PDA

View Full Version : Claret Ash Bowl wip

wheelinround
10th March 2008, 06:33 PM
This was started in another thread
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=694476&postcount=7
rather than hikack rgums thread even more.

The Claret Ash was given to me by some top blokes Ornimental Turners :2tsup:

My first reaction :D next :doh: when I saw the lump missing would the little Jet Mini handle it, would I stuff it right up.:C So it sat on the back of the bench for a few weeks till I got tired of moving it round. :roll: Trying to decide what to do with such nice piece.

Thanks to those for the advice re the bark section super glue did the trick :2tsup: held firm even filled the small bit that flew and left a hole. Had to use some also on the :~ little knot that appeared as I got down close to the bottom it does not go right through.

Unlike one of the other fellows who found a 3" bolt in the middle of his bit spat his gouge clear cross the room :oo::o.

I say its a WIP as I feel its not quite finished its missing something :rolleyes: its 200mm dia x 80mm h

well here's the photos

mick61
10th March 2008, 09:24 PM
G`day claret ash is lovely to turn. You say it`s not finished I agree are you going to turn the bottom to bowl shape or is it the shape you wanted?
Mick:D

Jarrahrules
10th March 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi, Heh it needs the bottom turned to match the curve of the inside otherwise it will always look unfinished.:U
Otherwise it looks like a nice job:2tsup:

artme
11th March 2008, 08:22 AM
Agree with Jarrahrules. Might also take more out of the inside.

wheelinround
11th March 2008, 09:56 AM
Mick - Jarrah & Artme

Thanks for the input it was my intention to turn the bottom more rounded

But this would as shown in the photo's blow destroy the natural bark look by 2/3rd's

The depth I can go another 5 to 8mm but I have to consider that the inner section supporting the outer sap wood is already starting to show through at the bark/sap wood side.
I would possibly loos the knot which doesn't worry me to much at the bottom of the bowl but if Crisps were put in it people may think it one more and try get it out. :D

I have purposely left the tenon and marked the chuck on it so I can ponder my plight.:?:roll:

Ty again

BernieP
11th March 2008, 01:08 PM
G'Day Wheelinround

Great looking bowl except now time to think outside the norm, perhaps some ideas here http://www.manytracks.com/Art/Bowls/LgImgPages/bowl-oakie.htm have a good look around some great ideas, I know they are carved but I'm sure could be adapted.

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
11th March 2008, 01:31 PM
Bernie thanks for the comment and link :2tsup:

rsser
11th March 2008, 08:47 PM
Wheelin, nice bit of turning.

FWIW, if I want a bit of bark/natural edge showing I place it at the rim. Seems to look better than at the bottom.

tea lady
11th March 2008, 09:15 PM
Nice piece of wood, but I'm not convinced by the bark inclusion. Not nice enough to keep, although you seem attached to it. Often if I am stuck on a design if I take out what I thought was the best bit it allows the rest to work better. Although I'm only chucking out ideas that are easily reinstated. Cut off bits of wood remain cut off. Just go for a good form I think. And the tricky chip inside. I like that.:D

wheelinround
15th March 2008, 02:20 PM
Done took out a further 10mm kept the bark
Finished with Macadamia Nut Oil

Thanks to all for comments and tips

PS. Tea Lady I lost the false chip

munruben
15th March 2008, 03:15 PM
Nice work Ray, man of many talents :2tsup:

tea lady
15th March 2008, 11:49 PM
PS. Tea Lady I lost the false chip