PDA

View Full Version : my latest clock

Pages : [1] 2

weisyboy
5th March 2008, 08:11 PM
have been away from clock making for a wile but got stuck in over the past fey days and came up with this.

its a red cedar crutch i cut with my mill it has a hydromiter and thermomiter at the top a (witch i could not get in the same color:~) they dont look as bad as in the pic thow. finished with wattle crystal clear varnish.

cost me $90 to build

whadaya think be honest

ravlord13
5th March 2008, 08:27 PM
NICE:2tsup:
What size fit-ups are in it?
Great design different from the norm.

Catch ya Andrew

weisyboy
5th March 2008, 08:45 PM
the top hdro and thermo are 50mm and the clock is 150mm.:2tsup:

you arnt going crasy i forgot the pics at first:U

ss_11000
6th March 2008, 01:46 AM
whoa...does anyone else think that it looks like one of them faces out of a abstract painting? or am i seeing things:?

looks good from here Carl:2tsup:

Elbow
6th March 2008, 08:32 AM
Looks good Carl, sort of has an african feel, but I would get a matching thermometer when one is available
Allan

weisyboy
6th March 2008, 08:55 AM
dose anyone know where i can get one?

my local store dosent haev them ever

Sebastiaan56
6th March 2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Carl,

That is way cool! I love it! Im not sure I would change the thermometer as I think it adds to the bizarrish nature of the piece, but you could try Carrolls.

DJ’s Timber
6th March 2008, 11:16 AM
Could try Jonathon Knowles Clock Company (http://www.jknowles.com.au/shop/home.php)

artme
6th March 2008, 12:41 PM
I thought that it looked a bit like a face too, Stirlo.
A very interesting piece Carl!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Tou might get a matching part from Gary Pye down at currumbin.

weisyboy
6th March 2008, 02:21 PM
will see how i go with the thermo

i have a few other peices similar to thil i will try other things with.

i was planing on doing a baromiter and hydromiter at the top and a stick thermomiter at the bottom with the clock in the middl but this may make it to cluterd.

wuda ya think:?

Elbow
6th March 2008, 03:11 PM
Carl you could put it under the clock.
I've looked and all the guages seem to be 70mm. Will check mine at home & some brochures tonight for 50mm
Allan

orraloon
6th March 2008, 06:18 PM
I kinda like it. It will be the focal point of the room.

Brickie
6th March 2008, 08:23 PM
3rd time lucky.

Its Horrid, you can keep deleting the post but there is no getting over how horrid the "clock" is. :o

weisyboy
6th March 2008, 08:28 PM
3rd time lucky.

what is that meant to mean:?

Its Horrid, you can keep deleting the post but there is no getting over how horrid the "clock" is. :o

you coluld at least give me a reason its "horrid".

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2008, 08:31 PM
Sadly, I gotta agree with that Brickie fella.

Given the same materials, I reckon you could've arranged them in a more visually pleasing layout. Mebbe with the wood oriented so it "pointed" sideways instead of down, and arranged the dials in a dashboard manner, with the larger dial at the thick end.

As it is, the two gauges up the top make that end look rather cluttered (especially with the checking) and the whole thing... "unbalanced."

'Tis only my opinion of course. :shrug:

weisyboy
6th March 2008, 08:44 PM
that is why i put it up here mate to get constructive critasisun not just "its horrid"

now u mention it skew the clock had fallen on its side from where i had it resting against the wall and it dose look rather good like that.

that is not a crack its a space within the tree where the branches parted and then grew back together

where would u put the dials?

i might do the next one like that.

thefixer
6th March 2008, 08:52 PM
The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of Cliff Rogers avtar:D. But I do like it though. But then I do like uniquity.

Cheers
Shorty

Brickie
6th March 2008, 08:54 PM
I coluld give you plenty of reasons its horrid.

If you cant see it from the pics,:doh::? I will tell you..

thefixer
6th March 2008, 09:01 PM
uh oh! Are you there ?

ravlord13
6th March 2008, 09:09 PM
G'day Weisyboy,
Try Here for your fit-ups
http://stores.ebay.com.au/WISEACRES-ART_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I deal off them for box hinges and parts, they are good fast and the prices aren't bad.

