PDA

View Full Version : She's Finally Had a Litter!!!!!

watson
12th March 2008, 03:45 PM
After a Year of living with us on our window, she's finally had a litter!

madrat
12th March 2008, 03:53 PM
Congratulations!! How many did she have and is Mother and babies doing well?

Vernonv
12th March 2008, 04:20 PM
Don't worry ... nothing a couple of squirts of Mortien won't fix:D.

madrat
12th March 2008, 04:25 PM
Don't worry ... nothing a couple of squirts of Mortien won't fix:D.

Ohhhhh, that's not nice. :(

Always good to hear stories of being able to live in harmony with those of the animal/bug/insect/arachnad kind.

She just may have well done Watson a favour throughout summer, by keeping the fly numbers down. :U

Incoming!
12th March 2008, 04:47 PM
If you're looking for kindly foster parents to give the babies a good home - count me out.

Vernonv
12th March 2008, 05:09 PM
Ohhhhh, that's not nice. :(

Yes, you're absolutely right. It's not appropriate to be spraying poisons around willy nilly. Just use a rolled up newspaper and squash it ... and don't forget to recycle the newspaper when you are finished.:D

madrat
12th March 2008, 05:21 PM
Yes, you're absolutely right. It's not appropriate to be spraying poisons around willy nilly. Just use a rolled up newspaper and squash it ... and don't forget to recycle the newspaper when you are finished.:D

You know, if you're not careful, all arachnad's will hear you and come back for revenge...it happens.......:C

Vernonv
12th March 2008, 05:34 PM
It's already happened. We seem to have been invaded by spiders over the last couple of weeks (mainly huntsman spiders).

Even while driving the other day, I was at a stop sign and a rather large huntsman crawled out from under the bonnet, walked across the windscreen and hid in the drivers door cavity.

I was rather nervous as I opened the door at the end of the journey.

madrat
12th March 2008, 05:46 PM
It's already happened. We seem to have been invaded by spiders over the last couple of weeks (mainly huntsman spiders).

Even while driving the other day, I was at a stop sign and a rather large huntsman crawled out from under the bonnet, walked across the windscreen and hid in the drivers door cavity.

I was rather nervous as I opened the door at the end of the journey.

OOOOOKaaaayyyy, when I said it's nice to be able to live in harmony with those of the animal/bug/insect/arachnad kind, it's nicer when they are at a little more of a distance than that!!!

I admit, I would be nervous too.:oo:

Ian Smith
12th March 2008, 05:54 PM
I have mild arachnophobia and for me it's size that counts, so I am less comfortable with large, and I'll admit relatively harmless, Huntsman etc. but seriously Watson..thats a bloody Red-Back!!! :oo:
You don't want those things in yer wood pile!!

Ian

watson
12th March 2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the Fantastic Replies!!!
I've got used to this mother over the year. I know where she is.and hopefully she recognises me too. Fat Chance!
Arachnaphobia is my birthright, but familiarity breeds indifference.
I was listening to Doctor Karl on the ABC one day and he quoted that within a hectare of land there is an average of 11,000,000 spiders. Gasp. I live on 7 Hectares of land so that makes 77 mega spiders.
But....this "mother" rolls that egg sack all across the window each day, probably seeking the ideal temperature or whatever. Caring thingo that she is.
I've been bitten once...not by her......and it did make my eyes spin..but I'm looking up 10,000 names for each of the babies........:U

Big Shed
12th March 2008, 07:49 PM
Hey Noel, that looks like a South Australian cricketer!

We never kill spiders around here, if we find one inside it gets relocated to the rest of the 25 acres, live and let live I say.:2tsup:

madrat
12th March 2008, 08:18 PM
Hey Noel, that looks like a South Australian cricketer!

We never kill spiders around here, if we find one inside it gets relocated to the rest of the 25 acres, live and let live I say.:2tsup:

And that's the way it should be. Good on ya Watson and Big Shed. Glad to hear it.

I also relocate the critters. Just last night a little 8 legged fella ran across the lounge floor while i was watching tv and it took me 45mins to find him and re-house him outside. Glad hubby wasn't home at the time. He already thinks I have lost the plot in so many other ways.:;

watson
12th March 2008, 08:34 PM
Madrat & Bigshed , Ian & all.
I've never seen the results of an egg sac, so stand-by for updates

echnidna
12th March 2008, 08:35 PM
if its a dangerous critter too near people I eliminate the critter.

some things are so territorial they will return to their "home"

abitfishy
13th March 2008, 11:03 AM
Agreed, I'm a murderer, if I come across an 8 legged creature it soon wears a size 11.