PDA

View Full Version : New Swing Saw

Chooks74
13th March 2008, 02:14 PM
Hey

I am looking at getting a swing saw (mainly due to hard wood diet) and was wondering what people's opinions were on Lucas and Peterson? are there any pros and cons to these machines? How much do the machines generally retail for and is there a good place to look for 2nd handies?

PS does anybody have one that I could look at in Brisbane/ipy or the gold/sun coasts?

Cheers your opinions are valued..

Exador
13th March 2008, 03:29 PM
I've got a Lucas, mate. You're welcome to come and have a look at it and a bit of a play. Just give me a yell first.

dai sensei
13th March 2008, 06:28 PM
Bris WWW show not far away either, where both usually put on demos.

weisyboy
13th March 2008, 07:25 PM
chooks i have recently aquired the pamflets dvds and pricelist from lucaspeterson and ecosaw as i am planing on buying one. (or at least tinking about it) i need to raie the money first:C.

to give you an idea

the lucas
smallest, 6-13 is $9500.00 6" cut 13hp honda, length 4.5m , diamiter 1.35m
bigest, 8-30 is 16000.00 8" cut 30hp kohler, length 6.1m, diameter 1.35m

peterson, skill-mill is $4900.00 4" cut 3hp electric motor, length 4m, diamater 800mm

i cant find the peterson price list at the moment (i have all the other info) and eco saw is sending my theres now.

i ahev all the info if you want to coma and get it.

if you find where i can find one second hand please let me know.

Chooks74
14th March 2008, 01:00 PM
Weisy I have only found one site but it is OS. Anybody else?

http://www.dmoz.org/Business/Agriculture_and_Forestry/Forestry/Production_Equipment/Sawmills/

Peterson's entry 6" mill is about 12000 delivered from NZ.

Chooks74
14th March 2008, 01:04 PM
I've got a Lucas, mate. You're welcome to come and have a look at it and a bit of a play. Just give me a yell first.

Excellent, where abouts are you Exador? Would love to have a look.

Chooks74
14th March 2008, 01:06 PM
Bris WWW show not far away either, where both usually put on demos.

Aparently Peterson are ging to Malany as well, so i might head up there too and see what is on offer.:rolleyes:

weisyboy
14th March 2008, 01:06 PM
gday

www.petersonsawmills.com (http://www.petersonsawmills.com)
www.lucasmill.com (http://www.lucasmill.com)
www.ecosaw.com (http://www.ecosaw.com)
www.skillmill.com (http://www.skillmill.com)

i am planing on going to the malaney show to see the eco saw boys. might see you there

Chooks74
14th March 2008, 01:12 PM
Excellent, thanks Weisy.

But if anyone knows of someone selling a swing mill then I may be interested in buying it. I might post something over in the sales section though.

weisyboy
14th March 2008, 01:17 PM
i already did.

nout a week ago

Exador
14th March 2008, 03:33 PM
Excellent, where abouts are you Exador? Would love to have a look.

New place is at 460 Beaudesert Rd, Salisbury. Make sure you call first, because we'll be out and about for most of the next month or so, trying to make some money after our recent move. We'll also be milling at various times at Wishart.

Chooks74
14th March 2008, 04:25 PM
OK thanks Exador, will give you a call.

bobsreturn2003
15th March 2008, 12:52 PM
i had a 6in lucas mill with slabber, for several years and loved it . sad to part with it .got my buy price when i sold it .would possibly buy a petersen next time with their high ,low tracks ,easy log loading . if you can find a second hand one grab it . motors and gearboxes are very durable .and if the blades are serviced by some one who knows what they are doing . will turn your log to planks really quickly .used to send my blades to ace saws , . happy cutting . cheers bob

West OZ Mark
15th March 2008, 10:31 PM
I have a 8" Lucas Mill and use it constantly. Lucas has a great backup service. Never used a Peterson before so cant compare but just my thoughts on the Lucas.
You could try Lucas Mills. They dont sell second hand mills but they have alot of people upgrading all the time so they may be able to put you onto someone.:2tsup:

weisyboy
15th March 2008, 10:44 PM
i rang them and they aid to check the ipswitch country sompthing or other trading paper

Arthur Dyason
12th April 2008, 12:33 PM
gday

www.petersonsawmills.com (http://www.petersonsawmills.com)
www.lucasmill.com (http://www.lucasmill.com)
www.ecosaw.com (http://www.ecosaw.com)
www.skillmill.com (http://www.skillmill.com)

i am planing on going to the malaney show to see the eco saw boys. might see you there

dont forget your cheque book :D bend my arm at the show and I will do you a good deal.