Catchya Andrew

Sleeping Dog
6th March 2008, 09:23 PM
Go Carl!! Very arty:cool::cool:
I've been to a few modern art museum's and it's just the sort of thing you find there. Don't change a thing!!

weisyboy
6th March 2008, 09:27 PM

please do

Elbow
6th March 2008, 09:43 PM
Carl looked up all my info couldn't find any 50m units.
I made a "weather wall" from a burl but they are 95mm. I picked them up at the Melbourne ww show. Around mis $20's. So hang on until the Brisbane show and see what you can get, you may ave to go a size larger to get a match
Allan

Elbow
6th March 2008, 09:45 PM
brickie
don't be over critical, Carl contributes a lot of helpful tips and encouragement I haven't seen too much of your work, except for criticism of jokes
Allan

ss_11000
6th March 2008, 09:51 PM
brickie
don't be over critical, Carl contributes a lot of helpful tips and encouragement I haven't seen too much of your work, except for criticism of jokes
Allan

brickie has actully had a lot of his work on the forums... you have to know where to look:wink:

Stuart
6th March 2008, 10:29 PM
I certainly wasn't keen on the original orientation. The second isn't so bad, but I wouldn't have the two smaller dials one above the other - the lower one should be further out to the edge and the higher one a bit more central.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2008, 10:56 PM
I think that, in the 2nd photo with it on it's side, I'd move the clock over to the right, practically covering the crack, and move the two small gauges to the pointy end side by side. ie. arranged something like: < oo O <

Or perhaps a medium sized gauge replacing (or as well?) one of the smaller ones so they complement the spear-head shape.

(The sad thing is that for every weather station I've made I've spent hours re-arranging the gauges until I've found a couple of pleasing solutions. Then I ask 'er indoors which she thinks best. Almost every time she re-arranges them in yet another way I hadn't thought of and that's the way they're glued on. :B)

astrid
6th March 2008, 11:09 PM

woah boy,

I like clocks alot,
nice clocks with calm soothing shapes that go with the tick tock.
mellow faces.
unique dials

a beautiful piece of wood with a horrid mass produced clock shoved in the middle dosnt make a nice clock.

thats MHO

Astrid

funkychicken
6th March 2008, 11:28 PM
now u mention it skew the clock had fallen on its side from where i had it resting against the wall and it dose look rather good like that.

Told you so:D

I reckon a spearhead o o o design would look good

weisyboy
7th March 2008, 08:50 AM
i cant move the dials now as they are countersunk in holes not glued on the front.

as i said i have plenty more peices the same and plenty of rc crutches wating to be cut up. next time i will try how u say.

ravlord13
7th March 2008, 05:00 PM
Mate I see nothing wrong with your clock.:p

With clocks as everything else personal choice is what counts. I make and sell clocks ( bloody dozens of them ) I have made clocks as commisions that I thought was to the brief only to find the purchaser didn't think so .

I like it .
Andrew

Brickie
7th March 2008, 05:22 PM
brickie has actully had a lot of his work on the forums... you have to know where to look:wink:

Try ozwinner........

uh oh! Are you there ?

Why? :? Weisy put the pic up for criticism, he got it. Its Horrid, its a waste of timber and inserts.

Its like the Emperors clothes, look how nice they look said everyone......:doh:

Rossluck
7th March 2008, 06:00 PM
Try ozwinner........

Why? :? Weisy put the pic up for criticism, he got it. Its Horrid, its a waste of timber and inserts.

Its like the Emperors clothes, look how nice they look said everyone......:doh:

Honest criticism is a good thing. It hurts at first buy gains value over time. I don't like the clock all that much either. I'm not sure that I like the idea of jamming clocks into lumps of timber.

Brickie
7th March 2008, 06:10 PM
This is a clock.
All built on a Triton ..

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2008, 06:22 PM
This is a clock.
All built on a Triton ..

Yeah... they're not bad as assembly tables, are they? :innocent:

weisyboy
7th March 2008, 06:27 PM
brickie you still aint told me what you think is so horrid about it.

cumon you cant keep saying its horid without a reson. what would you have done.

Calm
7th March 2008, 06:55 PM
I could give you plenty of reasons its horrid. If you cant see it from the pics,:doh::? I will tell you..

Personal opinion was asked for. Well we are waiting for you to tell.

I certainly wasn't keen on the original orientation. The second isn't so bad, but I wouldn't have the two smaller dials one above the other - the lower one should be further out to the edge and the higher one a bit more central.

Personal opinion with reasons given and possible improvements

Told you so:D I reckon a spearhead o o o design would look good

Once again personal opinion with possible improvements.

Skew also had personal opinion with possible improvements

Brickie :- i see it as you giving a personal opinion with no foundation or reason for it. If you would not make a clock using that peice of timber what would you use it for. To just say burn it is a rediculous statement as i doubt you would get support from many other forum members on that. There are a lot of pen blanks or a possible peice for carving in that wood if nothing else.

