PDA

View Full Version : Slab Clock

oges
7th January 2004, 08:54 AM
Here is the finished version of the clock I made for the MIL. I still dont know what sort of timber it is, picked it up from last years Newcastle wood show. Have shown it to a few woody friends and was promptly told half a dozen species it could be so im none the wiser on this, anyway im happy how it turned out and the MIL liked it.

Its just finished with a few layers of BLO as the MIL didnt want a shiney surface, and I would have preferred a better 'dial' but yiu gotta do what the customer wants. It has felt glued to the back to protect the wall a bit when mounted.

texas
7th January 2004, 09:21 AM
I've often wondered why clocks with roman numerals use IIII instead of IV for 4, it seems inconsistant when they use IX for 9. Anybody know why?

clubbyr8
7th January 2004, 09:25 AM
Check out

http://www.wilkiecollins.demon.co.uk/roman/clockface.htm

the explaination is too long to post here!!!!

Bob

oges
7th January 2004, 11:59 AM
because they were purchased cheap from Spotlight, was running out of time so didnt have time to get a better dial. You will also notice the V is not consistent with the other V's on the dial ... oh well the MIL hasnt noticed yet.

multinut
7th January 2004, 08:18 PM
could it be that the clock is made from wood not ivy:D
nice job oges
multinut
:) ;) :)

Woodgrub
8th January 2004, 12:54 AM
The problem with V is that it is reversed!!!
Nice looking clock but, good job.
How heavy is it? :confused:

oges
8th January 2004, 08:32 AM
yes the V is reversed, but the other side was black so I could only put it the one way.

it is not that heavy, sits on the wall hook quite easily