PDA

View Full Version : Rockler + Router Bits

les88
5th March 2008, 07:23 AM
I ordered two router bits from Rockler and 10 days later they arrived ..what more can I say:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
les

Wongo
5th March 2008, 09:16 AM
They got your money, you got their router bits. What more can you say?

:p

SAISAY
5th March 2008, 11:56 AM
Was it worth it financially?
Wolffie

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2008, 08:00 PM
Whom do they ship with?
and was it a good deal in the end?

les88
6th March 2008, 04:53 PM
I bought a Tambour Bit Set $97.99 US ....Postage was with USPS $28.00 US.. Handling fee $8.00 US
les

damienhazo
6th March 2008, 09:45 PM
Link to what you bought so I can drool please....

Pat
7th March 2008, 04:50 AM
Tambour Bit Set (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10282&filter=Tambour%20Bit%20Set)

Ian Smith
7th March 2008, 09:49 AM
Les,
First I had to do a bit of digging to find out what a "tambour" was.

For those who don't know, it's the sliding cover for a roll top desk which is made from a series of interlocking timber slats. See, ignorance is when you don't know something I found out about 5 minutes ago

I've seen one example where the bloke made the tambour by machining elongated ball and socket joints into each slat so,my question is - using your two router bits how do you get the slats to interlock? I figure you must need a backing material or some other mechanism to keep the whole lot together

Ian

damienhazo
7th March 2008, 10:22 AM
I think they staple/affix a flat woven strap to the back?

SAISAY
7th March 2008, 10:26 AM
I can answer that one :D
All the slats are glued to a fabric background, then the door slides in a track at the sides.
Look here:
http://www.amanatool.com/tambour/
One used to be able to buy breadbins with a tambour lid.
I want this kind of doors in front of my appliance garages on my benchtops.
Better get one of those tambour sets I guess. Beats doing it the old fashioned way with rounded edge slats sitting side by side.
Helluva job
Wolffie

SAISAY
7th March 2008, 10:30 AM
oooops :rolleyes:
After reading my own link I realised one does not even need fabric background with these bits :brava::hpydans:
This is the link I intended to use :B
http://www.amanatool.com/woodworking-articles.html
Click on "How to make a tambour door"
Wolffie

Ian Smith
7th March 2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks gents,
Wolfie that link shows a bit set which will create the ball and socket linkage, so if you got that one you wouldn't need any backing.

Something to stick in my Funk and Wagnalls

Ian

Edit - Too quick mate

les88
7th March 2008, 11:50 AM
Well you are all wrong.... with this router set to keep them together a hole is drilled in the center of each slat [ width]
depending on the length of the slats , say 200 mm apart a piece of thin rope or thick string is used. I use nylon bricklayers line. It is secretly fixed in the bottom rail and pulled tight to keep the joints together. The other end of the line is fixed to the last slat. Too easy
les

SAISAY
7th March 2008, 02:08 PM
More lessons, info and piccies please.
Do they roll up like a blind instead of going in a track?
Was it worth it to buy them over there?
Wolffie

les88
7th March 2008, 02:18 PM
Wolffie,
I searched for local suppliers and didn't find any. I will buy stuff from Rockler again quite painless. With the dollar at highs it is worth doing. Here is the directions that come with the bits.

SAISAY
7th March 2008, 02:47 PM
Thankie les, guess they go in a track as normal.
I will be ordering it too.
Wolffie