PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Wood Brisbane North Side

beiffe
10th March 2008, 07:15 PM
Hi Guys I am preparing to leave Brisbane and have lots of wood that I have been saving and protecting for many years. I had offered to the local club but have had no responces so would now likle to offer to anyone who is prepared to come and remove before the end of next weekend.

There is many variaties of wood, red gum, silky oak, black wattle, Ossage orange, Red cedar, etc etc.

I am not looking to make heaps of money and I dont want to throw it out the dump either.

If you are interested let me know and I can organise a time. Would prefer to go in a few lots and take all not pick the best and leave the rest. There is peices of all sizes and quality. Some as large as 400 wide by metre long ans some already cut to spin but never seen the lathe.

Also I have some tools to sell if there is any interest. Technatool 3000 with extended bed and bowl rest etc as well as a cheapy which I used to sharpen my tools. Also Thickness, drill press, router / saw table etc but these I would prefer to hold for about one more month but if interested let me know.
Regards Brian

dai sensei
10th March 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Brian, are you moving or something, shame to give it all up. Edit - helps if I read the first line :doh:

Not that I need any wood, but I am after some Ossage orange. What size is it and what sort of price are you after?

Some photos of your loot would help.

Cheers

blackhole
10th March 2008, 08:14 PM
What brand of thicknesser? how much?

And I can wait a month.

beiffe
10th March 2008, 08:24 PM
Thicknesser is a DELTA 12 1/2 had very little use and has a spare set of blades was hoping for $400 or better at garage sale but on here $400 would be OK.

beiffe
10th March 2008, 08:34 PM
dai sensei
The ossage orange is mixed with all now. There was several thiner peices about 3" by about 2 foot long and there is some short lengths but thicker that has been turned round but left as a billet. Too hard to find as the local club were going to come and take so put all in a heap and they have not come so need to get rid of it all. There would be perhaps two trailer loads and some pieces are quite large. Some have astar cracks as I think the shed got too hot but still would get reasonable bowls etc from them or even longer thiner but easy get 3 or 4 inch rounds to larger from most. Some wood is very dark in colour while some such as lepard gum etc is very plain. The black wattle has some quite large pieces perhaps 12 - 14 inches in diam and 3 feet long. heavy to lift I can tell you. A photo would not show much as there is a lot of pieces and many shapes sizes etc. I was hoping for a group to come and take in a few lots and perhaps leave a donation for a few tanks of deisel etc as I am hitting the orad to travel and will be collecting wood on the road and turning with a miniture lathe where I camp ( I hope this is what will happen) thats why I am selling the lathes and mosst of my large tools. Cant take band saws thicknessers and router tables etc in a motor home ( I wish)

blackhole
10th March 2008, 08:37 PM
I sent you a PM about the thicknesser.

rogerch
10th March 2008, 09:05 PM
Hi there,

What sort of table saw do you have?

Roger

beiffe
10th March 2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Roger the router /saw table is a torquarta. At the present it is set up as a router table but I also have the saw plate and blade guard etc. I have setup for dust extraction from a vacuum cleaner using a reduction to 2" but has a 4" chute as standard.

funkychicken
10th March 2008, 10:45 PM
Now why did i have to see this thread:roll:

I'll be in brisbane soon, Are you anywhere near the airport?

I'd like to grab that lathe....but can't:doh:

derekh
11th March 2008, 08:19 AM
FC

You know I come out your way quite a bit so if you need something brought out (timber, lathe, etc) then arrange it and PM me the pickup details. I haven't forgotten about the bull-oak for this weekend.

Derek

beiffe
11th March 2008, 02:50 PM
HI FC Not far from Airport if you have a car. Perhaps 15 to 20 minutes just off the freeway heading North suburb is Strathpine which is near Warner. Which lathe are you interested in the Nova 3000 or the cheapy. Has a full stand and I have built in a exhaust fan and then a airconditioner exhaust in the stand to extract much of the dust as well as an extractor. The lathe sits in its own cabinet so you can have starage space overhead as well as place for tools etc on shelf with extra power points and dust extractor point. Will try and post a photo. never done before so see what happens.

funkychicken
11th March 2008, 10:12 PM
Am I under the understanding that you don't have a mini lathe yet?

Hmm... My Jet 1220 (midi) for your nova 3000... Not a fair deal I know but maybe I could chuck in some extras

A Tip: Take as many precut blanks with you on your journey. Roughing down big square stuff is a pain below the chin

Wood Butcher
11th March 2008, 10:41 PM
Brian,

What is the other cheapy lathe and also what do you want for each of them??

beiffe
12th March 2008, 08:00 AM
Am I under the understanding that you don't have a mini lathe yet?