As for your clock pictures you put up i could buy similar to that at any 2 bob furniture store. That is not to say yours are 2 bob clocks but there is more than one design of a clock. So you dont like the design that Carl has chosen, now you need to come good with your reasons, like you have stated.

Personally i dont mind either design as they are both individual and if put up for sale i am sure they would sell just the same as yours will.

I am sorry but to have credibility you now need to give options for the design or an alternative use for the peice of wood.

Lignum
7th March 2008, 06:58 PM
Not everyone has the brickies gift for aesthetically pleasing craft and quality design...
This is a perfect example. I think the Gates were called "Dogs Breakfast" Great abstract artwork Brickie:2tsup:

Brickie
7th March 2008, 07:50 PM
whadaya think be honest

Funny how you didnt want to hear the truth when you asked for it.....:?

Ian Smith
7th March 2008, 08:00 PM
brickie you still aint told me what you think is so horrid about it.

cumon you cant keep saying its horid without a reson. what would you have done.

Ah - I must be slow - the penny drops!!

Don't hold your breath Weisyboy

Ian

Brickie
7th March 2008, 08:08 PM
If you cant see from looking at it that it looks like one of them cartoon creatures and looks just generally hideous then there is no hope......:rolleyes:

Really, you all think it looks good? :?

Wiesy asked for comments, he got them good or bad.

Brickie
7th March 2008, 08:10 PM
Not everyone has the brickies gift for aesthetically pleasing craft and quality design...
This is a perfect example. I think the Gates were called "Dogs Breakfast" Great abstract artwork Brickie:2tsup:

Funny how it all comes down to me? :?

weisyboy
7th March 2008, 08:14 PM
its like talking to a brikie wall.:doh:

Brickie
7th March 2008, 08:16 PM
Ok, your clock is absolutely brilliant, can I get the plans off you, well done....:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

jow104
7th March 2008, 08:29 PM
Weisboy, I consider your clock as a piece of art, and with art some people are attracted to an item whereas other find the displayed item not to their liking.

Perhaps your clock will reach the fame of a certain gentleman named Salvador Dali, and you will be rich and famous.

Have a look at this gallery website of his work.

http://www.daligallery.com/

Calm
7th March 2008, 08:34 PM
If you cant see from looking at it that it looks like one of them cartoon creatures and looks just generally hideous then there is no hope......:rolleyes:

Brickie from this post we gather that your reasons you said (2 pages ago) that you would tell him is because it looks like "one of them cartoon creatures". That is your reason. You have given no constructive thoughts but at last you answered your own post.

Did you ever think that the "Cartoon Creature" look might happen to make it individual, appealing and a positive if it came time to sell it.

I could use the same about yours, they look "conventional" or "Mass produced" which others might like but does not appeal to me. Carl has stated he wants to get matching faces, he already sees that as negative. Beauty is in the eye of the individual and while you dont like them i question that they look hideous???

Brickie
7th March 2008, 08:39 PM
Brickie from this post we gather that your reasons you said (2 pages ago) that you would tell him is because it looks like "one of them cartoon creatures". That is your reason. You have given no constructive thoughts but at last you answered your own post.

Did you ever think that the "Cartoon Creature" look might happen to make it individual, appealing and a positive if it came time to sell it.

I could use the same about yours, they look "conventional" or "Mass produced" which others might like but does not appeal to me. Carl has stated he wants to get matching faces, he already sees that as negative. Beauty is in the eye of the individual and while you dont like them i question that they look hideous???

See my last post, I have seen the light....and now agree with you all that it is absolutely stunning..:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

weisyboy
7th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Weisboy, I consider your clock as a piece of art, and with art some people are attracted to an item whereas other find the displayed item not to their liking.

Perhaps your clock will reach the fame of a certain gentleman named Salvador Dali, and you will be rich and famous.

one can only dream:roll:

Lignum
7th March 2008, 08:54 PM
Funny how it all comes down to me? :?

Not sure what you mean? Being all cryptic again are we... So why is it down to you?

watson
7th March 2008, 09:02 PM
OK fellers,
The Thread title is "my latest clock"..and all the "l's are present.
So, can we keep it on topic please.

ravlord13
7th March 2008, 09:39 PM

GEEZ Mate some of this stuff is Beyond Horrible !!

And he sells it.

Andrew

ravlord13
7th March 2008, 09:45 PM
:2tsup:

Weisyboy,

You have created a record in the clock section of the Forum !
this is the most feedback any one post has yet recieved. :D

Congrats.

ravlord13
7th March 2008, 09:51 PM
A nice longcase Brickie,
How tall?
Whats in the Box? ( what makes it tick )
What type of timber is it made from?

