PDA

View Full Version : Making a chainsaw mill.

Steve Fryar
6th March 2008, 12:18 PM
Hi,firstly it's a pleasure to join this forum,and my first post will have a lot of you rolling your eyes,probably.
I am thinking of making a chainsaw mill.My question is,what would be better,really big chainsaw on a frame or a really big bar driven by a stationary motor.I have the Lucas mill dvd and I am still leaning towards getting the dedicated slabber.The thing is I have a wide rande of log sizes.From huge to 300mm.Most of it redgum.
Another thing I should mention is that I have time on my side.I work a 2 week on, 2 week off roster in the oil and gas fields in SA.Two weeks off can get boring without a substantial hobby.
I'll include a pic of what I am up against.
Thanks, Steve.
By the way,My son Liam is 1.2m tall.

DJ’s Timber
6th March 2008, 12:44 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and some nice looking logs there :2tsup:

I would go with the dedicated slabber mill and swingsaw, you can also get them in an extra wide DSM at 1.9mt. If you have a look through their gallery (http://www.lucasmill.com/NewsReviews/Gallery/tabid/87/Default.aspx), you'll see some great innovate thinking on how to get some of these big trees milled up. Just remember that Lucas will do customised work to fit your needs.

Steve Fryar
6th March 2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the reply DJ.I'll need all of that.I didn't include pics of a bigger redgum.This one fell down in the 1920's or so.It has defied being burnt many times just because it is so bloody big and so bloody hard!The main trunk is about 8ft across. The branches will make a kitchen table,if slabbed.The question is how do you mill a tree as big as this?Did I mention that this thing is hard!!!

DJ’s Timber
6th March 2008, 01:56 PM
The question is how do you mill a tree as big as this?Did I mention that this thing is hard!!!

With a lot of patience :U and resharpening of the chains and blades, I have cut down and milled a similar sized tree, have a look here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=50276) for the story on it.

dai sensei
7th March 2008, 06:39 PM
DJ's set you on the right track. Looks a bit beyond a big chainsaw & bar on a frame, but depends on your available $'s

Stu in Tokyo
7th March 2008, 07:45 PM
Some serious chunks of wood there!

One option that come to mind is to split it first, then cut it up, you can do this by drilling some holes and then fill with black powder, and BANG you got half a log to work with :D

YouTube - Splitting a White Oak Log With Black Powder

Just a thought..... :2tsup:

charlsie
9th March 2008, 08:54 PM
don't you all just love the way the good ol' boys do things? chainsaw might have been a bit quicker . (good utube pick up stu)

artme
9th March 2008, 10:47 PM
:oo::oo::o I note the steam driven traction engine. I guess the log was to be fuel for that. Fire probably went out by the time the wood was in small enough pieces for the firebox!