PDA

View Full Version : Launceston- 2 strange things?

Carry Pine
4th March 2008, 08:07 PM
After a visit to Launceston I just can't get two stange occurences out of my mind:

1) There is a bus from the airport that will deliver you to your hotel- at the door! Great! ($12 and reasonable). But on the return journey you ring up and book for the bus to pick you up from the hotel- sounds simple.
But they tell you that the bus may be up to 20 minutes late and if it fills up before it gets to you ( wait for it)... it goes straight to the airport! (without you or notifying you - too bad)
I can't believe they run it that way.

2) On display in a building centre is a large table. It is made of two different timbers on the top and has a floating panel - like when you make cupboard doors. The panel (Tassy oak) has started to split at one edge- perhaps it was glued or just very tight.
I asked at the desk why someone would be advertising their woodwork (table is about $2000) when there is an obvious fault in the showpiece. The lady said, ' If that crack wasn't there, he would have it on display in the Woodraft and Arts Studio for $5000+.'

I find it strange, any thoughts from others?

Carry Pine

Brickie
4th March 2008, 08:18 PM
After a visit to Launceston I just can't get two stange occurences out of my mind:

1) There is a bus from the airport that will deliver you to your hotel- at the door! Great! ($12 and reasonable). But on the return journey you ring up and book for the bus to pick you up from the hotel- sounds simple.
But they tell you that the bus may be up to 20 minutes late and if it fills up before it gets to you ( wait for it)... it goes straight to the airport! (without you or notifying you - too bad)
I can't believe they run it that way.

We had the same experience in Hobart, booked the bus but it just kept driving past us and waving us away. :o

We caught a taxi to the airport not wishing to miss the flight only to be told the flight had been delayed.

Im sure the mini bus driver could have take a minute or two to explain?:?

Lovely country, weird people..:roll:

Sleeping Dog
4th March 2008, 08:28 PM
Lovely country, weird people..:roll:

errr.... our country, our people actually. Last time I looked Tassie was still part of Oz

Brickie
4th March 2008, 09:01 PM
errr.... our country, our people actually. Last time I looked Tassie was still part of Oz

:damn::sueme::exactly::busted::sorry2::evillaugh:

Brown Dog
4th March 2008, 09:07 PM
I think they just like to do it their own way in Tassie. On a recent trip to Hobart one thing I noticed was everywhere you went there were signs for local council elections....the whole place seemed to be running for local government :rolleyes:.

Chating to the accomodation manger (An ex mainlander)at the place we stayed in Hobart, I mentioned this observation.....he then proceeded to give me a list of how different things run on "Island time".

He had been trying for three months to get a tradie into to do some work. A guy turns up says he will do the job and then ignores his phone calls for the next couple of months. No one else seemed to be willing to even turn up

If you book a cab (in hobart CBD) it could turn up any time, up to an hour after the booking time.

He had also been battling with local council about a sign (sandwich board type sign on the footpath). This sign was the only thing that identified this place...no other signage. Apparently the councils issue was they didnt like the shade of blue the sign was. ....this shade of blue was part of a fairly large chain of Seviced Appartments national brand/identity, which would have cost thousands to create....apparently this didnt concern the council they wanted a green sign :rolleyes:. I found this particularly odd when Hobart CBD shopping arcade looks like its falling apart

He also said that shop keepers sometimes just close up shop during adveritised business hours.....and even when you ring up and say im coming in now....they just say nope we are closing for the day.

As i said they just do things different on island time :D. But its a beautiful place and the locals are mostly very friendly

cheers
BD:)

dazzler
4th March 2008, 09:38 PM
My favourite Tassieism went like this;

Walk into take away shop to get a hamburger, look in warmer and see a couple of plain ones wrapped in plastic.

"Hi, could I have a hamburger with the lot please"

"I'll have to cook it."

"Thats okay."

"What about one of these ones." (the sauna ones sweating away)

"No thanks."