Catch ya Andrew

ubeaut
8th March 2008, 09:41 AM
Personally I'd turn the whole thing upside down and spin the dials around to be right way up, call it Star Trek 1, put it on ebay and watch the Trekys to go mad for it.

You'll make a fortune...... or not.

Live long and prosper. :U

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:yWIFO40Cw1-DBM:http://www.frenchmerchants.net/graphics/stbadge2.jpg (http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.frenchmerchants.net/graphics/stbadge2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.frenchmerchants.net/&h=475&w=478&sz=75&hl=en&start=744&um=1&tbnid=yWIFO40Cw1-DBM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstar%2Btrek%26start%3D735%26ndsp%3D21%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)

Iain
8th March 2008, 10:56 AM
I have something like that at home, has a block underneath to elevate it slightly, put one foot on the flat surface and the heel of your muddy gumboot in the 'V'.
Works for me but I worry about the clock.

Brickie
8th March 2008, 02:43 PM
A nice longcase Brickie,
How tall?
Whats in the Box? ( what makes it tick )
What type of timber is it made from?

Catch ya Andrew

6' tall, timber is Red Ironbark and Grey Box.
The movement is a Hermle, triple chime cable driven, the movement cost a tad more than $2....:roll:

Iain
8th March 2008, 05:27 PM
6' tall, timber is Red Ironbark and Grey Box.
The movement is a Hermle, triple chime cable driven, the movement cost a tad more than $2....:roll:

$5 on Ebay (we wish:rolleyes:)

astrid
8th March 2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry for the flippant remarks.
OK wiesy, the clock.
lacks balence theyre are a few basic rules of thumb in all design,
roughly speaking (oh its too hard to explain) but a few basics
it looks like its got a cataract in one eye.
the two smaller dials dont compliment the main face or eachother.
its too long for its width,
The knot draws the eye away from the clockface.
like picasso, you can break all the design rules but you have to understand what your breaking.
its about harmony and balence.

Astrid

Zed
8th March 2008, 10:37 PM
i got onto this late... thats ferking ugly man.. seriously... cut a slice of timber not quite squre and bore a hole in it to place some bought dials ? firewood.

sorry but I hate it.

Reminds me of some guys I heard about that swapped the same mars bar for christmas 5 yrs in row.. back and forth, back and forth...

if you must use dials and call it art why not a make a traditional piece and show some med rays to offset the bright gold garish dials ? whats wrong with a bit of joinery ?

weisyboy
8th March 2008, 10:40 PM
Sorry for the flippant remarks.
OK wiesy, the clock.
lacks balence theyre are a few basic rules of thumb in all design,
it looks like its got a cataract in one eye.

i am trying to find a new dial for that one to match the other

the two smaller dials dont compliment the main face or eachother.

what do you mean about them not complemanting?
not quite sure what you mean

its too long for its width,

i'll go and have a word to the tree about that:U

The knot draws the eye away from the clockface.

how could i of overcome this.

like picasso, you can break all the design rules but you have to understand what your breaking.
its about harmony and balence.
Astrid

thanks for the feed back.

what would you have done given the same peice of wood?

Zed
8th March 2008, 10:53 PM
ok just had another look at it. critique:

1) its unbalanced,
2) the THREE DIFFERENT dials dont compliment each other, they are diff sizes, diff colours and looking closely the triangle they form as apex points are scalene which as you know 3 uneven length sizes and angles,
3) roman nums do not look good when offset by what I think I see as arabic numerals.
4) a strange shaped bit of wood doesnt mean interesting
5) since we being critical; the photogrtaphy is poor; flash reflection, the "mount" is a couch, and there is this distraction of a cable and appliance drawing the viewer away from the piece.
6) the hole/knot/rip also distracts
7) I blew up the photo u posted and while the res of the photo is poor due to ( i assume) size limitaitions on the BBS it doesnt look like the finish is particulary good, it seems uneven .. what grade of paper did u go up to ? what was the finish used ?
8) a large roman face is "FORMAL" NOT abstract!!!! rules dude rules!!!

thanks for the oppotunity to offer some critique - perhaps some industrial arts teachers can use this peice as an example of how to finish something without expecting full marks (sorry - dont mean to be rude but... it looks like something that a 1st former could finish in a single period (not allowing for drying time))

leave brickie be - if u ask for feedback expect it - how many people say "I know what I like and I dont like that ?"

Flame me but - thats my honest opinion. its ugly, remove the dials and put them in a formal setting where theu dont look out of place.

