PDA

View Full Version : Re-grouting of bathroom/shower wall tiles

Mike_R
8th January 2004, 11:25 PM
I want to rake out the old grout between the bathroom/shower wall tiles and re-grout them.

As I don't want to have the shower out of action for too long are there any "DIY power tool" options for removing the old grout.

The small hand grout rake I have looks as though it could be a very slow process

ozwinner
9th January 2004, 07:02 AM
Hi Mike
Why do you want to remove the old grout?
If you have to rake it out , it sounds as though it is still in good nick. :confused:

Cheers, Allan

craigb
9th January 2004, 11:14 AM
Well for removing old mortar from between bricks prior to repointing, you can use an apropriate sized masonary bit in a power drill.

I don't know if this would work for tiles though as it may tend to damage them.

I guess you could try it on a section where it wouldn't show.

Cheers
Craig

silentC
9th January 2004, 11:31 AM
I've done this the hard way with a hand rake and it is very, very easy to scratch your tiles. If the grout is fairly solid, you need to apply a bit of force to get the rake moving and that's when it invariably slips out and gouges the edge of the tile. You can put a diamond blade in an angle grinder to speed the process up but you'd better have a steady hand.

Here's a link that may be of use: http://www.fcimag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2988,19092,00.html. Check what the guy has to say, you may not need to remove it at all.

George
9th January 2004, 01:26 PM
If you really want to use a powertool how about a mini grinding or diamond blade on a Dremel?

Personally I wouldn't be using any sort of powertool for that job. I can see a few dings in the tiles happenning.

Cheers
George

Vonrek
10th January 2004, 05:07 PM
... the dust.... the dust
Read the above in a Marlon Brando Apocalypse Nowesque whisper.
I removed the grout between small mosaic tiles which formed the splashback to our sink and kitchen counter. Why?? (I asked myself that question may many times during and after the ordeal), because the tiles were brown and had really daggy black grouting, i guessed that with white grouting the whole thing would look better, be given a real lift. I was right but it was a terrible job.

I started with the grout rake, wasted money on the stupid thing and scratched a number of tiles (lucky they have a mottled/metallic surface and the scratches blend right in) Spent half a day to do 60cm of grout and nearly had a meltdown of frustration.

Solution, a diamond blade in my angle grinder. Did that cut or what!!! Sliced thru the grout like it wasn't there (also cut thru a few tiles with no discernable difference in force when iwas getting tired and couldn't see anything). But the DUST!! I had sealed the kitchen up and had the ceiling exhaust fan on, after cutting 30 cm of linear grout I could't see from one end of the kitchen to the other for a few minutes until the dust settled/was sucked out. Too late to change my mind then. I finished the job but spent 4 hours cleaning up and i still had to repaint the walls and ceiling.

I would NEVER do this again. To top it all off, the grout pen (White Knight brand, bought at Bunnies) that i bought for 11 bucks to touch up the parts i couldn't reach with the angle grinder did as good a job at converting the black grout to white. I would seriously consider retiling if the tiles are in poor condition or painting the whole lot, tiles and all (you can do this yourself or get professionals in to do it) before trying to remove the grout.

If howevr you have only a small section to remove, it may not be so bad!!

Hope this helps

Tim

chris spierings
10th January 2004, 09:23 PM
I've done a few jobs removing grout between tiles.

The best tool I've used has been a flat bladed screwdriver. You need one with a blade a bit larger than the grout and use it sideways. Don't scrape, use small pushing strokes. If you grind the blade so it's got a nice flat end, not sharp like a chisel it will work a treat.

A sponge sanding block it also good for cleaning up the remenants of the grout left behind.