PDA

View Full Version : What's with this "cashback by redemption" ??

arose62
16th March 2008, 08:59 AM
Starting to look for a new PC or two, or maybe just an LCD screen to replace the 22" monster CRT that heats the room better than a fireplace, and it seems that everything has two prices:

1) the price you actually pay (printed in small type),
and
2) the large, brightly printed price, that involves you paying more up-front, then going to a website, typing in your details, getting some secret code, cutting a piece out of the box your new toy came in, sending the code + bit of box + original receipt off in the mail, and waiting up to 8 weeks for a cheque.

I've now added "must NOT have cashback by redemption" to my shopping criteria.

Wonder what would happen if they tried this cr?p in another industry??

Cheers,
Andrew

wheelinround
16th March 2008, 09:37 AM
To date I have not head of anyone getting it or any deal such as they advertise watches additional software packs etc etc.
Plenty have fought for it
If this is so why not just drop the price makes the customer happy doesn't take up extra time filling in stupid details.

Lignum
16th March 2008, 10:37 AM
I recently purchased a new lap top with a RRP of $1150. Got a cordless mouse a packet of blank DVD discs and she charged me $875. I asked how it was so much cheaper, and i was told it was the cashback redemption. It was probbably that in the first place, but other outlets were selling it give or take 50 bucks at $1150. I was happy:)

q9
16th March 2008, 11:37 AM
Basically it is a way to collect marketing information. And accurate information too - who wouldn't want the cashback afterall?

Brickie
16th March 2008, 05:58 PM
Im still waiting for a cash back from Norton, its going on 4 years for $10.....:o

Do you think I should give up hope of getting it? :D

Yours, Expectantly...

AlexS
16th March 2008, 06:35 PM
I recently bought a HP printer with a 'cashback' that was an external HDD. Suited me as it was the printer I wanted at a reasonable price and I wanted the HDD anyway. The catch was you have to wait up to 75 days from when they receive your application, but that's OK, I can wait. Anyway, the other day, six weeks after I sent the form, they email me saying they have just received my form a couple of days ago and should receive the HDD in 75 days from that date of receipt. I've emailed them, and I'll check when the cheque for "postage & handling" was cashed. Never trust these !@#$%.

As for Norton, perhaps consumer affairs will be interested...

Lignum
16th March 2008, 06:48 PM
The catch was you have to wait up to 75 days from when they receive your application, .

I went to dick smith and got a good size reduction on the spot and she told me it was the cash back? Do the bigger stores cover it and give an automatic discount:?

RETIRED
16th March 2008, 06:58 PM
Im still waiting for a cash back from Norton, its going on 4 years for $10.....:o

Yours, Expectantly...
Cheques in the mail.

Master Splinter
16th March 2008, 08:37 PM
It's apparently a 'popular' marketing technique in the US (coupons/cashback offers or whatever they call them).

Popular because: 1) the retailer is still making a percentage of the full retail price and not on a reduced price, 2) not everybody sends the coupons in, and 3) some of the redemption companies (yes, there are companies that just do redemption offer processing, that's how big an industry it is) have slightly unethical behaviour and use any possible means to reject your cashback claim.

Honorary Bloke
16th March 2008, 10:36 PM
It's apparently a 'popular' marketing technique in the US (coupons/cashback offers or whatever they call them).

Popular because: 2) not everybody sends the coupons in,.

Got it in one! :D

les88
17th March 2008, 06:10 AM
I never buy an article with cash back.. IMO if they can give cash back the article is over priced.:oo::oo:
les

q9
17th March 2008, 11:30 AM
I never buy an article with cash back.. IMO if they can give cash back the article is over priced.:oo::oo:
les

Not quite. The cash back comes from the marketing budget. The retailer still pays the same for his stock, and his margins are the same. But as the redemption usually comes from the product company or one of their agents, they are really just paying you for some information, which is usually just your name and address. From there they recalibrate their marketing demographics software. Simple as that.

Wood Borer
17th March 2008, 11:53 AM

You don't see too many of them on the road these days - fantastic sound from those old Pommy thumpers though:2tsup:

madrat
17th March 2008, 12:26 PM
Our first 'cash back' experience was for $30 on a printer. Had to chase it for about 8months.
I was like a dog with a bone, wouldn't let go on principal :D
When we finally got it, I was not excited as I should have been. :wink:

Recently bought a plasma at Xmas time.
It came with two cash back offers ??!!
One was for a DVD player, which we got last week (and is a piece of c*#p). The other is for a weekend for 2 in your home state :2tsup:

Thought we could use this as our honeymoon (which should have been 10 years ago). Haven't seen this one yet.
Hubby says the honeymoon was just not meant to be. :wink: (very subtle, that man of mine....)

prozac
17th March 2008, 04:57 PM

Yours, Expectantly...

Happiest day of my computer life when with some trepidation I dis-installed Norton. I now run Avast which is free, updates daily automatically, and does not cause conflicts with some programs as did Norton. Avast also does the virus job better than Norton and is a smaller program.

That's my 2 bobs.

prozac

AlexS
17th March 2008, 05:46 PM
... I'll check when the cheque for "postage & handling" was cashed. Never trust these !@#$%.
Strange, the cheque hasn't been presented yet.:?:?

DavidG
17th March 2008, 07:16 PM
Have had several cash back offers. Never a problem.

fenderbelly
18th March 2008, 10:42 PM
i bought my laptop with $199 cashback deal.Had to wait 2 months for the cashback,when it came the check was for $149 so i rang them with a complaint and they said that they never had a cashback deal for that amount.
Luckily for me i had downloaded the deal on offer. I faxed it to them and rang them 3 days later, your check will be posted tomorrow they said, 2 weeks later i rang again to be told "it was posted this morning".i received it 3 days later.

bobsreturn2003
19th March 2008, 01:53 PM
i dropped norton also and enjoy avg free . works well for me . tried cash back . got a hp computer , kept locking up tried online help etc , eventually rang them to be told to return for refund or exchange!!! did so got an acer wich works well ,so far . about 6 weeks after purchase got an email from cash back . not what you would call customer service ! guess if you can wait it may work ?? but why do they need to keep your money ,for so long??

bsrlee
19th March 2008, 07:19 PM
Another shonky 'Cash Back' offer I have seen going around requires you to pay for a 'holiday' at a specific resort, then you are given vouchers to 'spend' on services at the resort. So you end up paying i) an inflated price for the product you want, and ii) paying an inflated price for a resort 'visit' if you try to pursue your 'offer'.

And some people continue to fall for this!

Poppa
20th March 2008, 05:13 PM
I've had several cash back offers and never had a problem. I've successfully redeemed cash back offers from Norton and Quicken, and also got the free stuff that some of them offer instead of cash back. Works for me...