PDA

View Full Version : Big Bars but wrong chains

dai sensei
1st March 2008, 07:07 PM
As some of you know, especially those who came to the slabbing demo BBQ at my place, I've bought a few big bars and I'm building a mill.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=68338&stc=1&d=1204358471

I will do a thread on the mill when finished, I am currently doing a WIP on the Arborist forum.

Thought I would double check the chains and bars today whilst doing a trial set-up with the mills, only to find the chains for my 42" bar were too long, and the chains for my 60" bar too short (see photo) - they are not even close :((:~

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=68339&stc=1&d=1204358471

I bought the 42" and 60" bars and chains from different stores, so now I have to take them back one at a time, so I can leave the chainsaw with them as well (I'll ask them to fit the bar and chain to show me they are Ok). The 42" ones should be easy, just take out a few links, but hope they have spare links for the 60" chains.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
1st March 2008, 07:22 PM
:gaah:

artme
1st March 2008, 11:32 PM
:doh::ranting2::rant:

BobL
1st March 2008, 11:50 PM
Been there - done that. The nuisance for me in Perth was I ordered online from a place on the east coast. First I ordered a 3 different chains (Full chisel, semi chisel and LP) to fit an old bar. When I got the chains I decided the old bar was not worth putting the new chains on it so a month later I ordered a new bar from the same mob. Problem was new chains were 2 cutters too short for new bar so I ordered what I needed on line and they sent the wrong ones - I emailed them and they send me a big handful of mixed links at no charge but I was still a few pieces short. Finally I went local CS store and they gave me the remaining bits I needed.

Sigidi
5th March 2008, 12:59 AM
Neil I hope the missus didn't see that 'big ugly chainsaw' on the 'nice pretty pool table' you'd be in strife....

or is this your "it's going straight to the pool room" room?

IanW
5th March 2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Neil - just wondering which Stihl you're driving the mill with? (Can't see a model number in your photo.) I'm looking at replacing my very ancient 074. I'm not a really big miller, but manage to stumble on a couple of logs/year that I just can't ignore. I've been thinking something like a 380 with a 24" bar would handle my needs and be manageable as a general-purpose saw as well, so I would only have to keep one beast. I rarely tackle anything harder than Camphor or Jacaranda, and am happy to go at a steady pace. What's the combined wisdom??
Cheers,

DJ’s Timber
5th March 2008, 08:58 AM
Ian, pretty sure Neil got the 660 from the last time I was chatting about it with him.

I've got the 038 Magnum which is the same as the 380 and while its a great saw, it does bog down a bit with the bigger bar on it as it's only meant to have a 20" maximum bar on it. Reckon you'd be better off with the 460 or the new 441. The 441 is meant to have less vibration and less exhaust fumes which is what you need for slabbing work as you are in the exhaust zone.

IanW
5th March 2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks DJ - I was afraid someone would say that. I know the 380 is only supposed to have the shorter bar, but was hoping it would soldier on in softer wood if taken gently. Will look at the ones you suggest. Substantial leap in price with the extra power, unfortunately! :C
Ta,

Outbackrr
5th March 2008, 10:45 AM
DJ, just curious, where is your 038 made?

I've got an 038, several years old, manufactured in Brazil.

DJ’s Timber
5th March 2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks DJ - I was afraid someone would say that. I know the 380 is only supposed to have the shorter bar, but was hoping it would soldier on in softer wood if taken gently. Will look at the ones you suggest. Substantial leap in price with the extra power, unfortunately! :C
Ta,

Ian, the 380 will still cut well but but you need to hold the saw back sometimes as it can self feed itself and that is when it will bog down. I have only done a small amount of milling with it on Sheoak using a 25" bar (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47197) and it did the job okay, just had to control the feed of rate as to not let it bog down. I think you'll find that it will want to grab with the softer wood which I thing will slow it down dramatically.

DJ, just curious, where is your 038 made?