Bring your work boots, gloves and ear defennders and you can have a play:2tsup:

Mills from $4000 to $60,000 for the all singing/dancing commercial mill (still portable).

arthur

Sigidi
12th April 2008, 02:03 PM
I looked into Peterson and Lucas extensively before I bought, although I never touched either, before buying my Lucas. ( After buying my Lucas I found out about Ecosaw and will address that later)

Price was not an issue for me, I had a compensation payout. Long term workability was an issue, as I felt I would always work by myself (or more often than not) safety was a significant issue after being involved in a pretty ugly workplace accident. Longevity of the equipment was an issue for me also, as I was looking at making a business from the sawmill.

I'll give the abridged version,
Longterm work ability for my situation(being able to continually operate on my own) - Lucas won.
Safety in my opinion - Lucas won.
Longevity of equipment based on what each company said on how to use their equipment - Lucas won.

So for me, hands down Lucas won and four years down the track, lucas still win. Just to clarify I don't work for Lucas I'm just a very happy, satisfied owner.

This brings me to Eco saw, after having my equipment for some time and operating it as a business, I encountered Arthur Dyason and Eco saw from forums. Out of interest I checked out Eco Saws website, after having milling experience and reading the information given (at the time) I have never considered them again. This information may have changed, I have never re-investigated. I have never operated an Eco Saw, but as opinions where asked for I have given mine.

Hope this helps

weisyboy
14th April 2008, 07:39 PM
author never recived that information pack you were going to send out
the phone line was a bit sketchy maby the wrong address?

Carl Weiss
40 galvin rd
upperbrookfield
qld 4069

chooks: any chance of a lift or will u have swimbo with u.

Chooks74
24th April 2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the slow reply Wesiy but I have been off line for a while. Have i missed Maleny or is it on soon, I can't remember. Give me a call and we can have a chat..

weisyboy
24th April 2008, 02:17 PM
will do keith. i thinks its on the 3 & 4th of may.

Sigidi
24th April 2008, 11:20 PM
Yep that's right Carl, saw a banner over the highway this afternoon - 3 & 4th

itsposs
17th December 2009, 06:11 PM
I ve gotta say having read a bit that the lucas mill an slabber look good but I dont like the stands the concept is great any way I rang Lucas but they wont sell head units I d rather build my own frame
I cant get a petersons rep on the phone but I am thinking the same thing would be likely any one got any idea's before I buy one and send it to china for them to build

Sigidi
19th December 2009, 06:04 PM
Itsposs, what do you mean by the 'stands' are you referring to the end frames - the bits with the winches on them to raise and lower the tracks?

If you wanted info regarding using a Lucas over time, drop me an email, as above I'm not a Lucas employee, but I am a very happy Lucas owner/operator :D

I love my Lucas!!!

rude
19th December 2009, 07:01 PM
ah sigidi,

you biased lucas lover:U, you have not even used a peterson to compare but the lucas still won, how does that work? now get back out there and cut me those step treads, oh thats right its a bit hard with your lucas isn't it :D:D:D.Hey keith,happy to give you a look at a peterson just after xmas if you wish.

Sigidi
20th December 2009, 12:04 AM
Hey Rude - great to see you on here for once :D yeah I'm biased alright - but is it really bias when there is just nothing to compare it to??? :o

oh and FYI Keith (aka Chooks) now has a LUCAS!! :D

itsposs
20th December 2009, 03:11 AM
Yeah Sigidi I like the swing head and the motor mount set up but the tracks an stuff arn't for me I dont see any reason they cant sell the cutting heads set up with out selling me the stand To use on my own stand I don't think I am being that difficult

itsposs
20th December 2009, 07:29 AM
AGM :: Landoni (http://www.fordaqmachinery.com/wood/products/ViewProduct/Landoni_AGM__627.jspa) Wonder what this will cost

charlsie
20th December 2009, 12:44 PM
well i'm thinking of trading in my 8/27 to upgrade to the 10/30 lucas iv'e had it 6 years and it hasn't missed a beat

weisyboy
20th December 2009, 09:13 PM
iv been thinking the same thing recently.

i could really do with a 10" mill and a nice new machine would be nice.

i had a play with a new 8-30 the other day and it was nice to use.

