PDA

View Full Version : 5L Petrol tank

ykfc
14th March 2008, 10:18 PM
This is not exactly motoring question but I hope you don't mind to help.

My 5L metal can with unleaded oil was suddenly found leaking a few days ago, early in the morning. I had no chance to buy a replacement right the way. Instead, I quickly transfered the remaining oil to a PLASTIC bottle. This allows me to rush to work.

This plastic bottle is reasonably strong but it isn't one designed for storing chemical. (It was body-building nutrient storage can). The oil was originally mixed with 2 stroke oil (ready for my mower).

Question: is there any problem? Can I still use the oil for mowing? I ask because I am suddenly afraid it is possible the oil has already dissolved some plastics and putting such oil for a mower (or any combuster) may damage the machine. Thank you.

johnc
14th March 2008, 10:30 PM
The quality of two stroke for a mower has never worried me to much. If worried toss it out, but the oil should be fine, if in doubt put a bit more oil in after decanting to a new tin, it will be a bit smokier but the mower will survive the experience.

prozac
15th March 2008, 01:17 PM
Agreed, unless the plastic container has melted into the floor (in which case all of said petrol will be gone) there is no reason why the mower won't run like it is on steroids - call it Marrion.

prozac