PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Train Track

Stubchain
16th March 2008, 04:23 PM
I left a post on the router forum, no one replied so I thought it best to put a follow up here.

For some time I thought about making some Brio style wooden train track for my grandson's Thomas The Tank Engine sets. He has some bought pieces, but I thought I would knock up my own.

I searched the forums and found some posts, these mainly referred to buying a dedicated router bit set. From the posts on the forum it appears that the router bit set was a little bit different from the original track.

Anyway since I only wanted straight track initially I decided to use a dado blade. The track was fairly easy to make, the main issue was obviously the male fitting, I did this using a combination of a dado blade and the bandsaw, plus a bit of hand shaping. The female end is very easy using a drill and bandsaw.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome and now plan the trickier curves and junction sets. I have attached some pictures.

I must say that for young children this train series set is fantastic, he gets hours of fun from it.

I have seen some info on the net about making other track add ons so I'll be having a go soon.

If anyone want to know how I made the track reply to the post and I'll post some details.

watson
16th March 2008, 04:33 PM
Grandpas of the world unite!!!

dazzler
16th March 2008, 05:08 PM
Great to see Gordon leading the way!

"Dirty or clean, I'm a famous machine" :D

Tankstand
17th March 2008, 09:18 AM
Well done, very clever!

My wife and I went through our Ikea store last week and I spent some time studying these (http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4.asp?product_id=20872&se_id=37&page_id=98131300251043&Cat=20&Scat=76)

The track pieces are all females and are joined together with little "Peanut" shaped pieces, would that make things easier or more flexible?
More pics (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4241/imageuploadimagebt7.jpg)

Andy Mac
17th March 2008, 09:46 AM
Well done Stubchain!
I had a go a while back with mixed success. The straight bits were OK, and had a hit with a double female joiner, to supplement the double male supplied in a set. This opens up build options! Got a bit carried away trying a pivoting unit for varying the angle of a corner (as per commercial version) which failed dismally!:-
I also did a repair on a level crossing unit, where my son had broken the plastic male fitting on its first outing. Epoxied in a seperate dovetailed piece, out of beech, which has held up quite well.

Cheers,

Gra
17th March 2008, 09:50 AM
Well done, very clever!

My wife and I went through our Ikea store last week and I spent some time studying these (http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4.asp?product_id=20872&se_id=37&page_id=98131300251043&Cat=20&Scat=76)

The track pieces are all females and are joined together with little "Peanut" shaped pieces, would that make things easier or more flexible?
More pics (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4241/imageuploadimagebt7.jpg)

Can you imagine trying to keep track of the little peanuts....

munruben
17th March 2008, 10:13 AM
Looks good Stubchain great idea

Stubchain
17th March 2008, 01:16 PM
Yes the little connectors look very appetising, not sure how they are getting away with selling to 3 year olds. My understanding is that the IKEA track is just that little bit different to the one for the Thomas sets.

The male connector is certainly the problem. I'm trying to track down some 12mm wooden balls so I can drill and dowel them into one end. This will make the curved track easier.

I am working through an idea how to make the curve track using a router table and a circle cutting type jig.

One advantage of a system like this is that at least the trains run on time.

les88
17th March 2008, 02:01 PM
a good job did:2tsup::2tsup: you make the train as well?
les

Scally
17th March 2008, 02:05 PM
Someone is going to need a bigger house.

I will check the router forum but could you use a bearing guided flush trim router bit?

I spent many days going through the Thomas train stuff last Christmas. They even have different size tracks within the Thomas range.

HappyHammer
17th March 2008, 02:14 PM
Looks like a good CNC project to me....

HH.

Sawdust Maker
17th March 2008, 09:05 PM
nice track and good effort:2tsup:

somewhere I've even seen kits to make the trains ie the wheels and magnets etc - when I can remember where I'll post the info:)

Stubchain
17th March 2008, 09:55 PM
Yes Scally I could use a flush router bit, and I think I will. I have also seen an mdf template used to route the track grooves. It's a concave curve that matches the outside curve of the track. This is then used on a router table with a 6.35mm bit, then offset for the second "rail".

I don't think I'll get into making the trains, can't match the bought ones from Big W.

rhancock
18th March 2008, 10:24 AM
Yes the little connectors look very appetising, not sure how they are getting away with selling to 3 year olds. My understanding is that the IKEA track is just that little bit different to the one for the Thomas sets.

The male connector is certainly the problem. I'm trying to track down some 12mm wooden balls so I can drill and dowel them into one end. This will make the curved track easier.

I am working through an idea how to make the curve track using a router table and a circle cutting type jig.

One advantage of a system like this is that at least the trains run on time.

We've got the ikea set and the peanuts are glued into one end. The machine tolerances are not very good, so the fit is quite loose in the free end, but you can't get the peanuts out of the glued end.

Stubchain
21st March 2008, 01:20 PM
I found some 12mm wooden balls in a bead shop, cost me $6 for 50. Just about perfect for the male connectors. Here's a picture, and one of my grandson.