PDA

View Full Version : a full day in the workshop

weisyboy
15th March 2008, 06:06 PM
it amasing what you can do with a full day in the workshop.:2tsup:

i havent had mutch time to play recently been flat out, working 7-6 but i decided all the household chores could wait today wile i had a good time.:B

so here it is. my hand made hand plane. this is the first plane i have ever owned let alone built and whats more it works:U

artme
15th March 2008, 06:48 PM
Got to hand it to you Carl! you are a real goer! congrats on the plane!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Wood Butcher
15th March 2008, 07:00 PM
Well go on, show us the shavings it makes!!

Brickie
15th March 2008, 07:17 PM
At least it aint horrid.....:D

Chill out dudes, Carl and I have been makin out behind the scenes......:roll:

weisyboy
15th March 2008, 07:29 PM
ok you twisted my arm.

the balde fine tuneing and a good hone but it works ok.

Pat
15th March 2008, 07:36 PM
At least it aint horrid.....:D

My condolences Carl, the mere thought of Al getting "friendly" with you is . . . urgh:q

Good looking plane. Are you going to cover the screw heads? Plugs in contrasting or similar timbers.

weisyboy
15th March 2008, 09:28 PM
i think ill leave the screws exposed i like the look and i did spend ages countersinking them to the same depth and angle:B.

i am thinking of putting handles on it thow. better controll wuda ya think:?

rhancock
15th March 2008, 09:48 PM
I am so jealous! Well done.

When I grow up I want to make tools like that too!

:D

funkychicken
15th March 2008, 10:07 PM
Good stuff Carl:2tsup:

Spotted Gum body and an Ironbark? wedge. Where'd you get the blade?

Instead of screws I'd use dowels, looks much better

Don't add handles to this one, put them on your next plane

Good work!

BobL
16th March 2008, 12:23 AM
Good work Weisy!

Sometimes, like today, I wonder where the time goes in my shed but when I think about it, I was pretty productive considering I did do the clothes washing as well!

General service (Fix V-belt slipping, lube, cleanup) and extend cutting range by 5 mm of metal cutting table saw.
Cut out blades for 19 and 25 mm chisels from M2 blanks
Weld up and paint short tool rest for WW lathe
Go buy more 19 mm brass angle
Go into city to pick up 120 year old jarrah 4 x 4 stair posts and banisters
Cut out and shape brass spine for small japanese hand saws.
Turn a couple of bits of 200 mm long pieces of square sheoak and apricot into oval on the lathe
Fit new light above lathe.
That's it!

No it's not - I also made a 90 x 120 mm adjustable engineers square using; a piece of mild steel handle, blue steel spring steel and brass fixings - been meaning to make myself one of those for some time.

Pat
16th March 2008, 04:26 AM
Good work Weisy!

Sometimes, like today, I wonder where the time goes in my shed but when I think about it, I was pretty productive considering I did do the clothes washing as well!

General service (Fix V-belt slipping, lube, cleanup) and extend cutting range by 5 mm of metal cutting table saw.
Weld up and paint short tool rest for WW lathe
Go into city to pick up 120 year old jarrah 4 x 4 stair posts and banisters
Turn a couple of bits of 200 mm long pieces of square sheoak and apricot into oval on the lathe
That's it!

No it's not - I also made a 90 x 120 mm adjustable engineers square using; a piece of mild steel handle, blue steel spring steel and brass fixings - been meaning to make myself one of those for some time.
:worthless:

Woodwayze
16th March 2008, 04:33 AM
I agree NO 'andles.

Make the plane like the back of a wooden 'clog' (shoe) and carve some random cuts with a gouge. (A scribing gouge will do.) Makes for a nice feel and you get low down on the work. You might never want a handle on a plane again! :2tsup:

John

Woodwayze
16th March 2008, 04:37 AM
Good stuff Carl:2tsup:

Where'd you get the blade?

I used to buy old mass-produced wooden planes from junk sales. Usually the blades are in good order. Anyone want a few split or warped, beech bodies?
:)...