Hmm... My Jet 1220 (midi) for your nova 3000... Not a fair deal I know but maybe I could chuck in some extras

A Tip: Take as many precut blanks with you on your journey. Roughing down big square stuff is a pain below the chin

Hi Funkychicken we could talk on this as if it is the 3/4 HP motor with the high swing and in good nick I would be interested in part payment but not a swap. Not many tools I have not got so not sure what extras you are thinking off. Have a good bowl chuck with all the face plates as well as too many chisels (but I am keeping them anyway) as well as just about two of every power tool as well, but open to suggestions. On taking the blanks mate I am trying to keep weight down as I have to take all the FAMILY stuff to SA first. Have a petrol and electric chain saw and they can soon get me some blanks when I need them. Lots of wood on the side of the road that MAY ask to come on a little trip. Bigger problem getting rid of the ornamental firewood after turning but hope other travellers and markets will help there, future will tell.
Have literally tonnes of wood here to get rid of so SHMBO would not like the suggestion of "taking some of the wood with us"

Cheers Brian

beiffe
12th March 2008, 08:20 AM
Brian,

What is the other cheapy lathe and also what do you want for each of them??

Hi Wood Butcher the Cheapy is just a cheap model found at Carbatec or similar (entry level) has a bowl chuck included and a cudboard surround to give storage and somewhere to hang a light and hold some tools and polishes etc Would like to sell as one $200 would be fine as only used for sharpening tools by using a chisel grinding jig and for polishing finished work as I used the Nova 3000 for the main work. If you have no tools I can chuck in a cheap set of chisels but suggest you get GOOD chisels as the investment is worth it and you will be saver and more satisfied with your work (just a suggestion). The Nova has lots of extras as well as built in dust extraction and a surround cudboard and was hoping for $1800. Has two bed extensions as well as the bowl tool rest for outboard turning etc. The stand is very solid steel, I have turned some BIG bowls etc and it has been rock steady sitting on a concrete floor. Am open to suggestions and offers on price on all the tools as I want to sell and prefer to go to someone who will use and appreciate them as they have been friends for a while and have given me lots of pleasure.

robyn2839
12th March 2008, 12:28 PM
i will be back from tassie on wednesday . could you pm your phone number and i will ring when i get back , i am abouts half hour away. bob

beiffe
12th March 2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Guys the woods all gone. One of the guys came to day and took the lot. Happy Little chappy should need any wood for a looong time. Was on one query so needed it gone so if you were thinking you are too late. Will post some tools later as most have to go as I cant take them with me (not happy but thats the way it goes).
Regards Brian

Wood Butcher
12th March 2008, 08:11 PM
Any chance of a pics of the cheapy lathe??

funkychicken
12th March 2008, 10:07 PM
Any chance of a pics of the cheapy lathe??

I reckon it'll be a MC-900

I want that Nova! (Who wouldn't:roll:)

Check yer PMs Brian

funkychicken
16th March 2008, 07:34 PM
Where is this guy??

beiffe
17th March 2008, 09:35 AM
Hi FunckyChicken
Sorry had no internet since late last week. As far as I can find out it is similar to the MC900. Has "Woodlathe 900mm" on head and model 190-93-00900.
As I am preparing the house for sale and getting ready for garage sale to sell everything I have been very busy.
I have attached a photo but would assume that it is of no use to you as it would be a big step back from your exisiting lathe. It does have a bowl chuck and has had very little use as it was used to see if I wanted to turn and then I bought the Nova. For the last 5 years I have used this to sharpen my tools only by using a disk in the chuck and a chisel guide and found it better than purchasing a grinder etc as the slow speed ensure no tool burn etc.
The lathe goes comlete as I need to seel the tools so I can sell the house and dont need parts left as they then have to be thrown out. Thats why I gave one person the option when he bought my timber to take the lot so it was gone. I would like $250 complete as some of the guys who have bought other stuff consider it worth at least $300 considering its state and the chuck etc.
Regards Brian

funkychicken
17th March 2008, 08:59 PM
That's definetely a MC900

And about the nova.. Check you PMs.. I want it!

MALPT
18th March 2008, 11:33 PM
As far as I can find out it is similar to the MC900. Has "Woodlathe 900mm" on head and model 190-93-00900.

It does have a bowl chuck and has had very little use as it was used to see if I wanted to turn and then I bought the Nova. For the last 5 years I have used this to sharpen my tools only by using a disk in the chuck and a chisel guide and found it better than purchasing a grinder etc as the slow speed ensure no tool burn etc.

