PDA

View Full Version : A slim chance, but worth a try ...

Jon G
2nd March 2008, 12:12 PM
In June of this year I will have completed a 1 year course in Fine Furniture and Cabinetmaking (http://finefurnituremaker.com/) and will be looking to further my knowledge and skills in the field.

Unfortunately the course does not give any recognised qualifications at the end, only a certificate of completion. :(

The question is (I probably already know the answer), does anyone know if I would have any chance of getting a position in Australia as an apprentice or similar without the usual desired qualifications?

My other options are to stay here in the UK for a few more years gathering experience before trying Australia (or are the papers the be-all and end-all?), or heading off to NZ (my partner is from there) and doing building work for my partner's brother-in-law a few days a week to earn some money, while making furniture the rest of the week to try and sell.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

journeyman Mick
2nd March 2008, 12:38 PM
Jon,
what's the primary aim? Maybe you need to work this out first so you can work towards it, ie:
1. want to live in Aus first and foremost,
2. Don't really mind where as long as I can make a living somehow and pursue furniture making as a hobby/craft/artform.

If your BIL has trade papers in a building trade you could hit him up for an apprenticeship or you could see if it's possible to get the papers via Recognition of Prior Learning. You'll need recognised qualifications to get into Australia in general.

Mick

Jon G
2nd March 2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Mick, I thought that would be the case.

First and foremost I want to make a career in furniture and cabinetmaking, but would prefer to live in either Australia or NZ, rather than the UK, but who wouldn't.

NZ is kind of ideal as the BIL is a legitimate master builder over there, another relative of hers is a wood turner and another owns a woodyard.

But, we both also like the idea of Australia.

I will look into the Recognition of Prior Learning route and see where I stand from there.

Thanks again for your help.

WoodJunky
2nd March 2008, 01:36 PM
NZ is kind of ideal as the BIL is a legitimate master builder over there, another relative of hers is a wood turner and another owns a woodyard.

But, we both also like the idea of Australia.Nz looks like a good place for you to start as you can get all the hands on experience that you want and once you have the knowledge to go out and work for yourself maybe then, you may be able to move to Aust. and set yourself up there doing what you enjoy most.

AS Jon says;
what's the primary aim? Maybe you need to work this out first so you can work towards it, ie:
1. want to live in Aus first and foremost,

You both also like the idea of Australia, so that can your primary aim while you are getting all that practical experience in NZ

Hope this helps

Harry72
2nd March 2008, 06:35 PM
Yep NZ with the BIL sounds the go... and probably easier for you to acclimatise too.

Jon G
2nd March 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys,

My other half thinks that I may be able to get into Aus as her De Facto partner, as I can get into NZ this way, but she is unsure that she wants to live in NZ again and her best friend of 20+ years lives in Sydney. We feel it is better if I could get into either country off my own bat.

The whole reason of moving down under came about by her parents not being in the best of health and she understandably wants to be closer to them than here.

I agree that NZ is by best option, especially as the BIL has somewhere for us to live until we get on our feet and all the opportunities are there for me.