"But whats wrong with them"

"I dont like plain ones, i like ones with the lot" (lying here, I just dont want to vomit :wink:)

"It'll take a while"

"Thats okay, I can wait"

Walks off into back room, walks back;

"Are you sure"

"Quite. :)"

Burger arrives along with a sullen look, jump in the car and drive off to find a patty, a lettuce leaf and a tomato :D"

SWMBO's plain one was a patty and sauce :p.

But the upshot is, they may be funny, but they are helpful, cute and they dont bite ya :2tsup:

dazzler
4th March 2008, 09:40 PM

You must not have lived there. There are six tugs permanantly hitched to cockle creek dragging it south :p

tea lady
4th March 2008, 09:40 PM
I guess its nice to know some people are not after only profits. Frustrating still though.:no:

munruben
6th March 2008, 10:07 AM
I arrived at Launceston airport a few years ago about 10pm and another plane landed at the same time which sent everyone into a frenzy. The airport staff had to ring for taxi's to come out to the airport and about 2 taxi''s came out after about 20 minutes. Everyone just stood around waiting for the taxi to come back to pick up more passengers. There was only one hire car still available so I hired that. So it cost me about $80 to drive about 5kms up the road to Evendale. Had a car booked already for the next morning to so it was an expensive trip to the hotel.

dazzler
6th March 2008, 01:04 PM
We caught a taxi to the airport not wishing to miss the flight only to be told the flight had been delayed.

I had a fantastic prestige taxi service in Hobart, the guy gave me his card and said ring his mobile whenever and he would come get me. Was the same price as normal taxis and I would ring him at 4.30am to pick me up at 5.15am, no worries :2tsup:

petersemple
6th March 2008, 01:14 PM
I arrived at Launceston airport a few years ago about 10pm and another plane landed at the same time which sent everyone into a frenzy. The airport staff had to ring for taxi's to come out to the airport and about 2 taxi''s came out after about 20 minutes. Everyone just stood around waiting for the taxi to come back to pick up more passengers. There was only one hire car still available so I hired that. So it cost me about $80 to drive about 5kms up the road to Evendale. Had a car booked already for the next morning to so it was an expensive trip to the hotel.

But that would be just about worth it if was the only way to get to Evandale. It's a really nice place to stay. We had friends living there a few years ago and spent a few weeks with them. It wa a nice time.

peter

robyn2839
18th March 2008, 01:23 AM
the best thing about tassie is there scallop pies,i thought ,( why would you put scallops in pies ) till i discovered they are tassie scallops in a pie,lived on them all last week. bob

wheelinround
18th March 2008, 09:14 AM
the best thing about tassie is there scallop pies,i thought ,( why would you put scallops in pies ) till i discovered they are tassie scallops in a pie,lived on them all last week. bob

Their Venison one a good too Bob :2tsup:

echnidna
18th March 2008, 11:13 AM
sounds like NZ

Toyboy
18th March 2008, 11:18 AM
Venison pie?

Oh deer!

ptc
18th March 2008, 03:17 PM
Last time I looked Tassie was still part of Oz !
I don't think so.

Koala-Man
18th March 2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, funny place Tassie.

I visited in December to do the Cradle Mountain - Lake St Clair bushwalk. Beautiful, by the way.

On the bus trip from Hobart to Cradle Mountain, 6 or 7 hours by memory though it seemed much longer, the driver insisted on playing commercial radio, complete with ads, static and songs that sounded lame even back in 1962 when they were first released. And it was fairly loud.

I very politely approached him and suggested that as 4 of the 6 passengers were sleep (or at least trying to) and the other 2 were reading, perhaps he could turn the radio off, or at least down a bit.

His reply: "Look, this is a coach, not a bedroom, if they want to sleep that is their problem!"

:gaah:

I tried not to let it worry me.

Gaz.

Brickie
18th March 2008, 06:04 PM
His reply: "Look, this is a coach, not a bedroom, if they want to sleep that is their problem!"

:gaah:

I tried not to let it worry me.

Gaz.

Maybe you should have tried reasoning with his other head. :roll:

robyn2839
18th March 2008, 06:18 PM
Maybe you should have tried reasoning with his other head. :roll:.........charming..........