PDA

View Full Version : my latest clock

Pages : 1 [2]

rsser
9th March 2008, 08:20 PM
Just returning to one or two earlier posts ..

bitingmidge mentioned something about how the eye travels over a piece. I've found it useful after having looked at a photo, painting or 2D wood piece, to trace back how my eye travelled.

Did it feel like a peaceful walk in a nice park? Or a series of bounces down a cliff face? Or something else?

The eye will follow a path suggested by the piece and the mind's and heart's feelings and perceptions are strongly influenced by that.

The Golden Mean is a principle for soothing proportions. A piece based on it feels right.

Of course there's nothing wrong with a piece whose 'waypoints' are provoking; quite the contrary. If done well it disturbs our comfortable assumptions about how things ought to be.

Oh, and the other thing: of course we take in a piece as a whole as well, we form an instant impression. Cartoon face was mine too.

Groggy
9th March 2008, 08:44 PM
I didn't know what a "viennese regulator" was (thought it was an Italian ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Austrian taxman :D )

So, I looked it up and found this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ANTIQUE-VIENNA-REGULATOR-WALL-CLOCK-CIRCA-1880_W0QQitemZ230227023546QQihZ013QQcategoryZ111221QQcmdZViewItem) and this (http://www.vienna-regulators.com/).

I am beginning to think that clocks are not my thing. I can see the craftsmanship in them, sure - but all the ones I have looked at recently do nothing for me. :shrug:

(this does not mean I am saying there is something wrong with them, it just means I am not a clock watcher, so to speak.)

bitingmidge
9th March 2008, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking about the "criticisms" over the last umpteen pages, and have to say that perhaps not all were helpful! :rolleyes:

Some of us have had a year or two of putting up with critiques of our work while we were studying or even in our work, others haven't, and I'm sure for them it's not quite "water off a duck's back" when they discover we think their pride and joy might be best kept as a present for their mum.

weisyboy,

May I suggest that you start to think about some of the comments here before you build next time.

Why not post a sketch or pic of the timber and explain your ideas before you start, then you can take the criticisms on board before you build.

When you post the finished piece, you could explain what comments you listened to and which ones you didn't.

I reckon if you did that, you may well learn very quickly, and some of the critics may also pick up a thing or two on the way through!

Cheers,

P
:)

Calm
9th March 2008, 10:47 PM
I'm thinking about the "criticisms" over the last umpteen pages, and have to say that perhaps not all were helpful! :rolleyes:

Some of us have had a year or two of putting up with critiques of our work while we were studying or even in our work, others haven't, and I'm sure for them it's not quite "water off a duck's back" when they discover we think their pride and joy might be best kept as a present for their mum.

weisyboy,

May I suggest that you start to think about some of the comments here before you build next time.

Why not post a sketch or pic of the timber and explain your ideas before you start, then you can take the criticisms on board before you build.

When you post the finished piece, you could explain what comments you listened to and which ones you didn't.

I reckon if you did that, you may well learn very quickly, and some of the critics may also pick up a thing or two on the way through!

Cheers,

P
:)

You have made 2 great posts in this thread - Greenie on the way.:2tsup::2tsup:

astrid
16th March 2008, 11:37 PM
G'day Astrid,
Just a gentlemanly question here,

You wouldn't be taking the PI55 out of this boy would you???
Shame on you for such a ungracious thought.:D
Try vienna regulator.
the ones groggy showes are missing their top bits.

and the example is to demonstrait balance, not promote my taste groggy.

Astrid

Lignum
17th March 2008, 12:22 AM
G'day Astrid,
Just a gentlemanly question here,

You wouldn't be taking the PI55 out of this boy would you???

Shame on you for such a ungracious thought.:D
Try vienna regulator.

if you look at most wall clocks, there is a fractional balance between the various parts.
I'll use my viennese regulator as an example.

The spaces between and above the clock face and the pendulum, are three equal portions, thats balance.

The cabinate timber on either side of the face is half the diameter of the face.

The areas of timber on the sides of the clock pendulum, if you include the turnings are 2/3 of the whole width.

Every measurment on that clock balances

I suggest you goole an image of one of these, print it out then play with the measurments, youll find the parts all balance not just the face and the case, but that:

the mouldings are in a balanced ratio,
the features on the turnings ditto (and i dont mean just that they are symetrical.
The width of the decorative work at the top is 2/3 wider than the face
the width of the "Bowl" base is 2/3 wider that the pendulum.
Sorry i cant post a photo and I cant explain it any better.
But do Google an antique Viennese Regulator.
or you might get a repro image.

Good luck

With a summation like that, Astrid aint taking the pi55, she knows her stuff. Im very impressed.:2tsup:

tea lady
17th March 2008, 11:19 AM
I've changed my mind. I think I like the clock after all. It has a certain presence.:cool:

Groggy
17th March 2008, 11:48 AM
In reply to Astrid's post

...Try vienna regulator.
the ones groggy showes are missing their top bits.

Really? I wouldn't know, Google coughed them up. The second link seems to have lots of tops though, are they missing something? :? (Note to self - never buy an antique clock without somebody else advising).

and the example is to demonstrait balance, not promote my taste groggy.

I didn't critique your taste Astrid, I think I said clocks do nothing for me. I looked at the clock posted by the OP too and had the same view - I just don't get a feel for them. This thread seems to be highlighting individual tastes more than most.

rsser
17th March 2008, 11:55 AM
I've changed my mind. I think I like the clock after all. It has a certain presence.:cool:

Yes, it certainly has presence.

astrid
19th March 2008, 01:28 PM
With a summation like that, Astrid aint taking the pi55, she knows her stuff. Im very impressed.:2tsup:

Thanks Lig,
I am truly grateful, I'm honored :blush
What more can I say:rolleyes:

Astrid

robyn2839
30th March 2008, 05:47 PM
looks fine to me carl

weisyboy
13th July 2008, 07:34 PM
well at the markets today the first thing i sold wast this wounderfull clock. the bloke loved it and was more than happy to pay $100 he gave me an extra $10:2tsup:.

so you can stuff ya golden rule you know whare.

Calm
13th July 2008, 08:55 PM
well at the markets today the first thing i sold wast this wounderfull clock. the bloke loved it and was more than happy to pay $100 he gave me an extra $10:2tsup:.

so you can stuff ya golden rule you know whare.

Well done Carl :2tsup::2tsup:.

There must be more than you and me that have no taste in clocks:p:p:p