Stumpkicker
30th December 2009, 05:10 PM
Hey Charlsie and Weisboy, Have either of you been to a Lucas workshop and was it worth while? I missed out on the last one at Logan Village, and was wondering if they're worth the travell. Need some pointers on getting the pitch right with an 8/30 I've been using in PNG. Certainly notice the hp difference to my 8/27 here in Brissie. Not complaning though, still fun to work with.

weisyboy
30th December 2009, 05:41 PM
whats rong with ya saw mate.

give us a ring and im sure i can help sort ya out.

or give lucas a ring they will be more than happy to help you out.

i used an 8-30 for a wile a few weeks back nice machine and definetly better to use than my 8-25.

Stumpkicker
30th December 2009, 10:10 PM
We were having trouble with the blade rising while in the horizontal and pulling in the vertical so much that the cuts were missing by a couple of mm. Seeing the blade was brand new 1/2 a log ago and not responding to sharpening I started playing with the pitch.:C (If I'ld thought 10 sec longer I'ld realise if both horizontal and vertical were wandering it wouldn't be the pitch[as I call it] ) Put the old blade back on with one more sharpen and adjusted back to where I thought it orig was and it was cutting true again. Not real quick at learning from books and feel a hands on workshop would help me trouble shoot when were at the back of nowhere in PNG. PS Recon I must of lost the tension in the new blade when it got jammed at the end of the last log.

Sigidi
31st December 2009, 07:47 AM
Stumpkicker - another thing to look into would be your carriage brake. How long since you greased it, does it have a flat spot worn in the PVC and how well does it hold the head when applied?

Are you cutting ok now?

itsposs
21st January 2010, 09:46 PM
Sigidi followed yours an weisyboys advice and I ve gone for the 7-23 Lucas.With all fruit that goes with it. cant think of any reason to go for sleepers 200x400. It came in under $19000 Brand new ( I d been told to expect to pay $20000-$26000) an that was just for the mill with out the fruit. With the left over money I d budgeted I ll be able to build a wood drying shed an Kiln.

itsposs
21st January 2010, 09:50 PM
I wonder if they would put up a Portable Saw Millers board

Sigidi
21st January 2010, 10:38 PM
Who put up a portable sawmillers board?

Great to hear Itsposs!!! Did ya let Lucas know that Carl and I helped out convincing ya:0

Besides, who told you to pay up to $26,000??? Just goes to show, you shouldn't listen to everything ya told! That's a bit over the odds!!! A new model 10 isn't even that much!!! Don't ask me how I know:D

weisyboy
24th January 2010, 11:29 PM
anyone wanna buy a 8-25?

im due for an upgrade (or maby i just want one) and the way things are shaping up im gunna get my wish.

but first i gota sell the one iv got. id love to keep it and run 2 but i dont have the spare cash at the moment.

Sigidi
25th January 2010, 06:03 PM
Hey Charlsie and Weisboy, Have either of you been to a Lucas workshop and was it worth while? I missed out on the last one at Logan Village, and was wondering if they're worth the travell. Need some pointers on getting the pitch right with an 8/30 I've been using in PNG. Certainly notice the hp difference to my 8/27 here in Brissie. Not complaning though, still fun to work with.

Hey Stumpkicker,

if you are up the coast sometime while you are back here in Aus, drop in on me and I'd be more than happy to see if I could help with some pointers to show how/what ways to adjust the blade with the sawmarks they are making on the log.

TreasuredTimber
26th January 2010, 04:29 AM
anyone wanna buy a 8-25?

im due for an upgrade (or maby i just want one) and the way things are shaping up im gunna get my wish.

but first i gota sell the one iv got. id love to keep it and run 2 but i dont have the spare cash at the moment.