Lignum
8th March 2008, 10:53 PM
Interesting, which is the ugliest and most boring?

At least wiesboy tried to be different and its provoking interest and healthy argument.

But what about that crap grandad clock...lol.

The maker obviously has no idea, and can only make a dull copy of an outdated design concept.

So many are bagging Wiseboy but have trouble backing up their comments. Lets do a search and check out their crap:wink:

Zed
8th March 2008, 10:59 PM
feel free to say what you like about any of my posted work Lig. wrt to your outdated clock comment - lets wait and see what sells in about 400 yrs... a grandfather clock folloowing formal traditional lines or a bit of E.T. like cedar with some mass produced chinese dials that need batteries to run....

Lignum
8th March 2008, 11:00 PM
theyre are a few basic rules of thumb in all design,

Roughly speaking, can you please explain your rules of thumb regarding design for us. I for one are very interested:)

astrid
8th March 2008, 11:03 PM
whadaya think be honest

Weisy asked for honest comment, OK so some wasnt particulaly constructive critisism.
but dont shoot the messengers.
to trot off and say "well i think yours is craap, so there is a bit childish?:rolleyes:
Weisy's a big boy and I'm sure he can cope

Astrid

Lignum
8th March 2008, 11:06 PM
feel free to say what you like about any of my posted work Lig. .

Dont get bent out of shape Zed. It wasnt aimed at you. I was typing as you posted. I like your work and at at least you gave constructive criticism... Chill:wink:

astrid
8th March 2008, 11:09 PM
Roughly speaking, can you please explain your rules of thumb regarding design for us. I for one are very interested:)

As i said its too hard for me to explain, (I'M maths challenged:D) but i'm sure theres a design for dummies book you could look up.

Astrid

weisyboy
8th March 2008, 11:15 PM
ok just had another look at it. critique:

1) its unbalanced,

what makes it unbalanced

2) the THREE DIFFERENT dials dont compliment each other, they are diff sizes, diff colours

i have said that i need to find matching parts

and looking closely the triangle they form as apex points are scalene which as you know 3 uneven length sizes and angles,

i dont see a problem with this. if everything is even and symetrical i find it boring.

3) roman nums do not look good when offset by what I think I see as arabic numerals.

there is only one clock face how can see both types of numbers?

no and a nice square board joined in the noicest posable way can still look bland and boaring

5) since we being critical; the photogrtaphy is poor; flash reflection, the "mount" is a couch, and there is this distraction of a cable and appliance drawing the viewer away from the piece.

i am not a photographer and i couldnot care less if the picture was upside down and only half visable it makes the peice on worse or better. not to bad for a $30 woolworths camera thow.

what am i suposed to do about the hole?

7) I blew up the photo u posted and while the res of the photo is poor due to ( i assume) size limitaitions on the BBS it doesnt look like the finish is particulary good, it seems uneven .. what grade of paper did u go up to ? what was the finish used ?

i sanded to 1200 grit wet and dry then buffed with EEE and aplied wattle crystal clear.

who said it was suposed to be abstract? its a bloudy clock.

thanks for the oppotunity to offer some critique - perhaps some industrial arts teachers can use this peice as an example of how to finish something without expecting full marks (sorry - dont mean to be rude but... it looks like something that a 1st former could finish in a single period (not allowing for drying time))

now you have said what i did rong you can tell me how you would have done it.

leave brickie be - if u ask for feedback expect it - how many people say "I know what I like and I dont like that ?"

there is always a reason you dont like sompthing you cant just say its horrable without a reason.

Flame me but - thats my honest opinion. its ugly, remove the dials and put them in a formal setting where theu dont look out of place.

i love the beuty of timber not joinery.
i would mutch prefer to see a peice of timber in its natural state (a slab, burl, branc etc) and think it should be used more in furniture construction.

astrid
8th March 2008, 11:18 PM
thanks for the feed back.

what would you have done given the same peice of wood?

Made a really cool skateboard.

I think Zed covered the other stuff pretty well
astrid

Lignum
8th March 2008, 11:18 PM
As i said its too hard for me to explain, (I'M maths challenged:D) but i'm sure theres a design for dummies book you could look up.

Astrid

But why bring up rules of design to offer constructive criticism, and cant fill us in on the those basic rules:?

weisyboy
8th March 2008, 11:20 PM

Astrid

if you cant explin it how can you practise it?

astrid
8th March 2008, 11:27 PM
I think one of those greek blokes covered it pretty well:rolleyes:
its something like 2/3-1/3 or as in the parthenon.. oh shoot i cant remember the formula, as i said i'm maths challenged.
Ask skew,
thats if you really want to know and arnt just being beligerant:)

Astrid

weisyboy
8th March 2008, 11:29 PM
remember astrid you should only prech what what you practice.

and you obviously dont practice it cos u dont even know what it is that you are preching

tea lady
8th March 2008, 11:42 PM
(She wades in to the fray..)