I've got an 038, several years old, manufactured in Brazil.

Mine is from Brazil as well, think mine is about 5 or 6 yrs old

Outbackrr
5th March 2008, 07:40 PM
My 038 has always been hard to start from cold, from new.

Any probs like that with yours DJ?

DJ’s Timber
5th March 2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I reckon that the fuel doesn't get to the carbie quick enough, really needs a primer on it to get the fuel to the carbie before starting. I once primed it from cold and it started first go. Just about the only thing that lets it down.

dai sensei
5th March 2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replys DJ, you know more about chainsaws than me anyway :-.

I do have the 660, and it is underpowered for the 60" bar, but I will use it slowly with plenty of oil and a high skip ratio on the chain. Should be Ok for the rare occasions I'll need it. These beasts are hard to come by down here and the price was hard to resist. If I find I have heaps of trees that need this size I will seriously consider going up to a 880.

By the way, all the chains have been rectified by the stores, no problems and plenty of appologies. Both had joined the chains up on recommended no of links for the bars/chainsaw, but failed to check them assembled. Good lesson for the stores.

Outbackrr
6th March 2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks DJ. Looks like it's a problem with the model. Carby kits, new fuel pickup, air filter etc. did not improve cold starting.

I resort to removing the air filter which allows it to start. Lucky this saw is used infrequently these days, otherwise it would get the boot.:~

matildasmate
6th March 2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks DJ. Looks like it's a problem with the model. Carby kits, new fuel pickup, air filter etc. did not improve cold starting.

I resort to removing the air filter which allows it to start. Lucky this saw is used infrequently these days, otherwise it would get the boot.:~
Hi Outback my 038 is the same and a couple of mates have same prob , otherwise they are a great saw , when the saw hasnt been run for a couple of days I just pour a cap full of petrol on the air filter and she cranks up no prob . Cheer's MM

matildasmate
6th March 2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Neil if you have a look on the new stihl bars you have , you will find the info you need as to how many links are required . Cheer's MM

Outbackrr
6th March 2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks MM, good (in a way) to know it's not just my saw.

Leaving the saw upside down for a while also helps get it going from cold. Other than that, it works fine and starts easily when warm/hot.

It replaced an 034 (Germany) which never had any problems starting

dai sensei
7th March 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Neil if you have a look on the new stihl bars you have , you will find the info you need as to how many links are required . Cheer's MM

Nothing on mine that I can see, but there was a number on the box, and that is what each store said they used. I don't have the boxes anymore, so I cant check. Unfortunately, either the box got it wrong or the store, but neither store checked against the bars. At least I know they now all fit, perhaps I'll engrave the bars with the number of links.

tlbsg
7th April 2008, 09:01 PM
my guess is the store calculated the links for 3/8 and supplied 404 for 60'' bar and calculated links for 404 and supplied 3/8 for smaller bar not the first time this has happened

dai sensei
19th April 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't believe it :? Went to fit the big chain and noticed something wrong :doh:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71513&stc=1&d=1208585680

Took the chain back again and they fixed it straight away, after a few minutes to work out what was wrong, then a great deal of laughing that is.

And they say this mob is the best in town :no:

Big Shed
19th April 2008, 06:09 PM
You'll just have to move it back and forth to make it cut, don't be difficult!:rolleyes:

Sleeping Dog
19th April 2008, 08:20 PM
:U:U do those new Stihl's come with reverse?:U:U

Pheonix
20th April 2008, 10:37 AM
Thats for when it back fires!

artme
21st April 2008, 08:41 AM
:oo::gotcha::roflmao:

Sigidi
22nd April 2008, 09:49 PM
Neil is this for real?!?! or did you photoshop it??

Surely they didn't do this!

:))

dai sensei
22nd April 2008, 10:22 PM
It was for real. They extended the chain with a piece of around 12 links, just joined it on back to front :o:doh::U