PDA

View Full Version : Air gun recommendations pls

pomp
12th March 2008, 08:35 PM
Im looking for an air nail gun that will work for framing/studwork and will also do decking, any recommendations?

echnidna
12th March 2008, 08:58 PM
you need 2 different guns for those applications

pomp
13th March 2008, 10:31 AM
Thats what I figured,
I was looking at buying the Paslode F400, its reasonably priced at around $550. It says in its blurb that its can be used for framing and decking.
Do I really need a coil nailer for decking, the ones that fire stainless nails?
I already have a finishing nailer and a concrete nailer, i didnt really want to but another 2 guns.

journeyman Mick
13th March 2008, 12:35 PM
...............Do I really need a coil nailer for decking, the ones that fire stainless nails?..............

How many decks/square metres of decking are you planning on building? Unles you do it for a living you'd just hand nail a deck. You won't recover the cost of the coil nailer in saved time on a single deck.

Mick

Stuart
13th March 2008, 01:08 PM
I know it sounds a bit strange, but I've been quite happy with my 2 GMC nail guns (alright, turn up your nose if you must, but I've shot a few hundred nails through the framing nailer already and a lot more through the brad nailer, all without issue) That's been sufficient for my purposes to date.

Master Splinter
13th March 2008, 05:20 PM
My el-cheapo ($199) GMC framing gun has been doing ok, too, if I didn't already have a Bostich coil nailer, based on it's performance I'd be happy to give the GMC coil gun a run for its money ($250-ish from memory).

You could just hire a coil gun for the day.

pomp
13th March 2008, 06:38 PM
How many decks/square metres of decking are you planning on building? Unles you do it for a living you'd just hand nail a deck. You won't recover the cost of the coil nailer in saved time on a single deck.

Mick

I've got a couple of jobs coming up and also I want to do some decking at my own place.
I dont really chase that type of work but if I invest in a nailer I certainly will.
I have done some more research today, my local tool guru reckons the Paslode impulse gas gun (framer) will do both as it has some kind of adapter which allows you to nail into decking without smashing into the timber.
But the only decking nails you can use are just galvanised, it doesn't take stainless steel nails. Coastal conditions apply here in WA which means I have to use stainless. I could always use screws I suppose but thats very time consuming.

wood duck 2
13th March 2008, 08:01 PM
MAX brand nail guns make a construction coil nailer the C890S which takes wire collated coil nails from 45-90mm that will do both framing and decking.
They are more expensive than most nail guns but are considered one of THE top brands and are manufactured in JAPAN.Their high pressure POWERLITE nailing system is the DUCKSNUTS.The advantage of coil nailers is that your not constantly reloading and they will fit into smaller spaces.for more info go to www.alcav.com.au (http://www.alcav.com.au)

Gags_17
15th March 2008, 05:53 PM
hey mate
i wouldnt recomend buying the paslode gas guns they are terrible we use them at work but they are so unreliable the framers have a plastic construction and parts beak very easily! ours spend more time in the shop being repaired then out on sight theres all so a pain because you allways need to have a battery charged and you need to buy gas everytime you by nails! which are all negative to the gun! the only good point to these guns in that you dont need to lug a hose around! which is very handy when your on a roof, we allso use the makita framing guns they are very good dont really have many problems unless there being mistreated and these guns shot thousands of nails a week, we have hitatchi and a makita and a gmc coild guns at work the gmc worked fanastic on just wood no problems at all but havent tried it on speed brace yet! the hitachi and makita are on par have used them on the speed brace and the makita has a slight andvantage because it has teeth on the piece that contacts the steel brace or wood, hope it makes sense and hope it can be of help!

autogenous
15th March 2008, 08:41 PM
Coastal conditions apply here in WA which means I have to use stainless. Are you within 1 kilometre of rolling surf?

The last deck I did we drilled and nailed the Jarrah deck by hand with galv nails. Unless you are in the business of decking, nailing the deck boards should only take 2 days. You get a better job too.

China
15th March 2008, 09:36 PM
pomp, I second the Max brand guns, mine has attended the funerals of many
other brands

pomp
16th March 2008, 12:27 PM
Are you within 1 kilometre of rolling surf?

The last deck I did we drilled and nailed the Jarrah deck by hand with galv nails. Unless you are in the business of decking, nailing the deck boards should only take 2 days. You get a better job too.

I'll have to do a bit more research on that as I was told within 5km of the coastline stainless fixings had to be used (mind you that does sound a bit extreme)

If you fitted a Jarrah deck I bet that was a nightmare, I doubt a nailgun would produce a decent finish on Jarrah that stuff is like concrete.
Plus a good few splinters no doubt!

pomp
16th March 2008, 12:33 PM
i wouldnt recomend buying the paslode gas guns they are terrible

Agreed, my impulse finishing nailer lasted 14 days from new until it was back to the shop.
Terrible service from Paslode too, they refused a refund or a replacement, insisted on repair. After the third repair in under 3 months the Paslode gun now sits on a shelf in the garage....A great big orange piece of s**t.

I bought the Dewalt 18v finishing gun, no problems, apart from Australia not stocking 32mm nails