PDA

View Full Version : colored sandpaper

schaf
10th March 2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, does anyone have a opinion on the quality of the new colored sandpaper that is now being sold around the traps.

I have tried a couple of cloth backed papers which were only fit for the bin, do not want to fall into the same hole again.

Terry

Brown Dog
10th March 2008, 09:41 PM
G'day Terry

I recently bought a fair bit of that coloured sand paper (I got mine from Box makers Brassware). To me it seems to be quite good quality. I would have to say its the best stuff I have ever used... but in saying that I usaully by the crap that they sell at bunnings :rolleyes:.

Besides turning I also use it in my drum sander and I havent had to change the paper since I put in the first strip....so it lasts a fair while.

cheers
BD:)

scooter
10th March 2008, 10:08 PM
Jim Carroll at cws has this stuff as well as hermes stuff, from memory he rates the hermes a little better.

Richard Raffan did a mini review in AWR a little while ago & was pleased with how well it lasted.

Cheers..................Sean

funkychicken
10th March 2008, 10:24 PM
It looks good...

I use stuff from DTT Bolts. cheap but good, got a few rolls of different grits... Good Stuff:2tsup:

littlebuddha
10th March 2008, 11:37 PM
I have bought alsorts of paper over the time, some just fit for the bin. I was at a show a few years back and got myself a passive ball sander and in the back was this soft backing for velcro type fasening, any way the sanding media was great the best stuff i ever used. It also last for hell of a long time, you can use it wet or dry and the grit keeps going, if you can get it over there then buy some, it is a bit more expencive but in the long run you will save and it sands better than anything i have come across.

Hegner is the brand name
if you are in the UK then you can get it from this guy, and he is genuine bloke.
http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk/abrasives.htm
grit sizes;120,180,240,320,400,600,800,1200.
150mm wide rolls LB..:2tsup:

docusk
11th March 2008, 03:01 AM
We had John Berkely as a demonstrator at the Club last year and he was gret. I bought a set of the abrasives he sells and they really are good and resonable price. Another thing is to go to his site and take a gander at his work, Wow!!! is all I can say. Get practising doc.

docusk