PDA

View Full Version : Post For Allan from Wallen

wheelinround
10th March 2008, 09:46 AM
A first class collection of 190 postboxes and they're a kept in the back garden

Last updated at 15:56pm on 9th March 2008
For most people their gardens are devoted to flowers and plants, but eccentric Arthur Reeder keeps his collection of 190 postboxes in his.
Mr Reeder, 52, has spent 18 years amassing his massive collection of mailbox memorabilia and now stores them all at his home.
The electrician is still carrying on collecting despite laying his hands on a box dubbed the "holy grail" of postboxes - the Penfold.
Scroll down for more ...
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/reederSN0903_468x319.jpgArthur Reeder keeps his impressive collection of postboxes in his garden in the Isle of Wight

The ornate cast-iron box, designed by John Penfold and installed in the UK between 1866 and 1879, is widely regarded by enthusiasts as the most attractive British letter box ever designed.
Father-of-three, Mr Reeder, became captivated by postboxes in 1990 while out taking photographs of his first love - telephone boxes, in Rhyl, North Wales.
He spotted a broken wooden postbox lying in a skip outside the town's train station and bought it for just 20 pounds.
Since then his collection has grown and is now regarded as the country's biggest private collection of post boxes.
It includes 14 post boxes from Ireland and examples from Russia, France, America, Poland and even Hong Kong.
The oldest wall box in his collection dates back to 1856 and the oldest pillar box was first used in 1861.
His most modern model is a brand new pillar box built by Scottish firm Machan Engineering in 2007.
His collection is kept at his home in Newport, Isle of Wight, where some sit in the garden, some in a large shed along with old post bikes and uniforms - and there are even two indoors.
He said: "I have always loved old street furniture. I hate to see things being slung away just because they are old or worn out.
Scroll down for more ...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/reederSN0903_468x311.jpgWith a total of 190 mailboxes, Mr Reeder has to keep some of his collection in a special shed at home

"I used to really like old phone boxes and would travel around to take photos of them.
"It was only then that I realised that the old postboxes you often got next to them were all different so I decided to start photographing them instead.
"The thing that is fascinating about postboxes is that they are everywhere, they are all different shapes and sizes and have different crowns on them.
"And I love the history of them too. They are as British as black taxis or red London buses and they are an important part of our heritage.
"I don't think the British Empire would have existed in the same way if it wasn't for the post office.
"It is getting to the point where there are actually not that many more for me to collect but I just collect the ones that I like.
"I have been called eccentric, mad-cap, crazy, the lot, but I don't care what other people think about my hobby.
Arthur admits it took him a while to tell wife Kim, whom he married four-and-a-half years ago, about his collection.