PDA

View Full Version : F & R Tough Wood Lathe

SpiritFlutes
16th March 2008, 06:10 PM
Hi I'm new here and think its a great forum with loads of info.:)

I just bought a F & R Tough wood lathe (yet to pick up) on ebay to replace my Mc 900 that I let go of last year when I aquired a Shopsmith Mark V, the shopsmith has it's uses but however it has many faults as a lathe, like motor vibration and flex in the tailstock to name just a few.

The F & R is a great tough, as the name implies, HD wood lathe and was a bargain. I admit I jumped into this quickly as not to miss out. I tried to search for the supplier to find the true value and parts availability before I bought it with no sucess. I have still not been able to locate any info on google searches, I'm sure someone here should know a thing of two about this lathe.

I know this much from the seller, who was selling it on behalf of his son, which of course he was honest and helpful but a little vauge, that its made in WA and has a new motor and many ascessories like a bowl saver and chisel set, and tool rest set etc. I figure it must be old 10 years or more and the manufacturer is no longer in production. That or I either have a mis spelling in the name.

I am confident it is a quality machine that will serve my current and future turning interests well. I plan to get into bowl and ornamental turning down the track.

As I will be useing it in my business I need to be aware of reliability issues so I don't get caught out by it letting me down in the middle of an order, or just before a show or exibition.

It would help to know;

weaknesses.
parts availability, price and compatibility info.
Any usefull tips and information from users.Thankyou:):)

PS there is a pic attached to this post

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/moose/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

funkychicken
16th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Saw that on ebay, looks like a good solid lathe.:2tsup:

Check if the centres line up (important that they do)

Apart from checking the belts & pulleys to see if they're in good condition and the pulleys are spinning true, I can't offer much advice

artme
16th March 2008, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the rathouse and therefore the vagries of its inhabitants.:):):D:D

Australian designed and built. Used in many high schools for many years.

Cast iron so heavy and stable with good vibration absorbtion properties.

Motor, if it ever needs replacing, can be replaced by a modern unit.

Parts should not be a worry as I'm sure bearings etc are pretty standard off the shelf stuff. V belts are standard.

Any minor repairs you may need should be no problem.

Wood Butcher
16th March 2008, 08:13 PM
Had one at my old work. Great lathes, use standard bearing so easy to get if needed, Nice and heavy due to casting and can still get aftermarket banjos, toolrests etc quite easily.

funkychicken
16th March 2008, 08:21 PM
Hey, I see you're in Kyogle...Do you know Arthur Davis? He's my uncle:rolleyes:

SpiritFlutes
17th March 2008, 01:11 AM
No I dont know Arthur but I know Rod Davis, is he related to Arthur?

SpiritFlutes
17th March 2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks to all those members who replied. :2tsup:

I am now stoked:2tsup: as there are only good news comments and no bad ones about the TOUGH lathes, It makes you wonder how they went bust? China wasn't really a threat then either to quality like it is today.

I cant wait to get it spinning, It will be my first go at a real lathe, not some china copy. Or some yankee doodle poodle (Shopsmith)

There is just the right space for it in my shop when I'm ready for the dusty job.

I have found the http://www.woodsmith.com.au (http://www.woodsmith.com.au/) website and emailed them about parts and accessories.

I think this will be something to swear by-in a good way!! Not swear at!!

thanks again:):D

Evan Pavlidis
19th March 2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks to all those members who replied. :2tsup:

I am now stoked:2tsup: as there are only good news comments and no bad ones about the TOUGH lathes, It makes you wonder how they went bust? China wasn't really a threat then either to quality like it is today.

I cant wait to get it spinning, It will be my first go at a real lathe, not some china copy. Or some yankee doodle poodle (Shopsmith)

There is just the right space for it in my shop when I'm ready for the dusty job.

I have found the http://www.woodsmith.com.au (http://www.woodsmith.com.au/) website and emailed them about parts and accessories.

I think this will be something to swear by-in a good way!! Not swear at!!

thanks again:):D

I was at the woodsmith last week and Len had a second hand TOUGH lathe on display for sale. Looked very solid, good condition and the finish was well intact. However it did not have cam locks for the banjo and tail stock, instead a standard nut and bolt fitting requiring a spanner to loosen and tighten. But he does have cam lock units in stock. He mentioned that his company manufactured them and he still has parts (eg. banjos, tool rests, tail stocks).
He intends to start making them again. If I had the $$$$ at the time it would've been parked (I mean bolted) in the workshop by now.

Cheers, Evan