PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!

sam63
9th January 2004, 09:40 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have sent this e-mail to finishing section, however no one seems to give any opinion. I have built a canoe pedal by laminating red cedar and oak. Since they have different properties, I have been told I should varnish them with a good spar varnish with UV stabiliser instead of oiling them. Can anyone comment on this? If this is true, can anyone recommend a good spar varnish that I can buy in Sydney?

Cheers,
Sam

bsrlee
9th January 2004, 11:21 PM
Try ringing Wood Works - I don't know if they have a spar varnish, but if they don't, they'll recommend something that is available. At least the whole staff are woodworkers, and do use what they sell

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
10th January 2004, 12:32 AM
Sam
Most paint companys make a spar varnish. I have used several different types. I also laminate the paddles with epoxy, not a woodworking glue. I add fiberglass to the bottom 3" to protect the end as they quite often hit rocks.
In the pic two are finished, the other three are not These are laminatey with ash, walnut & cherry
http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/canpad.jpg

sam63
12th January 2004, 03:16 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I did ask around this weekend, and I did find spar varnishes in boat building shops. Some one suggested using Deck Oilje, which is a Norwegian product apparently. Since it is an oil, application is much easier. I am not sure if it works with laminated pedals though. Any comments?

Cheers
Sam

arose62
12th January 2004, 04:17 PM
Uhhh.... I wonder if others have been confused as I have been....

When I read "pedal", I imagined a bit of wood inside the canoe, to be pushed by the foot, probably to move a rudder at the stern.
I wondered why you'd be bothered with the finish at all.

Maybe now this thread is about "paddles", you'll get more feedback and info.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dusty
12th January 2004, 05:52 PM
I'm with arose 62.

A pedal for a canoe?? I was at a loss.

Harry II
12th January 2004, 08:39 PM
yabbadabbadoo its the flintstones

sorry

sam63
13th January 2004, 10:34 AM
Sorry for the confusion everyone. I did send the same e-mail under the finishing laminated pedal in finishing section and I did not get any reply. That is why I decided not to put the same title. I did not know the word pedal would be so confusing. In fact my main question was how to finish a laminated piece of wood, regardless of what you call it, which stays in the salt water during its usage.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers
Sam

seriph1
14th January 2004, 08:06 AM
Again, a nice illustration of where adding our details into the profile page including where person is from, can be a real help

:)

.002c

I was thinking it was one of those little square-ish boats you choof around a man made lake in, with the kids (ok, so I may have gone by myself once or twice too) using your feet to pedal......in order to operate the ..... dare I say it ...... paddles