The lathe goes comlete as I need to seel the tools so I can sell the house and dont need parts left as they then have to be thrown out. ...... I would like $250 complete as some of the guys who have bought other stuff consider it worth at least $300 considering its state and the chuck etc.

Regards Brian

Brian

Forgive me if this sounds stupid but would this be suitable for a novice as their first lathe?

TTIT
18th March 2008, 11:57 PM
Brian

Forgive me if this sounds stupid but would this be suitable for a novice as their first lathe?Not stupid at all mate! I think most on this forum including myself started out on MC900's - and many still have them. Good enough to get you hooked, that's for sure :;:U

MALPT
19th March 2008, 07:07 PM
Ty TTIT

beiffe
20th March 2008, 05:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the lathe. it also has a full cudboard around for storage and to protect the walls if you want it. The chuck enables you to secure your pieces easier and gives more latitude in what you can do. There is a face plate here as well but as yet have not found it. Have a cheap set of tools I have put in the garage sale for the weekend ofter easter you can have with the lathe if you want them. By next weekend I should have all the tools ready for sale. Not enjoying selling all my toys but have no choice as there is a limit of space and weight in my trailer to take back to SA and then take onto the road. Thats why I want to sell all then buy a mini in SA after unloading. Anyone in Brisbane, there will be lots of tools from Screw drivers to the lathes, Band saws, router table some power tools, books etc. Have given much away as prefer them to be used then thrown into the tip. Had some home made jigs etc for segementing. If you are interested and collect I am prepared to show you some of my techniques etc as well as how I use the lathe to sharpen my tools etc.
Brian

MALPT
21st March 2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks Brian

Would be happy to call round over weekend at yr convenience and we can have a look see ... PM me if that suits or what arrangements you'd prefer

Babylon5
21st March 2008, 12:35 AM
Please check your PM as I'm interested in buying the MC900.

Cheers,
Shane.

beiffe
21st March 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks Brian

Would be happy to call round over weekend at yr convenience and we can have a look see ... PM me if that suits or what arrangements you'd prefer
Hi I will be around all weekend so feel free to come around. Address is 125 Spitfire Av Strathpine and the mobile number is 0433054551
or 0433756225 sorry no landline as use VOIP and the internet is not on 24/7 as now using wireless ready for travels.
I have lots of stuff out ready for garage sale next weekend so you are free to look around as well if you like. early bird specials LOL.
Regards Brian

beiffe
21st March 2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks Guys the MC900 has gone to a new home.
Regards Brian

MALPT
21st March 2008, 04:31 PM
As long as it's a happy home that'll take care of it that's all that counts.

When is the Garage sale - Sat or Sun - I'll try to pop round and have a sticky

beiffe
22nd March 2008, 08:37 AM
As long as it's a happy home that'll take care of it that's all that counts.

When is the Garage sale - Sat or Sun - I'll try to pop round and have a sticky Garage Sale both days next weekend but if you want to call this weekend if it is OK. will be available most of the weekend except this afternoon as I have family visitors. Ring on 0433054551 to ensure I am home.
Regards Brian

Mo_QLD
27th March 2008, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a good way to spend your days.

How much for the Drill Press?

beiffe
27th March 2008, 10:59 AM
Open to suggestions as all have to go. Has a floor pedestal as well as I have the bench post here as well. Is the large style of drill press with 16 speed and a 3/4 HP motor. As well as the tools I am selling heaps of screws, bolts and fittings such as hinges, catches etc. I have been saving for years but now they all have to go as I cant take them with me. Also some hand tools such as old wood planes, as well as all our household stuff so hope we gety someone to come for the weekend. Will consider any reasonable offers on the tolls. better to come and have a look if possible and make a decission.

Mo_QLD
27th March 2008, 11:13 AM
What time does the garage sale start on Sat?

beiffe
27th March 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Mo_QLD both days any time after 7:00 will be OK as here every one has to be up early so by 7:00 breaky etc be done. If you have far to come can always put a coffee on though as it is hard to think before the coffe works.
regards brian

beiffe
27th March 2008, 11:55 AM
There will be two band saws for sale one a standard 14" the other a meat saw with a large cut about 14"' hieght. A router table with an additional saw bed, nova 3000 lathe with two extension beds and extra bowl rest, 1 hP dust extractor, welder, cut off saw, lots of cudboards /storage, bar fridge and bar freezer as well as another fridge, lots of household gear and the normal garage sale stuff. The screws, fittings etc should interest some. I need to get rid of it all so will accept reasonable offers but not silly offers.
Regards Brian

MALPT
28th March 2008, 04:12 PM
Sounds good Brian - will try to get there tomorrow.