So Wiesyboy, what was your aim with this piece? The success or otherwise of the finished piece can only be judged against what you were aiming to achieve.

The over all impression at first viewing is of a face, with quirky slightly off set odd eyes, line for a nose, clock for mouth. Even ears provided by shape of wood. It looks funny (hilarious. OK and peculiar.:D ) and almost Picasso-esk.(is that a word?) If this was the aim it perhaps could have been taken even further, perhaps with the choice of a white clock face to be teeth, and even more offset eyes. Perhaps this is the start of a whole new humerous phase.

If your aim was just to make a clock with barometer etc, then I'm not sure it is a success because the quirky face impression is so strong that it is hard to ignore. "Normal" clocks are a bit more boring, emphasizing symmetry and balance, and imagine they belong in gentlemens clubs. (The kind Rumpole of the Bailey went to.) The choice of wood could have been a little more subdued. This piece of wood definitely wanted to be a face.

Lignum
8th March 2008, 11:45 PM
I think one of those greek blokes covered it pretty well:rolleyes:
its something like 2/3-1/3 or as in the parthenon.. oh shoot i cant remember the formula, as i said i'm maths challenged.

Lol... I think i will try your method on my next cupboard:)

astrid
8th March 2008, 11:47 PM
Heh Heh,
I think you will be needing the door smilie TL

Astrid

tea lady
8th March 2008, 11:58 PM
Constructive criticism is extremely hard to give. People study for years to try to do it right. Sensitive feelings. Terminology that can get lost in translation. Critics have to hide in dark caves because they can never please everyone. In this environment, where we are all just "friends" it is even more difficult. Hows that old saying...No on likes a critic. But we are, in a funny fumbling way getting somewhere, aren't we? consensus seems to be there is something not quite right with the "clock". IMHO it is because it is neither one thing or the other. The piece of wood is too strong in itself to carry other things. You said yourself Weisyboy that you couldn't ask the tree to be different, but I don't think it wanted to be an ordinary clock.

jow104
8th March 2008, 11:59 PM
Dali clocks are the best designs, dont think picasso had the expertise to do a good one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=dali%20clock&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-2_blended_211500152_1&results-process=default

tea lady
9th March 2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think Picasso even tried to make a clock, but he had a pottery phase and a hell of a lot of the plates and objects he decorated had faces on them. This is what I was referring to. There is also a cows head (I think it is ) made out of a bike seat and handle bars. It is very funny, and is art. Just because Dali put a few melting clocks in a painting doesn't make him the bees knees in wacky clock design. Only that someone else has made a squillionn copying them.

Honorary Bloke
9th March 2008, 12:13 AM
So Wiesyboy, what was your aim with this piece? The success or otherwise of the finished piece can only be judged against what you were aiming to achieve. .

Another voice heard from!

I think TL has hit it spot on--what did you mean for it to be when it grew up? If as a humorous piece, it succeeds quite well and in fact the different colour dials are an asset, not a liability. Makes it look a bit cock-eyed and adds to the effect. :cool:

But if meant as a traditional clock cum barometer cum thermometer it doesn't make it for reasons already outlined by Zed et al.

Personally, I would freely categorise it as humorous and probably sell it straightaway. :D

bitingmidge
9th March 2008, 12:20 AM
1) what makes it unbalanced

Think about standing on a see-saw. If you have a big weight, you put it closer to the middle and you stand on the far end to balance it. Same goes for light, colour and composition. Here you have put the big weight (the big dial) right in the middle, and then you've stuck the little weights (the two little dials) right out on the end of a the fattest bit of timber so it just looks as though it wants to topple over.

That's what makes it unbalanced.

2) the THREE DIFFERENT dials dont compliment each other, they are diff sizes, diff colours

i have said that i need to find matching parts

If you had composed them differently you might have gotten away with it though.

and looking closely the triangle they form as apex points are scalene which as you know 3 uneven length sizes and angles,
Yep, but the two big sides are so close to being equal that it looks like a mistake. Anyone can drill holes at random, and that's what it looks like. If you'd thought about balance (and I'm not having a go, I understand you weren't aware of the concept until now) you might have further offset the two smaller dials a bit more to make the triangle look more deliberately offset.

i dont see a problem with this. if everything is even and symetrical i find it boring. It doesn't have to be symmetrical, but it does need to be balanced.

no and a nice square board joined in the noicest posable way can still look bland and boaring
You can have an irregular shape without it being boring. OK I've gone to an extreme in my example, but yours has too many elements fighting for attention, the knot, the "ears", the "chin". If you just want to look at an interesting piece of wood, why bother with the clocks and stuff?