John

BobL
16th March 2008, 11:35 AM
OK Pat asked for it

RE: General service (Fix V-belt slipping, lube, cleanup) and extend cutting range by 5 mm of metal cutting table saw.
I think you guys have seen enough pics of this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=474473&postcount=4).

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=69313&stc=1&d=1205627125

Weld up and paint short tool rest for WW lathe (it the short one on the right)
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=69314&stc=1&d=1205627125

Go into city to pick up 120 year old jarrah 4 x 4 stair posts and banisters.
The posts are 6 x 6. I only scored 1 post 3 went to the mate who out me onto this. There's more of this to pick up in the next few weeks.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=69315&stc=1&d=1205627125

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=69316&stc=1&d=1205627125

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=69317&stc=1&d=1205627125

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=69318&stc=1&d=1205627125

wheelinround
16th March 2008, 02:07 PM
Ok now BobL is 1/2 our age or is on steriods

Oh those days when I could do so much and more:doh:

all very nice work Bob think you need a reflective shield for the globe

BobL
16th March 2008, 04:48 PM
Ok now BobL is 1/2 our age or is on steriods

Oh those days when I could do so much and more:doh:

all very nice work Bob think you need a reflective shield for the globe

No - I'm a bit older than you - no steroids - just a bad week at work.

I do have to say that yesterday was exceptional for me. Just about everything seemed to work! Usually its three steps forward, two back, two sidewards and then round and round a bit before the next step forward.

Yeah I do need a shield for that light - I have 3 somewhere so am reluctant to buy any .

Thanks wheelin.

weisyboy
16th March 2008, 04:55 PM
nice chisels bob:2tsup:

any chance of some more info on youe meatal saw. dose it use a cut off wheel or one of those rotary hacksaw blades? it it just a moded tablesaw or a speial purchse?

ok so i honed the balde today and changed the engle to 30* and she works great. i was expecting a nice peice of firewood seing as i have never seen a wooden plane and i had no plans.:2tsup:

Rhys Cooper
16th March 2008, 05:00 PM
cant wait for tomorrw i will have a similar 'day in the workshop'. at school we are having a consolidation day, basically we can do assignments and study, so i am gonna go in the workshop and do some more on my workbench and my lounge chair all day. cannot wait.

P.S i have no assignments due for school, and i dont believe in studying at school, therefore all day is free.

cant wait

BobL
16th March 2008, 07:18 PM
nice chisels bob:2tsup:
Thanks - They're cut on my small metal cutting saw. I'm working on a jig at the moment to hold them lengthwise while I grind a side bevel onto them

any chance of some more info on youe meatal saw. dose it use a cut off wheel or one of those rotary hacksaw blades? it it just a moded tablesaw or a speial purchse?
There's a link to a post and pics about the saw in my earlier post in this thread. It's a 30 year old 8" table saw with a 1.5HP motor that I run 125 mm thin kerf cut off wheel - It's one of my most used tools in the shed.

ok so i honed the balde today and changed the engle to 30* and she works great. i was expecting a nice peice of firewood seing as i have never seen a wooden plane and i had no plans.:2tsup:
Looking good! What sort of wood are you planing. BTW have you seen these (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=65889) blades! Full thread/post is here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=60209&page=21).

funkychicken
16th March 2008, 08:04 PM

Who knew you could plane on the couch:roll:

Hey Bob...I wouldn't mind some of those chisels myself *hint hint*

weisyboy
16th March 2008, 08:40 PM
good job bob

any chance of gettin you to make me some:;. i made this one from an old hardend steel mower blade i was surprised at how fine grained the steel was. made it up with the 9" grinder and the bench grinder. not sompthing i fancy doing again.:U

im gonna make a few more planes, a palm one and a spoke shave and probly some others.

Woodwayze
16th March 2008, 09:16 PM
Bob think you need a reflective shield for the globe

Now there's an expression I haven't heard in a long while. A 'globe' was what my parents called a bulb! I got pilloried for it when I enlisted in the RN.
Called them bulbs ever since. Makes sense, now that the low energy bulbs are not usually globe-shaped at the business end. I suspect it's becoming global?

Mind you, I can remember having to change the gas 'mantle', before electricity reached our homes!

