PDA

View Full Version : It's enough to make you cry...

funkychicken
1st March 2008, 12:25 AM
I walked into the workshop yesterday to find a door - I have doors in my workshop...no doorways, just doors - had fallen over and landed on the Precious *cough* bandsaw... The bandsaw had fallen over and hit something very hard called a Jet 1220.

The lathe was fine, the door is fine:~ but the precious! Augh!
From the side you can see a bend in the frame and the wheels lining up like two twisties. Vertically and sidewaysly. The blade when spun made a grating sound because it was now right up against the blade guides.
I tried to untention the blade to remove it but I need a thin 1/2" spanner.
The cover was off when it fell and when I tried to put it back on but the four holdey pokey through boltey bits didn't line up with the holes in the cover and it looks like the cover now won't sit right on the rest of the bandsaw.

Whaddoo I do??

I just spent $350 on it, hardly got to use it, certainly won't be able to get a new one (It's a Durden D1200, one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bandsaw-woodwork-Durden-12-inch-30cm_W0QQitemZ260214288453QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), not too common and much better than the chinese stuff)

Help!!!!

Harry72
1st March 2008, 07:33 AM
Probably do the opposite damage... got a sledge hammer:D
By the looks its a pressed metal case? It would be possible to straighten it up but getting it to line the wheels up co-planar will be tricky.
Got some piccys of the damage?

wheelinround
1st March 2008, 10:33 AM
I walked into the workshop yesterday to find a door - I have doors in my workshop...no doorways, just doors - had fallen over and landed on the Precious *cough* bandsaw... The bandsaw had fallen over and hit something very hard called a Jet 1220.

The lathe was fine, the door is fine:~ but the precious! Augh!
From the side you can see a bend in the frame and the wheels lining up like two twisties. Vertically and sidewaysly. The blade when spun made a grating sound because it was now right up against the blade guides.
I tried to untention the blade to remove it but I need a thin 1/2" spanner.
The cover was off when it fell and when I tried to put it back on but the four holdey pokey through boltey bits didn't line up with the holes in the cover and it looks like the cover now won't sit right on the rest of the bandsaw.

Whaddoo I do??

I just spent $350 on it, hardly got to use it, certainly won't be able to get a new one (It's a Durden D1200, one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bandsaw-woodwork-Durden-12-inch-30cm_W0QQitemZ260214288453QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), not too common and much better than the chinese stuff)

Help!!!!

FC Firstly No Photo's you too shots of the fingers

why had the door fallen off its hinges, It did have hinges didn't it :?

Had some one thought it a hoot to knock it orf or what ever was in there.:?

OR had you been neglecting repairing the door like most young fella's not my problem someone else can fix it. :doh:

Check the Jet properly hope all is well had you bolted it down yet :?

Nice looking bandsaw hope its sorted out soon.

echnidna
1st March 2008, 10:40 AM
Pics would help.
It sounds like the casting is twisted.
You might be able to bolt a couple of pieces of wood across the front & back and pull the twist out of it.

Don't use a hammer on it as its ally and you could stuff it beyond repair

ss_11000
1st March 2008, 10:41 AM
unlucky dude.:(

tea lady
1st March 2008, 11:37 AM
These disaster things happen in threes you know.:oo: What will the next one be? Tell the shed god(*) that you've already got a new avitar pic.

* Do you guys have shed gods? Potters have kiln gods that they have to appease or the firing doesn't go well. Ritual usually involves bottle of red or somesuch thing. Maybe you could offer shed god a Picnic bar to keep him quiet for a while?:D

orraloon
1st March 2008, 12:39 PM
Funky,
Is the main frame cast or steel. If it is cast it has most likely moved where bolted together. Cast will more likely break than bend so it may still be sorted. If the frame is steel there is a good chance of pulling it back into shape using clamps. Some pics of the damage will help. Find someone who if into metal work to help. Don't give up on it yet.

Regards
John

Sebastiaan56
1st March 2008, 01:54 PM
These disaster things happen in threes you know.:oo: What will the next one be? Tell the shed god(*) that you've already got a new avitar pic.

* Do you guys have shed gods? Potters have kiln gods that they have to appease or the firing doesn't go well. Ritual usually involves bottle of red or somesuch thing. Maybe you could offer shed god a Picnic bar to keep him quiet for a while?:D

Actually, the shed god is a goddess and resides a few metres away in a much larger building. Supplication is a way of life, cash works, but trinkets and carefully chosen mushy phrases seem more effective at the moment. This will change.

