PDA

View Full Version : Advice On How To Make A Pedestal

samfer
3rd March 2008, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I hope anyone can help me. I am an event decorator for weddings and corporate functions and I want to make some plain white pedestals from white laminated board to put vases onto to give them extra height. (basically they are tall rectangular boxes approx 95cm high and 40 cm wide).

My husband has made one for me from scrap timber but I prefer them to be perfect and white (also for cleaning!) hence using laminate.

My questions are:

Where is the best place to buy white laminate (and black ) in South Australia for me to use. (I'm in the northern suburbs but happy to travel)
And is there a place that will precut the laminate board for me to the measurements I need cutting on the 45 degree angle so they join nicely.

Also for the top of the pedestal I do not want to use nails/screws that can be seen. Would a glue be suitable and what type or are there other ways this can be done....I'm a complete novice at this!

I have enclosed a photo so you can see the one my husband did ( we borrowed the saw for this but ideally if I can have it cut it would be easier)

thank you for your help in advance!
Samantha

PS: My ideal situation is to find a place that precuts it and i can put it together.

malb
3rd March 2008, 06:35 PM
Samantha, I am in Melb so can't help with suppliers in Adelaide, but there are places in Melb that can cut kitchen carcases etc to order, so I suspect that there are some in Adelaide as well. Alternatively a local forum member may come to your assistance.

Issues that I see possibly arising are:

Finish. Melamine coated material (white pre laminated stuff) has a very thin and brittle surface coating. By mitre cutting the corners of the upright panels, they should join well but the edge will probably be visible still. But I doubt that they would transport well from storage to wedding location and back more than a couple of times before the started to chip the corners. You would also need to band the edges around the top as well, giving another area with high chipping potential. You might be better off to consider making them from uncoated material, and then pay to have them coated with a durable finish like 2 pack polyurethane. This would also seal the units against spilt water from the vases, that would otherwise cause the MDF panels to swell significantly.

Stability. Because you are planning to make the units nearly twice as tall as they are wide, they could tend to be unstable if knocked, particularly with a heavy vase and arrangement on top to add extra height.

SAISAY
3rd March 2008, 06:40 PM
I think your picture fell off the post :D
I have 2 suggestions.
1) go to a kitchen cabinet maker and get some of the 2 pack 3 ply they use for backings of cabinets. It is almost like whiteboard.
Cut the pieces to size and join them with a 1/4 inch quad inside, using glue instead of nails. Use a heavier boars for the base for stability.
2) find someone who works with perspex and ask them to either make them for you or get some offcuts and make them yourself, gluing them together with chloroform. If you run a blue flame over the joints after you can hardly see them. You might even be able to cut a small hole in the top and fill the pedestal with water in the theme colour of the event.
Have fun
Wolffie

China
3rd March 2008, 09:43 PM
samfer, I have made what you are talking about for a few people florists etc. The way I construct them is from 16mm MDF fill all the fixing holes etc and spray them them the required colour. This is economical easy to repair when they get bumped, knocked, kicked and sent crashing to the ground. As for machining Places such as bunings should be able to do it. I would offer to help only I'm currently having the shop rewired and most of my machines are not up and running