If you want to make a clock, then the bit of wood should not dominate, the clock should. If you have a look at yours, the dominant bit is the dark bit round the knot, the "nose". If you look at my example, your eye is drawn to the clock first. Try to work out why that is?

Both are at the same scale by the way, so you can see I've just trimmed a bit off the ends to change the proportion drastically.

5) i am not a photographer and i couldnot care less if the picture was upside down and only half visable it makes the peice on worse or better. not to bad for a $30 woolworths camera thow.
but it does make a big difference to everyone's impression of the piece. With a $30 camera, you can still make sure you get a light above it or take it outside.

what am i suposed to do about the hole?

Think about it. If you'd put the big face over it, it would have fitted better in the widest part of the board as well.

who said it was suposed to be abstract? its a bloudy clock.

I'm not overly concerned with that one, but zeddie is right, you have selected a very informal piece and the formal clock face could jar a little.

there is always a reason you dont like sompthing you cant just say its horrable without a reason.

Well you've got my reasons Carl, I agree that to my eye as well it looks as though little thought has gone in to it. Just as you quite correctly want your critics to have a reason for their criticism, you should be able to provide the reason for your design decisions.

Why for instance did you leave the waney edge on the left hand side? If find that just as distracting as the "ears".

Why did you put the big face so low in the piece where it barely fits, making the surround look very weak visually?

Why did you decide to mount it pointy end down?

You asked Astrid what she'd do, so I thought I'd have a play myself. I wouldn't actually build a piece like this as it's not my thing, but I'd fair the edges a little, not so much that they became "manufactured", I'd can the ear's and then to balance it all a bit better I'd crop the "chin" a bit. I'd mount the big dial over the knot, leaving plenty of meat around it's perimeter so it looks like it was meant to be. Then I'd mount the smaller dial, then the middle one below it.

To my eye, it all balances now, and looks as though I've thought about it.

I'd be curious to see if others who were critical of your piece agree.

I have to say that I wasn't going to buy in to this. I agree with the critics and I figured you didn't need another knocker, but hopefully I've explained enough to give you an appreciation of why we don't like it.

If that's not good enough, well I guess I won't bother taking the time in future!

Cheers,

P
:)

astrid
9th March 2008, 12:30 AM
well done midge :clap
one question?
what did you do with its nose?

Astrid:D

bitingmidge
9th March 2008, 12:33 AM
what did you do with its nose?
I put a smile on its dial.

P
:D:D:D

Lignum
9th March 2008, 12:35 AM
Astrid, you still havnt given us your theory on the design basics as to why you dont like the clock.

tea lady
9th March 2008, 12:36 AM
:no: I'm still not convinced. The wood is still asymatrical. The various dials and faces need to reflect this not just march down the middle. Will do a drawing myself in a minute. Just work out how. Back soon.:D

astrid
9th March 2008, 12:56 AM
Astrid, you still havnt given us your theory on the design basics as to why you dont like the clock.

UM ER because its horrid:D
Actually i have, about 1/2 1000000 posts ago.
go back 1/3 to two thirds ago

Lig why dont you give us your honest assessment instead of being a SA
I make a pretty good living from my talent and thats not selling crap at craft markets

Cheers

Astrid

Brickie
9th March 2008, 06:42 AM
Astrid try the Golden Ration (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=golden+ration&btnG=Search&meta=) of ratio = 1.61803399 next time you make something, it gives a nice balanced look.

Just ignore Lignum, he is trying for the job of forum grouch. :D
Try and include the word "Festool" into the conversation and he settles down.

Grunt
9th March 2008, 08:03 AM
there is always a reason you dont like sompthing you cant just say its horrable without a reason.Actually, you can. You asked for an opinion and that was Brickie's honest opinion of it. It's an objective thing, a personal opinion.

People can say that they think the colour purple is horrid. When asked why, they won't be able to express it in words. None the less, the colour purple will still make them puke. http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif

As in the case for me with this barometer thing.

astrid
9th March 2008, 08:35 AM
Astrid try the Golden Ration (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=golden+ration&btnG=Search&meta=) of ratio = 1.61803399 next time you make something, it gives a nice balanced look.