:D

Regards
John

weisyboy
16th March 2008, 09:24 PM
hammering out the round wick so it would fit in the hurracane.

it sone of those round peg in a square hole things

weisyboy
16th March 2008, 09:29 PM
[quote=BobL;702015]

Looking good! What sort of wood are you planing.quote]

ironbark:whistling2:red cedar

BobL
16th March 2008, 09:42 PM
good job bob

any chance of gettin you to make me some:;. i made this one from an old hardend steel mower blade i was surprised at how fine grained the steel was. made it up with the 9" grinder and the bench grinder. not sompthing i fancy doing again.:U

im gonna make a few more planes, a palm one and a spoke shave and probly some others.

Weisy,

Sorry those plane blades are all spoken for. They were part of a bulk tool steel purchase organized by thumbsucker(Batch 01)who also organized to have them cut into plane blades. He has also coordinated a second batch purchase discussed here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=61147).

I recently organized a bulk purchase of tool steel (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=66787)from the US especially for plane making floats - only 3 takers - we got a really good price.

You need to hang out a little more in the Hand tools section of the forum to pick up on these deals.

thumbsucker
16th March 2008, 10:15 PM

I have extra blades left as part of batch two (just for people like you), I hope to have batch 02 ready for shipping to members in April, as soon as the steel arrives and we get the blades ground and heat treated.

The following blades are left.

100 x 50 x 8 mm (5 left) @ $40 each
100 x 60 x 8 mm (4 left) @ $50 each
100 x 80 x 8 mm (1 Left) @ $55 each

I am also into trading blades for wood.

Plus postage

If you want details of how and why the blades came into existence you will need to read both the batch 01 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=60209) and batch 02 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61147) threads.

PM me if you are interested or post in the batch 02 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61147) thread.

weisyboy
16th March 2008, 10:26 PM
pm sent

funkychicken
16th March 2008, 10:41 PM
Wasn't I trying to get a 100mm x 50mm x 8mm??

I might grab 2 of them now...

thumbsucker
16th March 2008, 11:03 PM
I might grab 2 of them now...

PM Sent

Ashore
17th March 2008, 01:02 AM
My condolences Carl, the mere thought of Al getting "friendly" with you is . . . urgh:q

Watch your back and Count your fingers after you shake his hand , :buttkick::D:D:D

weisyboy
17th March 2008, 08:53 AM
wil do mate:U

kman-oz
17th March 2008, 01:39 PM
Great plane weisyboy. I like the premise that a tool has to be a working-tool, not a work-of-art.

I think there's a lot to be said for just making a tool that works and not being so concerned about making it look like something made professionally. Make it work.... then make it beautiful :)

Well Done :2tsup:

weisyboy
17th March 2008, 01:42 PM
not a work of art! i thaught it was:C.

an mate as long as it works that all that matters to me:2tsup:

kman-oz
17th March 2008, 02:05 PM
an mate as long as it works that all that matters to me:2tsup:

You get my point exactly. Some of the members here spend a good deal more time making a tool pretty than they spend making a tool functional. I've seen a few work benches around here that look like they'd be more at home in the dining room instead of the workshop!

My first working wooden plane is now getting the French polish treatment.... not because it want it to look good mind you, but because I want to learn this technique. So I'm trying it on a tool to see well it stands up to regular abuse, because the plane gets abused, not adored!

BobL
17th March 2008, 04:56 PM
You get my point exactly. Some of the members here spend a good deal more time making a tool pretty than they spend making a tool functional. I've seen a few work benches around here that look like they'd be more at home in the dining room instead of the workshop!

My first working wooden plane is now getting the French polish treatment.... not because it want it to look good mind you, but because I want to learn this technique. So I'm trying it on a tool to see well it stands up to regular abuse, because the plane gets abused, not adored!

Dave, I agree - if its not functional forget it. However, looks, functionality and general tool use are not mutually exclusive so I do spend a bit of time making tools look good.

Firstly if a tool looks reasonable then if other people use it they are less likely to trash ore misue it.

