PDA

View Full Version : re-roof with colorbond

whatever
6th January 2004, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking about re-roofing section of the roof. It has been sleeved before therefore you can see two sheets at the end of every sheet, plus the unsightly rust hole on some top sheets. I am going to paint the roof but just thought it will look a lot better with new sheets.

The area I am thinking about doing is the street side of the roof which is about 9m across at the bottom and 7 sheets aross at the top and 3 sheets high. ON the top of my head I think it will around 30-35 sheets in total.

I have never done this before but I am quite handy with the tools. I have put up poly sheets on a pargola before so it is going to be hard to do the roof? Will I be in way over my head? Is there any tip for doing it? I will have safety harness so I am not going to be putting my life on the line.

thanks in advance

Jordan

Kev Y.
7th January 2004, 06:24 AM
You had best check local building regulations, you MAY require a licensed plumber to install your roof.

zathras
7th January 2004, 06:47 AM
why lap 3 sheets?

I'd be looking at getting full length sheets for your roof size. Looks beter, functions better.

texas
7th January 2004, 07:36 AM
See Bluscopesteel (formally BHP Steel) website (http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au) or Stratco (http://www.stratco.com.au), fish around on these websites for some manuals. You may be permited to replace a section of the roof yourself, but best to check local regulations. Re-roofing is actually not that expensive. Remember to avoid mixing colourbond with galvanised steel, particularly if your near the coast, a friend of mine did this and had to re-roof recently because electolysis caused rapid corrosion.

silentC
7th January 2004, 08:05 AM
Your local roof supplier will provide it cut to length, it comes from a continuous roll of flat sheet. This will save you a lot of work but you might need a mate to help you as long sheets can be a bit unwieldy, especially on a windy day.

whatever
10th January 2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks people, I got a quote to do what was described for a fairly good priced.