PDA

View Full Version : Substituting CAT5E/6 FOR HDMI CABLE

patty
14th March 2008, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know if I can install and run using CAT5Eor CAt6 shielded as a HDMI Source instead of using the really expensive HDMI cable which seems to be $10 a mtr I have also been searching for the HDMI rewireable plugs to terminate but cannot find them any where..the only ones i have seen are sold in lengths with the hdmi cableup to 5 mtrs with the moulded plugs on either ends!!

thx

niall .p
17th March 2008, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know if I can install and run using CAT5Eor CAt6 shielded as a HDMI Source instead of using the really expensive HDMI cable which seems to be $10 a mtr I have also been searching for the HDMI rewireable plugs to terminate but cannot find them any where..the only ones i have seen are sold in lengths with the hdmi cableup to 5 mtrs with the moulded plugs on either ends!!

thx
They don't recomend long runs with HDMI ie over 5mts uless you use the expensive cables. You may need extender/ VDA. You could talk to a company called Black Box.
They may have a alterative but I bet it wont be cheap. I had to run 100 feet cables
with boosters for our company .

patty
17th March 2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks Niall After researching this HDMI revolution through the web I am absolutley convinced it is a license to print money!!!

What I have been trying to do is obtain the tech data on the cable mainly on the conductors and their bandwidth/speed and so on to compare with other on data and transmission cables in the electrical/tronics industry!

thx again

soundman
17th March 2008, 10:25 PM
I think you are probly asking the wrong question.

The question realy should be......why do I want to run HDMI so far, or why do I want to run HDMI at all.

There are lots of things that are done in domestic AV that are either pointless or simply not the way the technology was designed.

A lot of the Domestic AV cable protocols arent suposed to go very far, lots of them are designed arround 5 metres max.
some are completely pointless like Svideo.

If you are realy concerned about qulaity high def',you need to be thinking of having your image generator ( source) close to your display.

I try and avoid domestic work because of the silliness.

Reticulating component video thruout a whole house.:no:

The same issue as HDMI.

I argue that it would be cheaper and more practical to run more image generators than spend the silly money on expensive DA's and cable.

How often do you want a number of displays in a house sincronised.....

Do you realy need hi def in every room of the house.

It is probly a better option to either reticulate RF over a matv type system or / and reticulate data over a cat 5 system.

The issue with the cat5 type adaptors is three fold.
1/ bandwidth and frequency response, cat 5e is rated to hundresd of Mhz, BUT like all transmission line cables the losses increase dramaticlay with frequency..with that loss come group delay.
The specifications are quite rigid, so these factors can be compenstaed for to soe extent but....there is no free lunch.
2/ Crosstalk, even in shileded higher order data cables the crosstalk between pairs is nothing to write home about, in audio or video terms.
3/ shileding from outside, the shileding of CAT type cables realy doen't give you much gain in rejection, only a few Db, the system as designed reliaes on the balanced circuit....the shiledning and rejection of CAT5 and above also isnt anything to write home about in aodio r video terms.

Oh BTW, is that device you are thinking about connecting to your data network labeled as being compliant :U. I have yet to see one cat5 AV adaptor that is subject of an appropriate labeling notice.

I must be remembered that the whole CAT5 and above system is designed for digital communication..and realy cheaply.......don't get me wrong CAT5 amazes me.... but there is no free lunch.

I know some guys that have high end pro CAT5 video reticulation systems in the AV industry.... they are expensive and they still have their limitations.

cheers