PDA

View Full Version : Repairing outside teak benches on a sailboat

sherwindu
7th January 2004, 07:09 PM
Can I apply sheets of teak veneer atop the marine plywood outdoor benches of my sailboat without any special tools? Do I have to remove or clamp the veneer while gluing or will simply weighing it down do the job? I am trying to do this job as
inexpensively and simply as possible. I also need
a new teak layer on the outside cockpit floor boards. The current benches and floors will have
to be sanded to remove the top layer of teak,
which is peeling badly.

sinjin
20th January 2004, 01:23 PM
Hi, As for applying sheets over the ply you have.
Assuming your substraight ply is in good nic you can glue over the top. Two ways i would suggest and this is so hard to do fairly without seeing the job.
One is to cut yr teak sheets overalpping the the sheets you have and as you say weight them down with anything and everything you have insite. The other is to use very light stapples. Shoot the staples in lines through blue plastic packaging tape. when the glue has set you pull the tape up and all the stapples will follow. But this is dependant on the thickness of your vaneers to how many staples.
If you can not get lots of pressure i only ever use epoxy. But if u can get good pressure then recorsinal is a top glue.
The other method and had although this sounds tricky can give you great results is to avcumm bag the area. If your interterested let me know.
Cheers