PDA

View Full Version : Removing besa bricks

burn
6th January 2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Peoples,

I get all the fun jobs.

We have to install a window in a bessa-brick wall (hollow bricks), we've knocked out the first few rows, but we need to take out a futher row of four bricks and cut them in half (lengthwise) and re-lay them. Even if we could get half-height brick, we still need to remove the row of four neatly.

The cutting and laying is not an issue, but is there an easy way of removing these bricks (or any for that matter) - some sort of saw blade that can be put into a recripro saw or the like and then cut out the mortar? I know we could hire a brick cutting saw but the time to clean the dust in the room afterwards would be a nightmare (still has beds in it not to mention the carpet). The alternative is a lot of work with some long cape chisels.

I think the bricks are 8" x 12" but with no fill in the cores.

Thanks in advance.

Barry_White
6th January 2004, 10:38 PM
I don't think they make a tungston tooth reciprocating saw blade but how about drilling a series of holes in the mortor joints with a tungston tipped drill. It is a bit slow but quicker than a masonary chisel.

Regards

Bazza:D

burn
7th January 2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Bazza,

I've tried the drilling out option with the other bricks ... but it was slower than using a cape chisel ... perhaps the bits were just rubish, I can't remember.

Will investigate further at a few shops and get back to this list.

Geoff Sims
7th January 2004, 12:18 AM
Burn

I've done a similar job to this a couple of years ago. I too had to cut out an opening which required cutting Besser bricks in half lengthwise whilst insitu.

Believe it or not, I used a 110mm angle grinder with a $17.00 diamond blade which I bought from Bunnies. I cut as deep as I could on both sides of the wall whilst my wife stood alongside with the shop-vac, sucking up the dust as it came out of the cut. We had a couple of drop sheets on the ground and managed not to make too much of a mess at all.

The cuts we made didn't go right through the Besser bricks, but with a little bit of judicious tapping with a hammer. the waste broke away fairly cleanly. Cleaned up the rough bits in the middle of the bricks with a cold chisel.

The important thing though was that the cuts left a nice clean, straight edge on both faces of the wall. The rough stuff where the bricks were broken away didn't matter as they couldn't be seen once the new frame went in.

Might work for you. Certainly turned out better than we expected.

Cheers

Tonyz
7th January 2004, 08:13 AM
we did the same ...kids bedroom but i put heavy plastic on the inside of the window frame ,this stopped dust into the room then cut a small hole in plastic stuck the nozzle of vacuum in and now the vac is in my shed

Tony