I take it you are going to up grade to a 10-30, top machines had my new one a few weeks now and had it out twice so far only because it has been stinking hot over hear in the west, big difference from my 6-18. 250mm boards a great. Have to redesign trailer a little as there is a big difference in length of power head trolley and weight, thinking of getting one of those hydraulic cranes you see on ute's and mounting on trailer.

weisyboy
26th January 2010, 06:13 PM
8-30 or 10-30 still undecided. have to get some more info before i make a decision. i also have the option on a fixed mill for removal. so big decisions to be made.

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2010, 06:23 PM
8-30 or 10-30 still undecided. have to get some more info before i make a decision. i also have the option on a fixed mill for removal. so big decisions to be made.

Why upgrade from a 8-25 to a 8-30? Is the extra 5 ponies going to make a big difference in what you can put out in a day?

Would have thought that you'd be better of to continue using the 8-25 and upgrade to a 10-30 when you can afford to.

TreasuredTimber
27th January 2010, 03:37 AM

Sounds like some one needs to get the calculator out and start crunching the numbers, take it you have a loader and enough room to set up a fixed mill.
Sorry I'm with DJ on the upgrade from the 8-25 to the 8-30.

itsposs
27th January 2010, 07:18 AM
yeah its bloody hard finding a good loader but I ve got my eye on a good Drott.Its the difference between having Eletric run on the block or not blasted power companies an goverment privitization

Sigidi
27th January 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think Carl is so bothered about the extra 5 ponies if he upgraded to an 8-30 I think it's a lot to do with how wide the carriage is. Carl mentioned to me he has a lot of urban jobs where he has to get around back through gates, so depending on carriage width he might not be able to get a 10-30 into a lot of jobs; I think that is where the indecision is from

weisyboy
27th January 2010, 08:44 PM
iv spent teh last week and a half crunching numbers.

iv got a few big tenders out on supply contracts out at teh moment that are looking like goers. also a couple of blocks of timber im looking at.

if everything works out teh way its looking like it will ill have orders for over 30m3 of sawn timber a month. plus all the other milling and sales i do.

i have 3 options.

1. sell 8-25 and buy 8-30/10-30
2. mill with 8-25 till i can aford 8-30/10-30 and keep both.
3. keep 8-25 and buy the fixed mill.

at present im looking towards option 2. but if i can get a decent price for my 8-25 then ill sell it.

no matter witch option i taek im going t have to rent a yard someware with a large area.

Exador
29th January 2010, 10:59 PM
30cube a moth is a LOT of timber with a Lucas, especially if you're cutting to grade/size.it's also about 60-80cubes of logs.

Good luck

itsposs
29th January 2010, 11:39 PM
you might want to sub contract some of that work out Weisyboy ?

weisyboy
30th January 2010, 07:34 PM
i worked out if i cant cut 10 cube in 4 days there is something wrong. thats only 4 log cube a day.

but i wont be doing it alone anyhow.

as for logs.

im looking at 2 blocks in the next week.
one is 4000 acres and the other is 2000 both heavily timbered.

iv got 2 bench saws here im gunna get going as well. :2tsup:

much better than mobile milling and full time work.

Exador
31st January 2010, 12:21 AM
4 log cubes a day is easy with good logs.

Bad luck if they ain't...

itsposs
31st January 2010, 12:31 AM
Will you be looking at replanting what you remove Weisyboy ie Hardwood Plantation

bobsreturn2003
31st January 2010, 12:16 PM
sounds like you might be on to a good thing . as long as you get paid for your work on delivery . a lot of people expect 90 days to pay , i always say the bank lends money ,im just a worker ! you might look at those removable carports that bolt together so you dont have to carry logs off site . and can work and store where you are cutting . all the best its good to have a go . but make sure its worth it $$$,as a big outlay i would guess . cheers Bob:)

weisyboy
31st January 2010, 08:51 PM
we have milled 10 cube in a day on occasion.

4 cube a day is no sweat in any logs.

if i get into this ill be setup with loader with forks to move logs and timber around.

that is the biggest factor in milling log handling timebut if you are setup properly tis an be minimized dramatically.

those movable carports are a good idea. will have to see where you get them and how mutch.

also looking at some places to rent.:2tsup:

no i wont be replanting any there is enough trees being planted as it is.