Thanks Brickie,
thats the one i was looking for, it might make the barraclock look less bendy when wiesy makes the next one 30m high:oo:

Astrid:D

ubeaut
9th March 2008, 08:59 AM
It's Still Upside Down!!!

Eli
9th March 2008, 09:31 AM
One important purpose of art is to promote dialogue. It has accomplished that. Warhol on canvasses. Jackson Pollack threw paint at them. A work by either is several thousands now. Why? Because they were good? Some thought so, some didn't. But they all debated whether they were good or not. Picasso, another great example. My Mother paints better I think, and her portraits of children make me want to go hide. Not important. My Mother will never have a gallery show, or an agent. Picasso made enough of those bad paintings that someone would remember.

I think the important thing Weisy is that you like it. If you like it enough, make several hundred of them and you'll ensure you will have a place somewhere in clock history.

You did ask for and you did get plenty of opinion. Whether it's good art or bad art or not art at all, it's your creation. Don't be wounded by what some think. All that's ultimately important in the end is what it means to you.

Rossluck
9th March 2008, 09:34 AM
I just don't like the idea of jamming cheap movements into lumps of timber or records or car parts and so on. These projects have a "when the clock fails I'll chuck this in the bin" look about them.

To me its about the quality of the clock first, and then where its positioned second. Professional clockmakers know this.

weisyboy
9th March 2008, 11:33 AM
thanks "midg" that is exactly what i was looking for.:2tsup:

ratio = 1.61803399

that is not a ratio it is just a number?

how am i suposed to use that?

Zed
9th March 2008, 12:13 PM
Weisy, google 'the golden mean' if you dont get a million hits i'd be surprised.

for the sake of argument what it means is that lets say the first drawer is 1 high, the second drawer is 1 x 1.61, the third drawer is the product of the first sum x 1.61 and so on .... get it ?

by the way I gota disagree with those who say this ratio would have helped balance your work. the golden mean really relates to a segmeted spacing (Ie a nautalus shell - some say the original nature derived and calculated ratio) or pillar spacing in a building ( Ie the parthenon) or drawer height in a cupboard etc etc...

you have no segments - you have an E.T looking bit of wood with some mis-mounted plastic in it. since you have a scalene triangle forming the apex's of your clock centres it doesnt work... you have no original reference points to start from.

its crap mate, build a bridge (use the cedar) and get over it... Not sure if it ha been said before but drilling a few holes, mounting a 'something' in it and calling it art doesnt make it so unless you love kitch. sorry...

weisyboy
9th March 2008, 01:46 PM
im not the one calling it art its just a bloudy clock.

i use the golden mean for box making and in other things but i fail to see how i could of used it here.

Brown Dog
9th March 2008, 03:27 PM
i use the golden mean for box making and in other things but i fail to see how i could of used it here.

weisy...the golden ration can be applied anywhere where you have two distances/measurements in a line.

Its used/appears in all sort of objects such as the pyramids, the Parthenon, the solar system and even the human body.

for example, in this case you could apply the ratio to the distance from the bottom of the piece of timber to the clock dial and then to the level that the smaller dials are placed

.......Im not saying this would help, but it is one example of something to consider when "designing" :rolleyes: things like this.

cheers
BD:)

astrid
9th March 2008, 03:28 PM
If you look at most wall clocks, there is a fractional balance between the various parts.
I'll use my viennese regulator as an example.

The spaces between and above the clock face and the pendulum, are three equal portions, thats balance.

The cabinate timber on either side of the face is half the diameter of the face.

The areas of timber on the sides of the clock pendulum, if you include the turnings are 2/3 of the whole width.

Every measurment on that clock balances

I suggest you goole an image of one of these, print it out then play with the measurments, youll find the parts all balance not just the face and the case, but that:

the mouldings are in a balanced ratio,
the features on the turnings ditto (and i dont mean just that they are symetrical.
The width of the decorative work at the top is 2/3 wider than the face
the width of the "Bowl" base is 2/3 wider that the pendulum.
Sorry i cant post a photo and I cant explain it any better.
But do Google an antique Viennese Regulator.
or you might get a repro image.

Good luck

Astrid

watson
9th March 2008, 07:31 PM
G'day Astrid,
Couldn't get your link to the viennese regulator to work....any suggestions????

watson
9th March 2008, 07:46 PM
G'day Astrid,
Just a gentlemanly question here,

You wouldn't be taking the PI55 out of this boy would you???

Brickie
9th March 2008, 08:10 PM
Here is something I knocked a while ago with the Golden ratio in mind, just to give yous an idea of ratio thingies. :)