can buy one over the net from them and have it shipped. I'm not far from the Knox store so I could collect and send it for you if required. The original package is about twice the size it needs to be but it comes with a carry bag so if you unpack the box and put it all in the bag it would be much easier to post. I think some other stores have them too, just different brand names but essentially the same gun.

`Felix`
8th January 2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Gumby
Felix,
I've only just got mine and had a short play around so I can't really give you much idea on how it lasts but the posts in that other thread were enough to convince me to buy one. I also have a builder here working on my garage and he aslo told me they were good guns for the price. He reckons his current one, which was a lot more expensive isn't any better. It certainly belts the brad nails right into the pine. Having the 2 sizes of brad (30 and 50mm) is very handy too.
Maybe you can buy one over the net from them and have it shipped. I'm not far from the Knox store so I could collect and send it for you if required. The original package is about twice the size it needs to be but it comes with a carry bag so if you unpack the box and put it all in the bag it would be much easier to post. I think some other stores have them too, just different brand names but essentially the same gun.

Gumby,

Thankyou for the information and the offer... I will be calling some of the other stores to see if they may have the kit - but if i can't find one i may take you up on that offer.

`Felix`
9th January 2004, 06:33 PM
Well I have been informed now that because Supercheap Auto have a automotive trading licence that that are not able to sell nail guns etc... so the el cheapo nail gun kit will not be available anywhere in WA :mad: