PDA

View Full Version : Ubeaut's Wooden Boat Squadron - SA division

Pages : [1] 2 3

Daddles
16th March 2008, 01:50 PM
With Easter coming up and the number of boaties from Adelaide on the forum, is there any interest in getting together for an afternoon of lies, boating and blatant untruths? I'm not thinking of a barbie in someone's backyard, I'm thinking of actually going to someone's favourite boating place, tossing the craft in the water and having a bit of fun.

My little Redback should be back in the water by then, under sail. She'll sail (or row) on anything from your aircon overflow upwards so I'm pretty flexible. Also flexible for time too - it's just me and the lad and nothing planned.

Anyone interested?

Richard

b.o.a.t.
16th March 2008, 11:18 PM
G'day Richard

Working afternoon shift Easter Sat, Sun, Mon. :((
I can probably do Friday afternoon (subject to Management Plans). Will get back to you in the next day or so. A couple of days off playing with the CFS have used up most of my brownie points...

Suggestions for where... I suppose will depend a bit on forecast wind.
I eventually placed your TB photos - Finniss R at ?Knotts Landing?
Looks a bit different at the moment...
Guess that means you are also familiar with Clayton already.
Not fabulous with a southerly, & it's a fair hike to more than knee-
deep water. At least there are few foil-eating rocks there.

Goolwa was ok off the Aquacaf a few weeks ago except for a limestone reef across the end of the jetty. With this hot spell, the lake has probably dropped another 6" which might make it hard to get across the reef...

Reliable sheltered water is most likely at West Lakes.
What thinketh you ?
cheers
Alan J.

Daddles
17th March 2008, 12:29 AM
West Lakes suits me ... unless it's covered with rowing skiffs and dragon boats like it was last time I was there. People with larger craft might appreciate a bit more water though.

Richard

Daddles
17th March 2008, 08:32 AM
Come on boys. Any more takers? Any more suggestions? West Lakes is safe but a tad boring ... unles you're dodging dragon boats :rolleyes:

Richard

RobiBade
17th March 2008, 09:18 AM
Hi All,
Mik Storer sent me the link to this group and it might be what I am looking for. I have a PD Racer built to Mik's plans and am looking for a group to sail with. I also am restoring a Sabre and almost finished the construction stage on a David Payne designed six meter outboard cruiser. I would be up for a sail with you but we are off to Burra for the holiday weekend. I will keep an eye open for future gatherings though and may have some ideas myself. I am a member at Clayton Bay Boat Club and you are spot on with the water levels down there.
You might think about the Port River Sailing Club and sailing in the Port River if you are looking for flat water. The new facilities down there are coming along nicely.

Thanks Mik and hope to catch up Wednesday at DF

Rob Badenoch

Daddles
17th March 2008, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse Rob. We've crossed swords before haven't we?

Easter was always going to be an issue, but it was the next weekend available and so worth a shot. If anyone else would like to get together but can't this weekend, please say so. This is the first such attempt that I'm aware of so it's also gauging interest in such get togethers (ie, no interest, won't do it again).

Richard

m2c1Iw
17th March 2008, 01:26 PM
Daddles,
Hope to add to the squadron shortly with a PD, unfortunately I'm a non starter for Easter but would be in it another weekend in the future.

Cheers Mike

Boatmik
17th March 2008, 10:06 PM
If I can scrounge the duckflat van I can be somewhere with one or maybe two PDRs.

I will know on Wednesday.

Michael.

b.o.a.t.
18th March 2008, 04:51 AM
I'm a definite starter for Good Friday afternoon.
Somewhere.
Can bring as-yet-unmodified Teal & a couple of kayaks.
I don't know the Port at all. Am in the habit of avoiding boat ramps so am completely ignorant of facilties. Last time I was up that way I put in outside Westlakes shopping centre - carried the yaks 50M to the water. Sandy beach & clean toilets. Car park not really set up for trailers though.

AJ

Daddles
18th March 2008, 08:09 AM
Where would you go if you were going up the river AJ? Goolwa? Clayton mud puddle? Meningie salt pans? Murray Bridge?

Be good to have you with us Mik. Please grovel hard to Mr Ducks :wink:

Richard

Boatmik
18th March 2008, 08:36 AM
Would be nice not too far. Meningie is a bit far.

Depends a bit on weather too. If blowing then more sheltered might be better or a beer garden handy might make it nicer. But if not blowing it would be OK just about anywhere.

Down the Port can be a good fun for a bit of an explore. Particularly from the Small Boat Club side -but windless aint fun there as the tide will hae you paddling frantically - bit of wind and it is great gunkholing territory. Also Clayton, Goolwa, Murray Mouth. Brighton.

MIK
MIK

Daddles
18th March 2008, 09:01 AM
Brighton would suit me - close and it's where I'd like to get sailing so it'd be nice to have some support the first time we try though. Nice beach launching - if they can get tinnies on trailers in the water there, we should be laughing.

Mik's right about the weather dictating things a little. How late can we leave it before we make an official decision?

Anyone game enough to say - 'that's the place, be there' ?

Richard

b.o.a.t.
19th March 2008, 02:45 AM
Have never put in along the coast except occasionally with a kayak. The ocean was thrust into distant second place half-way through my first trip down the upper Brisbane River some 30 yrs ago. Happy to give Brighton a go though.

Probably make final decision on Thursday night subject to forecast for Friday.

If reasonably light winds, Brighton/Seacliff should be ok - I don't know the go/no-go parameters for the coast. If stronger winds, the Gulf might get a bit lumpy for little boats.

Westlakes would be more sheltered for any wind direction. Clayton is nice & sandy but can be a bit of a battle getting off-shore in a southerly (paddle out then reach up & down the channel).

I see the temp prediction is 24C. Suspect that means fresh southerlies.

b.o.a.t.
19th March 2008, 07:31 PM
Gentlemens
I have taken the liberty of inviting Johnny Adams of Yahoo Openboat list. He's in Adelaide from the UK at the moment on family business & would love to do something watery with some locals. Mik - have you been able to secure a PDR or 2 ? I'll bring along at least 1 kayak plus Teal.

Just looking at the forecast for metro & lakes waters for Friday - 15-20Kt SSE http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS65281.shtml
I suspect Seacliff/Brighton might not be a particularly pleasant place for some small boats out for a wee potter about. Racing would be a blast, but I'm 30 years removed from that sort of sailing..

Suggest Westlakes or Port River.

Anyone have better experience of metro waters to suggest otherwise?

cheers
Alan J.

Buzza
19th March 2008, 10:11 PM
Brighton South Australia is not close to Elizabeth South Australia but West Lakes is a bit closer. I can sit in my car and watch all of the fun from there. :cool:

Birkenhead Tavern Ramp seemed to be very steep to me, and I wonder can Snowden's Beach still be used to launch?

Daddles
19th March 2008, 10:39 PM
How about we settle on West Lakes then. It's sort of almost central maybe but more importantly, it's fairly safe, if a little boring ... and there are sure to be pubs nearby :wink:

Any thoughts?

Richard

b.o.a.t.
19th March 2008, 11:15 PM
"Safe" depends on how much sailing experience you've got Richard.
15-20 out the open will translate to 10-20 on WL. Your little boat
carries possibly more sail than I've put on Teal, so will be more of a
handfull. (I'm a lazy sod...)

Next question is "where" at Westlakes.

Have checked the rowing club calendar & it is clear, so provided there
isn't a dragonboat or sailing regatta on, we should be ok anywhere on
the lake.

I've never put in, nor inspected the parking or facilities at the rowing
club on the west bank. See the odd boat sailing from there but don't
know if they trail them or keep them at the clubhouse.

I last put in at a reserve & beach behind the shopping centre in
Brebner Drive. 50M carry to water, but an excellent beach & access.

There were also people putting boats in at a sandy beach & reserve at
the north end off Dotterel Drv. Looks a bit closer from vehicle to lake
than Brebner. That end of the lake might be a bit more interesting to
sail too, and there's the Sporting Club / pub not far away on Bartley
Tce.

Hmmm... have got much to do tomorrow, but if I get a chance I might whiz up there for a bo-peep.

Final question is "where's Mik, & has he got the DF van & PDR's ?"...

cheers.

b.o.a.t.
19th March 2008, 11:17 PM
[quote=Buzza;703854]Brighton South Australia is not close to Elizabeth South Australia but West Lakes is a bit closer. I can sit in my car and watch all of the fun from there. :cool:
[\quote]

Why not join in if you can ?

Daddles
20th March 2008, 12:17 AM
If there's no rowing on, the rowing club is the go. There's a large car park there, a public loo and a ramp leading down to the water with a nice, sandy beach next to it. There's even a playground if you've got little kids.

Last time I was there, Mike and I ran our boats down on the trailers, off loaded them onto the sand and went from there. I pulled my trailer down and back up again by hand if I remember rightly, it's not steep.

Lots of water there too.

So, Friday arvo by the rowing clubs on Westlakes. Is that a goer? What time?

"Safe" depends on how much sailing experience you've got Richard.

Wot's this 'experience' stuff to which you refer? :cool:

Richard

RobiBade
20th March 2008, 10:00 AM
Hi All,
I can help with the conditions at Brighton Seacliff and others. In a Southerly and Westerly Brighton Seacliff can get very lumpy with short steep waves.
The Rowing club at West Lakes has a great beach and not so steep ramp and will be OK with challenging conditions with heavy gusts and variations in direction if the wind is up 15-25 Knots but great otherwise.
Snowdens beach at Port Adelaide near the Port River Sailing Club is OK for launching but for a few rocks on the bottom which are easily avoided with plenty of parking at the waters edge. This has the advantage of being able to explore the Port River and Barker inlet.

Hope this helps.
Rob B

b.o.a.t.
20th March 2008, 04:27 PM
So, Friday arvo by the rowing clubs on Westlakes. Is that a goer? What time?

Wot's this 'experience' stuff to which you refer? :cool:

Richard

Done.
13:00 is the earliest I can do.
No curfew unless John has one...

Experience - it's the stuff you need before you make the mistakes that you gain it from. :doh:
Or, in its absence, a good scapegoat sometimes suffices.. :2tsup:

Thanks for the info Rob B. Suspected as much. Looks like WL is the go this time.
cheers
AJ

Daddles
20th March 2008, 06:00 PM
Let's finalise it then, just so there's no confusion.

Good Friday,1 pm.

Rowing club on Westlakes (on Military Road, about half way between Trimmer Pde and West Lakes Blvd - look for a carpark with a playground). If it's busy thanks to a regatta we've missed or something stoopid like that, we'll move to the northern end of the lake off Bower Road.

Meet there regardless of the weather. If it's dreadful, we won't move to somewhere nice before 1:30. If you can't find us, ring me on CUT BY MIK (mods, please remind me to remove that number on sat :-)

I'm easy to spot - look for a boat with a big spider on the transom :D

Richard

Daddles
20th March 2008, 06:04 PM
Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what the safe clearance under those bridges is? My dodgy memory suggests it's row boat territory.

Richard

Boatmik
20th March 2008, 11:00 PM
No boats, but I'll get a bus over - or if the winds are favourable a bicycle. See you then.

MIK

Buzza
20th March 2008, 11:27 PM
b.o.a.t. I am not only boatless, but I am on the heavy side over 100KGS and have knee replacements. Diving under booms is no longer an option for me. :-

A bull in a crockery shop methinks. :wink:

I often think of Fletcher Christian, who (it is written) could make a standing jump into a barrel, and then a standing jump to get out of said barrel again. A proper sailor lad our Fletcher.

I will convince the women folk to go for an after lunch ride to West Lakes then, keeping a look out for a transom mounted spider. :)

Boatmik
21st March 2008, 12:59 PM
I wonder why he perfected that particular skill. Maybe a little like

Christian: SUUUUUUUUUURPRISE!!!!!
Bligh (with a start): I am sick of you and all your little practical jokes - that one last night of dusting the ships parrot with gunpowder and letting in loose in the candlelit officer's mess was really thoughtless, for the crew and the parrot.
Christian: That's your problem Captain - no sense of humour - did you hear the one about the Irishman the ...
Bligh (darkly serious): Stop that Mr Christian - Right now.
Christian: Lighten up captain it could be a really happy ship. Do you want to borrow any of my joke books? I also have every edition of "Uncle Scrooge" published since 1777.
Bligh: No I don't Mr Christian, and if ... where'd he go?
Christian: (muffled giggles)
Bligh: We've all seen that 87 times Christian - GET OUT OF THAT BARREL - or there will be trouble.

Buzza
21st March 2008, 11:33 PM
Well now all of those that were present, know I am not even a distant relative of Fletcher Christian. More than likely I have Hereford in my blood after all. My first attempt at kakyaking resulted in a damp set of clothes dur to the fact that the boat would simply not stay upright, no matter which side I leant to. :oo:

It was great to meet the crew that turned out, and I did know I would have trouble with a kayak, it has been too long since I did any canoeing, and that was as I said, my first kayak experience. To see the other little boats on display and bobbing about was great. :2tsup:

Now tolook for a set of out-riggers. . . . .

Boatmik
22nd March 2008, 12:46 AM
What a Bl**dy good little boat meet it was too.

Everyone had a go of just about everything!!!

Nutshell, Redback, 2 kayaks (different designs), a Bolger Teal (modified), 2 mouseboats.

Lots of nattering about boats and soggy trouser hems.

A grand couple of hours. Thankyou all, specially Richard whose devious plot it was

Michael

Daddles
22nd March 2008, 09:57 AM
It was a fun afternoon. Weather was near enough to perfect. The water was suitably wet. Mik waved his magic wand and discovered the 'good little boat' hiding inside Redback (thanks mate, even I could feel the difference moving that halyard mount made) :2tsup: The lies were suitably restained :rolleyes: The lad discovered sailing and methinks we've got a convert :wink:

Roll on Stansbury in a few weeks time. Hey Mik, reckon I'm game enough to sail Redback from Vinnie to Stansbury? I'm certainly game enough to spend the day banging around in the harbours now :D

Richard

Boatmik
22nd March 2008, 10:35 AM
Howdy Richard.

Two steps for the lad.

Just dump him a PFD and a bailer by a suitably safe stretch of water and go away. At another time get him to practice righting a capsized boat in deep water (so he can't touch bottom too easily) on a day with an onshore breeze.

Thats what my parents did and the result was ... as you see.

(actually they didn't know enough about sailing to suggest the capsize drill - so that is my suggestion)

MIK

Pat
22nd March 2008, 10:53 AM
No photo's, didn't happen:)

Daddles
22nd March 2008, 11:08 AM

Wet bum, did happen :wink:

Richard

Daddles
22nd March 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually, we both need to do capsize drills with Redback. I reckon it'll be a challenge, not because the boat will misbehave, but because she's such a small, rotund little thing.

Richard

b.o.a.t.
22nd March 2008, 04:09 PM

Too busy sailing & telling lies to take photos. Will have to do the 'drink beer' part another time. :wink:

Buzza got dampish. :2tsup:

Special guest John got soaked. :2tsup::2tsup:
And thoroughly enjoyed it. "Deliciously warm water" is how I think he described it.

Learnt more from Mik about square sails set-up in ten minutes than in a month of reading about them. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Learnt I have to take back all the negatives I ever thought about "Nutshell 7"s & "Tender Behind"s & "Mouse"s being too small to be safe or comfortable, or any use at all apart from as a mill-pond tender or kiddies toy. (this attitude acquired by 'too exciting' times in a Sabot many years ago) Absolutely blown away by TB's on-water behaviour after Daddle's chainsaw mods & Mik's ministrations. Pity it is such a pig to build. Nutshell is slightly less dry, but has slightly better ergonomics & is just as delightful to sail.

Have come away with a number of new projects & mods to carry out on my poor unfortunate winged Teal. In fact, I think after 8 nameless years, it is high time I named her. "Winged Teal" has about the right amount of other associations & entendres & etc.

Also discovered that 6 degrees of separation is a load of rubbish in these days of th' Intarweb. Quite extraordinary the inter-connections present within the boat design world just in this one small gathering!

All in all, a most excellent afternoon.

cheers
AJ

Buzza
22nd March 2008, 06:50 PM
SWMBO was concerned about my backing out over a lumpy thing. "Stop, you ran over your thongs"! She dived out and grabbed them, and then expressed more concern about me running the risk of a breath analysis test. No I hadn't been drinking, but I was driving in me jocks. In a haste to get into drier clothing, I dropped my shorts, and kicked off the thongs and sat on the towel I had brought along with me. The thongs were forgoten until SWMBO saw them when I looked to see what the lump was when I backed. :-

I told her to tell the cops we were on our honeymoon should they grab me.

Kayaks should have trainer floats . . .BIG TRAINER FLOATS. As well as stern and forehead cockpits for rescue divers.

fenderbelly
23rd March 2008, 01:21 PM
Ok guys let me know when it's Stansburys' time and i'll pop along and have a squizz and try and help with the photos

Boatmik
23rd March 2008, 08:11 PM
STANSBURY AND PORT VINCENT BOAT FESTIVAL

Info is here on the SEASCOUTS page.
http://www.seascouts.sa.scouts.com.au/calendar/event_details.asp?id=80

Date: Fri, 11-13 Apr 2008
Most of the small boat activities on Sat and Sun.

MIK

Buzza
23rd March 2008, 10:18 PM
I prefer no cameras if I am to participate :B

Or a large paper bag so that I can be the "Unknown Sailor".

fenderbelly
24th March 2008, 02:19 PM
woudn't mind a sail actually, but would have to be in a sizeable boat due to size, i mean we could always use my dacks as a spare spinaker.

seriously tho i will try to be there with the Nikon with a wide angle lens Buzza

joking

Boatmik
29th March 2008, 05:19 PM
Daddles is not free :-(

However Rob Badenoch and I are looking at going to West Lakes on Sunday 6th as a practice run to make sure the PDRacers (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28107) are all working OK for the Stansbury Wooden Boat Festival the following weekend.

Still finalising time, but similar low key approach to last time. Start around midday, go for a couple of hours, "hang out" and watch the boats and sail a bit.

Oops - I had better check to see there are no rowing comps.

Planning to have two or three PDRs for starters - so all others are welcome too.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
29th March 2008, 08:11 PM
Bother ! I'm off to Bribie for a couple of weeks on the 6th.

Boatmik
30th March 2008, 10:29 AM
WEST LAKES
Date : 6th APRIL
Still finalising time, but similar low key approach to last time. Start around midday, go for a couple of hours, "hang out" and watch the boats and sail a bit.

Oops - I had better check to see there are no rowing comps.

Planning to have two or three PDRs for starters - so all others are welcome too.

But watch here for further information. I'll also put a post up there if the weather is doubtful.
More information as it develops here. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=706015#post706015)

STANSBURY/PORT VINCENT BOAT FESTIVAL
Date: Fri, 11-13 Apr 2008
Most of the small boat activities on Sat and Sun.

It is a great local festival in an area with a great maritime heritage. I'll be over there as part of the Duckflat contingent and then dashing back to Adelaide for the Duckflat Autumn Boatbuilding School (http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/events.php).
More information about the Stansbury, Port Vincent festival here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=706015#post706015)

Daddles
30th March 2008, 03:12 PM
Hey Mik,

I got home from the lad's soccer game just after 2 today. It strikes me that if I take the boats down to his game next week, I should be at Westlakes before 2:30. Is it worth the effort?

Richard

Boatmik
30th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Maybe we can make it a real afternoon sail - and kick off at 1 to 1.30 with you arriving a tad later?

Would be great to have you along - boated or booted.

MIK

Daddles
31st March 2008, 09:33 AM
And of course, my thoughts are thrown into confusion by others. The lad's been asked to train with the U17's this week (he's currently in the U16's). If his coach agrees, he might just have a game with the U17's on the weekend. Actually, it's a good opportunity for him as the U17s are the feeder group (and hence watched) for the senior teams. But with reference to this topic, I don't know where or when that match'll be ... assuming it happens of course.

I'll keep you posted. I'm as fascinated to find out what strangers are planning for my life as you are :rolleyes: The reality is, I doubt I'll know until friday night.

Richard

Daddles
31st March 2008, 10:17 AM
Just done some digging. The lad will definitely be playing with the U16s ... because the U17s have a bye.

That means I hope to be there some time after 2:30 ... with two kids in tow.

Richard

Boatmik
31st March 2008, 08:04 PM
Ok Daddles - we are now looking at gathering there between 1.30 and 2pm and going as long as .... we feel like.

Looks like the previous day is busy for rowing, but Sunday is clear.

MIK

RobiBade
1st April 2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Mik and others,
I will be at Westlakes on Sunday with my PDR Blu at this stage. I will invite Mark Rainbird along with his sailing canoe. Mark would probably be able to help with the PDR's at DF should you need some help. Now we wait to see if the weather will cooperate.

rob Badenoch

RobiBade
1st April 2008, 05:14 PM
Hi again,
The BOM forecast looks promising for Sunday ....
Sunday Fine day. Increasing cloud. Min 15 Max 23

Mik, might see you for a short visit to DF Wednesday morning.

Rob Badenoch

Boatmik
3rd April 2008, 10:51 AM
Small boat sailing day at West Lakes Adelaide - it is definitely ON - starting between 1 and 2pm on Sunday 6 April.

In the park adjacent to the West Lakes Aquatic Centre/Rowing clubs on Military Rd West Lakes. Look for the park and water, parking lot and launch ramp about 70m south of the Aquatic club building.

Robibade will be there a bit earlier.

Daddles will be down a bit later with Redback

Looks like we will have three PDRs - so come and look and try - any other canoes and dinghies or rowboats are very welcome.

If the weather looks dodgy on Sunday morning we will discuss and put a post here cancelling the event - but any reasonable conditions and we will be there!!!

RobiBade
4th April 2008, 06:34 PM
Hi All,
Not always accurate but the forecast for Gulf waters Sunday 6th April 2008

Sunday : Wind: SE/NE 5/15 knots

You beauty! Keep fingers crossed.:2tsup:

Rob Badenoch

Daddles
5th April 2008, 10:47 AM
I'll have a 7 year old who is going to need handling. If someone is considering bringing their wee ones, please do so - other kids to play with are always the best option.

Richard

RobiBade
5th April 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi All,
Ooooooh! Weather looks great ...

Adelaide Forecast for Sunday
Fine. A mild day with increasing middle level cloud and chiefly light winds.

Precis Fine. Cloudy.
City: Min 13 Max 24
Elizabeth: Min 12 Max 24

We will be there 12.30 with picnic lunch.

Rob Badenoch

Buzza
5th April 2008, 10:10 PM
I won't be able to sink any boats with you this time, as I will be helping to install a rainwater tank. However, I look forward to the report.

Ship oars.

m2c1Iw
5th April 2008, 11:00 PM
Hmm....I'm torn between glueing up my PD and sailing one tommorrow if I don't get there I'll be up to my elbows in poxy.

Have a great day.

Mike

Boatmik
6th April 2008, 09:14 AM
All boats loaded and ready to go - we made cradles to get both on the trailer yesterday.

After all they have to do the big trip to Stansbury tomorrow.

Probably be down to West Lakes today about 1-ish.

Michael

Daddles
6th April 2008, 07:29 PM
It was a nice afternoon. Gentle breeze blowing ... occasionally. Enough to get the boats moving around and never dead still.

Three PDRs, Redback and Scrat (my son's mouseboat) got wet and worked by all. Redback got to fly with wings and under oars - I'm surprised those PDRs are so slow compared to her :oo:

My wee daughter (7) had her first row in the mouseboat, all by herself ... with Dad wading along behind :2tsup: She did well too, even if she did give in to the terrors pretty quickly - that's normal, she'll have another go next time, and the next and then suddenly I'll be chasing her all over the pond in Redback :wink: She also had a sail in a PDR generously piloted by Mik who suffered a typically constant commentary - she generated enough sound waves to add an extra two knots to the boat's speed. Yep Mik, she NEVER shuts up, I pity the poor bloke who eventually marries her :cool:

The lad had a go in a PDR and thinks it's almost as good as kicking a ball around (but only almost).

Ted grabbed Redback and a pair of oars and tried to keep up with the PDRs. He managed it too, then we refitted her wings and he got to see how she handled under sail. I think he prefered them PDR things for some odd reason.

Robin kept his blue PDR busy and probably managed to explore most of the southern end of Westlakes.

Mik, typically, had a go in everything and only managed to embarress us tremendously :rolleyes: The lad is still talking about the 'standing up as you sail' routine.

All in all, a good afternoon.

Richard

jmk89
6th April 2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a great day. Stories like these make me wish I were back in Adelaide (my birthplace) and that I had not allowed other projects to distract me from building either or both the PDR or the Tamar dinghy replica.

Boatmik
6th April 2008, 10:47 PM
Geez, talk about pressure!!

I wanted to get some photos of the boats sailing - but I was sailing them!!!!!

IT's NOT FAIR.

Robin's wife Rosemary took this one.

bitingmidge
7th April 2008, 08:11 AM
Mik, typically, had a go in everything and only managed to embarress us tremendously :rolleyes: The lad is still talking about the 'standing up as you sail' routine.
Tell him you have to learn to sail standing up when your piles get really bad.

I'm sure that's why Mik does it.

P
:D:D:D

RobiBade
7th April 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
Rosemary and I arrived at Westlakes at about 12.30 to find a gentle E NE breeze 3-8 Knots and warm sunshine. We sat under a palm tree and had a cold chicken and salad lunch and then off for a walk along the lake shore.
Back to the car park and I backed the trailer down to the beach and unloaded "Blu" PDR 124. Fifteen minutes later we were rigged and ready to go. Mik and Ted arrived with PDRs 122 and 123 and were rigged and ready in next to no time. Ted who likes being first took off from the beach first and we all sailed down to the southern end of the lake with a gentle 5 knot breeze. If you sailed near the western shore the houses on the shore upset the flow of the wind and you all but came to a stop or had the breeze change direction. Ted again likes to be first managed to capsize and the learnt the art of righting a small dinghy under instruction from Mik and did a great job with little fuss. Time to head back to the launch beach to see Richard arrive with Kids, Mouse and Tender behind. Richards report on the day tells what happened from there. We all had a great relaxing day and look forward to more of this with some fun racing events. Mik and Ted are off to Pt Vincent and Stansbury for the Wooden Boat Classic in the PDRs with me defecting and sailing on a Jarcat 6. All in all a wonderful day.

Boatmik
23rd April 2008, 04:28 PM
Short notice I know.

This Saturday - April 26th is the two race day at Clayton Bay Boat Club - at Clayton Bay on the Murray River.

IT is called the RAT RACE REGATTA - and anyone with a boat and the right safety gear aboard can enter and it is a sausage sizzle lunch.

It is a low key family fun sailing day.

We will have three of the puddle ducks there plus one of the 3metre trimarans.

The Race info as was sent to me is"

Its on Its happening Come Hell or Low water lets break the drought

RAT RACE REGATTA AND PICNIC

Saturday April 26, 2008 Gates open 0900hrs
2 Races, First briefing 1030hrs

Boatie theme is the dress code

Dust off the dinghies and lets race
Picnic and sausage sizzle for lunch
Activities for children and adults
Henley on Murray cardboard boat race
Prizes for the best Picnic presentation
Prize for best dressed Boatie
BBQ dinner

Club Website - http://www.claytonbayboatclub.org.au/
Map - have been looking for an online map that I can put up here. The best I was able to find was the one below that has the important bit missing out of it - but you can see the roads leading in.
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/sa/murraylands/midmurray/accommodation/caravan/10467912/location

Any probs contact someone from the Clayton Bay Boat Club Website.

b.o.a.t.
1st May 2008, 09:56 PM
just testing to see if a Google Map can be posted

http://maps.google.com/?q=Clayton%2C%20SA%2C%20Australia

Would have been a fun although somewhat chilly day.
Fair walk from clubhouse to water though...

What counts as "the right safety gear"?

b.o.a.t.
8th May 2008, 12:15 PM
One of these threads suggested another get together at Westlakes (or somewhere). I agree. Can do 24/25 May or 14/15 June. Anyone else interested? Not sure if I'll be able to bring Teal though. Wings affixed & glassed but as yet unpainted. New rudder & sail on the distant to-do list.

On a semi-related note, I gave that kayak that I brought down to the first Westlakes meet a very thorough work-out while up at Bribie Island the other week. Have come to terms with its seeming instability and unwillingness to turn corners, even to the point of being rather pleased with it. I'll fix those two items in a Mk.3 build later this year.

Took it out in half a gale against the tide in Bribie Passage one day, just to see how it would go - a Very Small Boat (12ft x 2ft) with an overweight paddler (100+kg) in a Steep 300-400mm chop.

Very smooth in pitch into the wind & chop. The sharp bow pierces & rises gently, but quick enough to shed the vast majority of water before it runs aft to the cockpit. -Provided- I back off the speed a little bit. Never felt the need to even sponge out the bottom in over an hour 'out there'. No pounding at all. Big Tick. :U

Cross-wind & wave... had to... stay... alert. :unsure: Much bumpier ride, especially when occasionally waves would double-up to be nearly as tall as my head. But still dry, even in seriously confused water caused by reflected waves off a concrete wall. In fact, this particular bit was not fun at all. Was the one part of the whole trip where I felt at risk of an irrecoverable dunking. :o Slight weather-cocking into the wind while moving, & off the wind when stationary. Of course, stationary doesn't last long in a boat that can be driven walking pace just with hands.

Running with the waves, it just wanted to surf. Had a couple of really good long rides out in the middle of the channel. Also on occasional steeper boat wakes in the marina. It seemed to want to do this in even a 100 - 150mm swell too, but couldn't quite get up enough speed. Big Tick again :U

Not a boat for beginners, but can turn in a solid 7 - 8 km/h in flat water, hour after hour with modest effort. Concluded that if I lived up there, I'd probably lose the gut pretty quickly. Very pleasant indeed.

cheers
AJ

Boatmik
8th May 2008, 12:45 PM
What counts as "the right safety gear"?

The local authorities specify a number of items (with a special category for off-the-beach sailing dinghies and canoes. Racing rules also have some requirements and club rules may too.

Basically they will define what they want.

It is not complicated.

But safety gear is important.

Michael

Boatmik
8th May 2008, 10:41 PM
One of these threads suggested another get together at Westlakes (or somewhere). I agree. Can do 24/25 May or 14/15 June.

Sounds good to me. Water aint going to hurt unsanded glass AJ!

West Lakes would be fine - or down the Port could be fun too.

How are others situated with the timing?

MIK

Daddles
8th May 2008, 11:17 PM
Cor, I haven't survived this weekend yet :-

I don't have the kids on the 24/25 - I do on the 14/15. If someone is bringing another child for my 7 year old to play with, that doesn't matter so much. I would however, prefer the 24/25 because I can concentrate on playing boats instead of being on duty as 'dad'.

Saturday's are always better for me, but the lad is now playing for the U/17s which finish around mid-day, so sundays aren't a disaster.

As always though, I'd rather wait until closer to the time before making promises.

Who's going to sacrifice to the weather gods for whatever weekend we choose?

Richard

Daddles
8th May 2008, 11:18 PM
I didn't discuss location did I.
It doesn't really matter - I like discovering new places but will be sailing Redback and don't have time to fit four wheel drive so Lake Alexandrina is out.

Richard

b.o.a.t.
9th May 2008, 01:36 AM
I didn't discuss location did I.
It doesn't really matter - I like discovering new places but will be sailing Redback and don't have time to fit four wheel drive so Lake Alexandrina is out.
Richard

Now that Teal has wings, I shouldn't have too much problem with Lake Alex. Understand that you poor vertical-planed people might have trouble. :U The beach at Clayton Bay is quite firm for 2WD. Had the Honda on it a couple of months ago. Probably larger now - more like Sellicks at low tide. But you have to go a fair way offshore to get a board all the way down.

I like Saturdays better too. So 24 May is possibly firming up as the preferred date ?
Have checked canoeSA, rowingSA & sailingSA & none have a listing for west lakes on that date.

Have a couple of chooks here I'm prepared to sacrifice to the weather gods. They're turning the yard into a scale model of the Somme in 1916. With authentic replication of the smell. I call them Lunch & Dinner. SWMBO & the kids have other names for them... Will enquire of rest of household if they are interested in getting cold & wet.

cheers
AJ

Daddles
9th May 2008, 01:43 AM
I've got a Siamese cat I call 'death wish' - he's always up for the sacrificial alter :((

Clayton is sad isn't it. Bugger it, not just Clayton. I saw a 'good news' story in Goolwa where they were bragging about finally being able to pick up some of the crap that's been dumped in the river over the years. I saw a houseboat not far from Clayton that was in very good nick (hadn't been there for long) but was so high and dry the weeds surrounding it needed mowing :oo:

But it's okay. KevinO7 has promised lots of things are going to be talked about in a few years time, so we can be assured that the death of the Murray will be well documented as it happens.

Richard

RobiBade
9th May 2008, 10:51 AM
Hi All,
Saturday 24th sounds good for me but will see closer to the day. Will it be OK to bring my refurbished (FG) Sabre for trial sail as well as the PDR.

Rob Badenoch
Coromandel Valley SA

Daddles
9th May 2008, 11:36 AM
Hi All,
Saturday 24th sounds good for me but will see closer to the day. Will it be OK to bring my refurbished (FG) Sabre for trial sail as well as the PDR.

Rob Badenoch
Coromandel Valley SA

'tis expected me lad :D

Richard

Boatmik
10th May 2008, 03:59 PM
No Worries Rob.

I'll just have to check I can get the duck van to bring the two PDRs down.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
10th May 2008, 04:53 PM
Hi All,

Rob Badenoch
Coromandel Valley SA

Just so long as there is some wooden component to it.
Or at least a small off-cut tied-on or stowed somewhere.
Otherwise we'd have to rename this thread...
:U

Looks like I might be on me Pat Malone again - wife & daughter pre-booked, & Mr 16y/o isn't all that interested in boats or the old farts who mess around in them.
cheers
AJ

Daddles
16th May 2008, 09:43 PM
Do we want some bhoys to sail around?
Does anyone have some?
Does anyone want to make some?
How long does the rope have to be?

Richard

b.o.a.t.
18th May 2008, 11:59 PM
Do we want some bhoys to sail around?
Does anyone have some?
Does anyone want to make some?
How long does the rope have to be?

Richard

Do we dare set a course with buoys ?
Is it likely to bring out the Mr Jekyll in Dr MIK ?

I've no idea what the water depth is either.
Some 2L milk bottles, matching half-bricks, & some polycord to join them.
Or is that getting a bit sophisticated?

Witchdoctors Bureau reports
Saturday Shower or two. Min 9 Max 18

b.o.a.t.
22nd May 2008, 04:42 AM
Are we still a goer for Saturday pm at Westlakes ?
cheers
AJ

Daddles
22nd May 2008, 09:18 AM
I'm going to have to list myself as a probable no-show. I've got a uni assignment that the pixies are refusing to touch and it's beginning to look as though I'll have to do it myself :~

Richard

RobiBade
22nd May 2008, 11:36 PM
Sounds as if we need a new date to try for a get together!

Rob B

Boatmik
23rd May 2008, 04:38 AM
I won't be able to make anything for a couple of weeks. But two is enough! There might be more lurking.

Anyone else for Saturday?

b.o.a.t.
23rd May 2008, 06:06 AM
Well, I'm going to be there anyway.
Looks like I may have at least daughter (13y/o)
Possibly son as well (16y/o)
Probably from about one o'clock-ish.
cheers
AJ

b.o.a.t.
24th May 2008, 01:03 PM
Probably from about one o'clock-ish.
cheers
AJ

Probably more like 2 o'clock now - neighbour came in for a yak...

b.o.a.t.
24th May 2008, 09:22 PM
Suppose I shouldn't rub it in, but it was a glorious afternoon out there. Lacking only wind. Whole family came down so I took the entire fleet. Daughter briefly solo'd Teal.
Next time...

Boatmik
25th May 2008, 08:01 PM
Glad you went. I will try to be more together next time.

Pressure should be a bit off after next week.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
3rd September 2008, 11:00 PM
Getting close to a new rudder for Teal. Found and purchased a super-sharp
dreadnought file from a panel-beaters supply shop in magill - too sharp to use in hands
or gloves - made holding gadget tonight. Have a new sail & spars. Even have a
"new" 40y/o sewing machine that doesn't work to finish the sail off with. but i digress.

Wandered into the Flat Duckery today to spend a penny... a lot of pennies actually.
Laid my eyeballs on their first PDR's. They're growing on me. A lot. Daughter is
talking about making one as a school project - all sorts of things can earn credits
towards SACE these days.
Had the pleasure of interupting MIK from his labours to discuss a glorious afternoon.
Sort of afternoon that one thinks about possibly getting one's bottom wet again.

Since the Crows have a paper cats' chance in hell of a home final, anyone interested
in a ceremonial welcoming of spring at Westlakes (or somewhere) sometime in late
Sept ?

cheers
AJ

Boatmik
4th September 2008, 08:43 PM
Some of the last few days have been quite warm by recent standards...

... is the sailing season coming soon?

MIK

Daddles
5th September 2008, 06:16 PM
Some of the last few days have been quite warm by recent standards...

... is the sailing season coming soon?

MIK

This weekend will be a beaut - almost guaranteed to be because I'm busy and can't get out :doh:

Richard

b.o.a.t.
5th September 2008, 09:34 PM
This weekend will be a beaut - almost guaranteed to be because I'm busy and can't get out :doh:
Richard

Witchdoctor's Bureau says showery.
Which suits me as I'm working.

Have to advise that this arvo was an absolute pearler down at Murray Bridge. :2tsup:
Took the kayak down to burn off some frustration & prove to self that self is
disgustingly unfit & fat.
If people don't mind driving a bit further, there are a couple of nice little beaches
exposed by the low water. And plenty of depth in the middle. :U

Only thing I'm not sure about is water-skiers. Suspect the area is rife with them on
week-ends. :~

I know where there might be some 20L plastic drums too. Bush Fire Foam
concentrate comes in it. Each Airtractor AT802 uses 2/3 drum on each drop....

cheers
AJ

RobiBade
9th September 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi All,
I am planning to take the PDR to the Patawalonga at Glenelg this Friday as the weather is looking great. Any one else interested?
I will launch from the sea side of the river at a little sandy beach there at about 10.30am I hope.
Mik are you free?

Rob badenoch

m2c1Iw
9th September 2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Rob,
My PDR aint quite done but I'll be there to talk boats.

Cheers
Mike

Boatmik
9th September 2008, 08:16 PM
If all is well with work I will come along too. Maybe for an hour or so.

Mike, what time do you think you can be there?

MIK

m2c1Iw
9th September 2008, 09:23 PM
If all is well with work I will come along too. Maybe for an hour or so.

Mike, what time do you think you can be there?

MIK

10.30 Mik promised the finance minister a bight of lunch after.

Mike

b.o.a.t.
10th September 2008, 12:44 AM
Love to, but will have come off night-shift at 0730.
May or may not be compus mentus enough to drive...

RobiBade
11th September 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi All,
Small problem my end with time. :doh: I will be there about 12.30pm.

Rob Badenoch
PDR 124 "Blu"

m2c1Iw
11th September 2008, 07:37 PM
No worries Rob see you at 12.30. Hope Mik can still make it.

Mike

Boatmik
11th September 2008, 10:06 PM
yep ... planning to! 12.30

MIK

Boatmik
12th September 2008, 07:00 PM
Well .... Met Robin about 1.15pm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/2849723559_f0d542fc09.jpg

Robin rigged the PDR in about 5 minutes (check the photo times if you don't believe us.

Oh .. it was me taking the photos ... an important job!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2849725081_aaa0197930.jpg

He went for a sail. (yep that is a $50 homemade sail)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2849725455_ea3fe07290.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2849726943_5aec388875.jpg

I went for a sail

We had a chat

He went for a sail again (and ditched the boat). Now he know the PDRs come up with no water aboard!.

m2c1Iw
12th September 2008, 08:13 PM
Well guys sorry I missed you, I'm recovering from an op and despite my best intention I had to beat a hasty retreat after getting down to the Bay.
Next time

Mike

Boatmik
12th September 2008, 08:30 PM
Next time Mike!!! The water and weather is just starting to warm! Was really nice!

MIK

RobiBade
13th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Mike,
I live in Coromandel valley and there is a rumor that you are not far away. Call me on 0417020541 or send Email to [email protected] if you wish to have a coffee and PD Racer boat chat some time.

Rob Badenoch