Bummer Funky, I dislike it when that kind of stuff happens,

artme
1st March 2008, 03:19 PM
Is it safe for us to meet at your abode next weekend?:D:D:D

funkychicken
1st March 2008, 04:03 PM
It's cast iron

The doors are just doors, they're not attached to anything..

Is it safe for us to meet at your abode next weekend?:D:D:D

uhh...well...

Fencepost2
1st March 2008, 07:17 PM
If it is a cast iron frame and the frame is not cracked it sounds very fixable. Do you have a panel-beating mate who would have the tools for unscrewing tight bolts, clamps, little hydraulic jacks, and all the other kinds of thingies that panel beaters use to fix bent cars until they are lined up new and track properly?

echnidna
1st March 2008, 07:20 PM
Interesting, my durden looks identical but its die cast alloy

funkychicken
1st March 2008, 07:22 PM
If it is a cast iron frame and the frame is not cracked it sounds very fixable. Do you have a panel-beating mate who would have the tools for unscrewing tight bolts, clamps, little hydraulic jacks, and all the other kinds of thingies that panel beaters use to fix bent cars until they are lined up new and track properly?

Nope but I know some machinists who have a hydralic press, they offered to bend it back:roll:

Interesting, my durden looks identical but its die cast alloy

Your probably right there, I just guessed cast iron...or maybe Soundman said it was Cast iron....

funkychicken
1st March 2008, 08:55 PM
Here's a pic but it doesn't show much

echnidna
1st March 2008, 08:59 PM
It looks like its twisted around the throat section.

Bit of work with a press should fix it. With a bit of messing around it should come back within a couple of thou

funkychicken
1st March 2008, 09:31 PM
What would "Bit of work with a press" entail...

echnidna
1st March 2008, 09:52 PM
Pressing a bit at a time in the right spots.

Might take an hour to do it properly. Sometimes its fiddling around setting things up.

Have your mates with the press straightened stuff before or do they just take pulleys and bearings off shafts etc.

Do you have a metalwork teacher (or trades assistant) at school?

Ron Dunn
1st March 2008, 10:06 PM
This doesn't sound quite right ... just falling over shouldn't be enough to bend/twist a bandsaw frame, even if it did hit a lathe. They're designed to handle a LOT of stress without deformation.

How do you know that the frame is bent? Could it just be the blade guard? Or perhaps the wheels out of alignment?

I'd get someone qualified/competent to look at it before you risk making things worse.

Wood Butcher
2nd March 2008, 12:46 PM
I have to agree with Ron. If it is die cast alloy (almost certainly) then it would not deform much at all but just break. I would chaek all of the mountings and also see whether or not the wheels have buckled before trying to bend the frame.

funkychicken
2nd March 2008, 07:03 PM
Have your mates with the press straightened stuff before or do they just take pulleys and bearings off shafts etc.

Uhh...

Do you have a metalwork teacher (or trades assistant) at school?

Nope just woodwork

I'll wait till the turnout

chrisp
2nd March 2008, 08:27 PM
Here's a pic but it doesn't show much

Funkychichen,

The picture shows heaps. Look at where the blades sits on the top and bottom wheels - different edges rather than, ideally, in the middle. Have you looked at the upper wheel support?, i.e. the (aluminum?) casting that holds the upper wheel and moves in a track to allow the tension to be adjusted? The support maybe broken where it sits in the track.

echnidna
2nd March 2008, 08:39 PM
It looks the same as my durden though FC says its cast iron wheras mine is diecast alloy. Apart from that it seems identical, its a moulded construction, the back guard also supports all the works.
It looks like its twisted towards the back, most probably the pillar section is slightly twisted.
It is repairable.

funkychicken
2nd March 2008, 09:05 PM
It looks the same as my durden though FC says its cast iron wheras mine is diecast alloy. Apart from that it seems identical, its a moulded construction, the back guard also supports all the works.
It looks like its twisted towards the back, most probably the pillar section is slightly twisted.
It is repairable.

If you say it's alloy than I say it's alloy.

Nothing's broken...just bent

It fell onto the top whell so it got bent pretty bad

funkychicken
6th March 2008, 11:40 PM
Knowing now that the frame couldn't have bent and the fact that saw fell onto the top wheel area, I'm thinking that the damage was done to the wheel holding area..

I'll take it all apart and test everything for normality / straightness, then get back to you