PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Walnut

clubbyr8
15th March 2008, 06:31 PM
I've got a piece of Tiger Walnut that I'm making a Crushgrind peppermill out of. Is this a suitable timber for a peppermill? As I'm turning/drilling it, the timber is very fragrant, will this affect the finished product?

TIA

artme
15th March 2008, 06:55 PM
Lucky you!!:):):)
Should be good as Walnut is a great all round timber.

rsser
16th March 2008, 02:47 PM
Not heard of Tiger Walnut.

Could it be Tiger Myrtle?

If so, there is a view that TM gets its stripes from a fungal infection like spalting, and that would be something to be wary of in food utensils. There are other explanations however.

clubbyr8
16th March 2008, 05:19 PM
Not heard of Tiger Walnut.

Could it be Tiger Myrtle?

If so, there is a view that TM gets its stripes from a fungal infection like spalting, and that would be something to be wary of in food utensils. There are other explanations however.

rsser,

The piece was bought from Trend Timber and it definately had "dry Tiger Walnut" written on it. I did do a google and it does exist, just not a lot of info.

rsser
16th March 2008, 05:31 PM
Sounds interesting.

Post a pic?

clubbyr8
16th March 2008, 06:03 PM
Sounds interesting.

Post a pic?

Here 'tis. Sorry about the quality, lousy light here - taken with in-built flash. Picture actually looks a bit light.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc267/clubbyr8v8/IMG_4658_1.jpg

Richard Findley
18th March 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi,

It looks a bit like what I know as Imbuya (some times spelt Imbuia) also known as Brazillian Walnut.

If it is Imbuya then it's not a true Walnut but is used as a substitute sometimes as it darkens on exposure/with age. It's nice wood with a sort of peppery smell?!

Richard

clubbyr8
19th March 2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. The blank when I bought it definitely said "Tiger Walnut". I think I might email Trend Timber and ask them.
The aroma when turning is more of sweet smell not a peppery smell (to me anyway).

rsser
19th March 2008, 08:23 AM
Do a search of the websites on toxic woods and see if they throw up anything.

There was a recent thread somewhere - Finishing forum? about hay fever with some sites posted.

btw, if it is risky, I wouldn't take the advice you were given elsewhere about sanding sealer. That will wear off pretty quickly if your grinder setup has wood moving against wood. At a min. I'd be using CA.

Good luck.

clubbyr8
19th March 2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks Ern,

Looks like a bit more investigation is required.

clubbyr8
19th March 2008, 05:14 PM
I have received an email back from Trend Timbers (thanks Adrian).

Apparantly the wood is, as Richard attested, Brazilian Imbuia Walnut and is suitable for most things including peppermills.

Thank you to all that responded.

rsser
19th March 2008, 05:27 PM
Good news Bob.

Post a pic when it's finished?

(Better safe than sorry so kudos for asking.
I did one out of Silky Oak for my son before learning that this species is a no no. Just as well he didn't like it and didn't use it).