Secondly, "looks good" is IMHO just a outcome of feeling good or right. For example, when I make tool handles, if it's for a handle I've never made before I collect up some pieces of wood and rough out some blanks and get the handle into the approximate shape. Then I pick up them up and close my eyes and just feel the emerging handles (it sounds a bit "arty farty" I know but it works!). Put down and pick pick up several times and get my hand to settle where it feels comfortable, start shaving a bit off here and there and repeat until it feels right. At the end of this process I have always finished up with a product that looks good. The reverse also works but not as well as the other way a around.
Proper finishing of a tool adds to the tactile feel, comfort, service and use. I could leave my wood handles raw or even unsanded, but a thorough sanding, 3/4 of coats of BLO, the last couple with a few drops of white shellac and a sponsors product wax rub does not take all that long and leave the handle with a superior feel and comfort. Like PPE, tools that are uncomfortable are less likely to be used or used properly.

BTW I notice that Derek has a number of old and his own tools inside his house on display - they look fantastic - and they work really well.

Cheers

kman-oz
17th March 2008, 06:18 PM
Point taken on the misuse thing, Bob, I hadn't thought of that. It's probable that I hadn't thought of that because no-one but me uses my tools unless under my supervision.... and even then...

Regarding tools handles I don't think this argument applies; making a tool handle functional would more often than not result it at least a fair appearance anyway. You have to create a pleasing shape, you have to get it smooth, and you have to protect the timber from oils and grit and you generally end up with something that also looks nice. The leap from this stage to something really good looking is about 20 minutes work, I don't have a problem with that, I do the same. What I don't understand is making a tool inordanantly pretty.

Take the scrub plane the TS, kevjed and I made for example: Looks wonderful, is beautifully tactile and eminantly functional. To me this falls into the same category as a tool handle, it looks nice almost entirely as a result of being functional, only a liberal coat of ubeaut wax was applied purely for appearance sake. But something struck me as really odd during the build; once complete, and with the basic tuning done I thought, "Ok, we're ready for the first shavings" where TS thought, "Ok, we're ready to start polishing it"... :p

I had a quiet chuckle with TS about that mostly because I thought it terribly vain. Of course, TS wanted some nice photos to post and with kevjed doing the flash work, and armed with a good quality SLR, I had to agree. Of course, this was a very moderate amount of prettying, but there are those who take this to the extreme.

I respect the fact that weisyboy has kept it simple in order to make his tool functional. On the other hand, I don't understand why a work bench must be finished 'just so', with ornate joinery and infinite detail. It's a tool, not fine furniture.

Is it for satisfaction, or perhaps asthetic value in terms of how you perceive you work environment?

Dave.

Sawdust Maker
17th March 2008, 08:55 PM
I have extra blades left as part of batch two (just for people like you), I hope to have batch 02 ready for shipping to members in April, as soon as the steel arrives and we get the blades ground and heat treated.

The following blades are left.

100 x 50 x 8 mm (5 left) @ $40 each
100 x 60 x 8 mm (4 left) @ $50 each
100 x 80 x 8 mm (1 Left) @ $55 each

I am also into trading blades for wood.

Plus postage

If you want details of how and why the blades came into existence you will need to read both the batch 01 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=60209) and batch 02 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61147) threads.

PM me if you are interested or post in the batch 02 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61147) thread.

PM Sent

PS - nice plane and nice shavings - you allowed to keep the tools on the lounge like that all the time?

weisyboy
17th March 2008, 09:19 PM
yre mate thats the sofabed in the spare room the rest of the room is full of my junk to only gets used when we have gusets (not erry often).

funkychicken
18th March 2008, 12:13 AM

Not mine:D

Have you guys seen HNT Gordon planes? One case where a tool could actually be called beautiful:B And they work veeery well

BobL
18th March 2008, 12:26 AM
On the other hand, I don't understand why a work bench must be finished 'just so', with ornate joinery and infinite detail. It's a tool, not fine furniture.

Each to their own I guess but I basically agree on the workbench. Mine are increasingly covered with chainsaw juices, metal dust, paint and glue, When they get really bad I will replace the tops. I couldn't stand to do that to something that was too pretty. I do however use all the tools I make, even the prettiest ones.