PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Python

wheelinround
28th February 2008, 05:01 PM
Cliff's new bed mate

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/gallery/0,22056,5029925-5013416,00.html

AlexS
28th February 2008, 07:11 PM
Didn't I hear n the news this morning about one eating the family dog in Cairns recently? (Don't worry, it was only a chihuahua - hardly counts as a dog.)

Cliff Rogers
28th February 2008, 07:47 PM
Yeap, both have been in the news, one eating a dog & one eating a wobbley.
They caught the one that ate the dog, it is called "Fluffy"
When it has had a chance to digest the dog they will let it go in a safe place. :D

They are both scrub pythons, we have a 7' carpet python in the stump of the silky oak that 'Larry' pushed over on our shed.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th February 2008, 07:52 PM
They caught the one that ate the dog, it is called "Fluffy"

The overgrown rat or the python? :?

journeyman Mick
29th February 2008, 12:14 AM
The dog eating python was just down the road from here. I've seen scrub pythons big enough to eat a labrador, and I'd be worried if I was sleeping on the ground and one of these decided to take me for a meal.

Mick

Fuzzie
29th February 2008, 07:31 AM
If memory serves me right, one latched onto a small child sleeping in a tent on Fraser Island a couple of years ago. Kid was left with an interesting bite mark....

MICKYG
29th February 2008, 08:42 AM
Methinks I would be introducing a bit of lead poisoning by way of Tree o Tree. I suppose you could build large fish hooks into the dogs chain, but beware a greenie would cry foul.

Regards Mike:D

Wood Borer
29th February 2008, 10:45 AM
Snakes cause a lot less damage to humans in Australia than pet dogs, knife wielding druggies and car drivers.

Before you shoot a harmless snake (it's illegal) then start shooting pet dogs, druggies and car drivers if you feel shooting is the way of ridding us humans of danger.

The snakes in those photos were pythons which can cause a nasty wound but are not in the least venomous. Apart from the Scrubbies, most pythons make excellent pets. I have two - one is part of my Avatar.

The fear is all in your minds.:o

Cliff Rogers
29th February 2008, 10:57 AM
Here is a pic of ours, we call him/her Joe Blake (Original isn't it. :rolleyes:)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66885&d=1202477245

bennylaird
29th February 2008, 11:14 AM
When I was a wipper snapper the snakes up home were so big they could eat a sheep for breakfast then line up a cow...........

You try and tell the young fellas these days though, they just won't believe you.................

Cliff Rogers
29th February 2008, 11:24 AM
Benny, that will be 'cos sheep & cows grow much bigger now days. :cool:

bennylaird
29th February 2008, 11:31 AM
:2tsup:
Benny, that will be 'cos sheep & cows grow much bigger now days. :cool:

Very true, I see the price reflected at the butchers:2tsup:

MICKYG
29th February 2008, 12:27 PM
There where two snakes talking. The 1st one said ''Sidney, are we the type of snakes who wrap ourselves around our prey and squeeze and crush until they''re dead? Or are we the type of snake who ambush our prey and bite them and they are poisioned?''. Then the second Snake says "Why do you ask?" The 1st one replies: "I just bit my lip!"

Regards Mike

"I have had a dislike for snakes since waking up with a black snake in my bed when I was about eight years old, although he did not bite he provided me with a very traumatic experience which will be with me for a lifetime". I can assure you snakes are not welcome here.

Outbackrr
29th February 2008, 02:46 PM
I, too, have an intense dislike for snakes. Probably due to being bitten by a taipan when I was a kid, on our cane farm near Innisfail.

wayfarer
29th February 2008, 03:40 PM
This snake has me worried :)

Snakes are worth preserving inho.

http://www.igdesign.com.au/TOG/fun/snake-roo.jpg

Bob38S
29th February 2008, 10:40 PM
Now that IS SCAREY!

Ours only appear now and then but we do have "nicer visitors" who make a little noise at night but that's fine.

Wood Borer
29th February 2008, 10:51 PM
What type of snake is that Bob?

Bob38S
29th February 2008, 11:05 PM
Sorry about the small pix but I can't seem to get it to the size of the others on show.

I'm not a snake person at all but I'm told by those who think they know that it is a python - mind you we also get eastern browns here and I was once bailed up by this wrist thick hose with the head approx 12 - 18 inches above the ground, shaped in a letter "S" and a cream belly with pink splotches on it and a very unhappy demeanor and when I stepped back [very smartly] it decided to have a bit of a lunge in my direction - I don't think it was inclined to have a bit of a suck on my leg but was intent on doing me some harm - I have since made sure that any venture towards dusk or at night has the obligatory torch as I don't want to meet this bloke or his relatives again - uncle Winchester mod 1200 would be nice but honest John has mine.

Regards,
Bob

Wood Borer
29th February 2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks Bob.

We only get Red Belly Blacks and Copperheads in the wild here . They are venomous but nothing like the tigers, browns and taipans.

I have always been fascinated by snakes even with the tigers and browns on the farm when I was a kid. I treat the venomous ones with the greatest of respect and they leave me well alone. When I was a kid I was bailed up a couple of times by tigers.

I know some people are shyte scared of them though and no calm and logical discussion seems to work. Some of these people have never even seen a snake in the wild so I'm confused about how their brains can be so illogical.

I guess we are all different but I do object to innocent animals being killed because some people have partially deficient brains. Fear them by all means if you are a partial half wit but you don't have to kill them.

Bluegum
1st March 2008, 07:09 AM
We are often vistid by brown snakes here at home. We back onto a creek that runs into the Bremer river. We have been here five years and I have had seen thre browns move through the yard had one removed and then my dog killed one two day after that and then she lost her life that afternoon from it. I would trade all the browns here for a few pythons of smallish size if they kep the mice down. A mate of mine living in the blue mountains had to remove a death adder from his garden after his wife patted it when she was weeding. Good tjing he is a reptile nut and hold little fear with snakes.

Woodlee
6th March 2008, 12:27 AM
Snakes cause a lot less damage to humans in Australia than pet dogs, knife wielding druggies and car drivers.

Before you shoot a harmless snake (it's illegal) then start shooting pet dogs, druggies and car drivers if you feel shooting is the way of ridding us humans of danger.

The snakes in those photos were pythons which can cause a nasty wound but are not in the least venomous. Apart from the Scrubbies, most pythons make excellent pets. I have two - one is part of my Avatar.

The fear is all in your minds.:o

I have two snakes as pets also ,one is a 7' + Darwin Coastal python and the other is a baby Childrens' Python . They make great pets and take very little looking after.They get used to being handled very quickly .
The Darwin Python has bitten me a couple of times , she does get a bit cranky around the time when she is about to shed .

Wouldnt like this one to latch onto me though.

Kev

Wood Borer
6th March 2008, 08:47 AM
Couldn't agree more about them being great pets.:2tsup:

I have a spotted python and she is only about 4feet long (almost fully grown) plus a Murray Darling or Victorian Python, she is about 5 feet long and still growing. She will eventually reach 8 - 10 feet long, they steadily grow all their lives unlike other pythons who grow quickly.

Both are only about 3 years old.